Princess Recap!!

Friday we went to MK. It was my dads first vacation ever and his first time with a mobility scooter. The man was so excited he was just zipping around from thing to thing as fast as his scooter would go. My husband and I were running to keep up with him! We did 28,000 steps on Friday and none of those steps would be considered an easy stroll!! I did wear an old pair of my running shoes but they didn't have the custom insoles in them (It can be hard to get the insoles back in the proper spot and I didn't want to have to deal with that on race day.) By the middle of the day my feet were hurting.. I tried telling my dad to slow down; however, it was very cold at this point so we were kind of running from show to show to stay warm. I started doing my PT stretches when ever we were in line but since we were watching shows there wasn't that many lines. At the end of the day I did my yoga for feet video but I think the damage was already done. On Saturday we went to Animal Kingdom. I told my dad that he wasn't allowed to put his scooter past the middle speed and I wore my running shoes with the insoles in them. Animal Kingdom was insanely packed so that helped a lot. We took it super easy too. We watched tough to be a bug and lion king. We had lunch at saluti canteen and then we went back to the resort for a couple hours. I did yoga and PT stretches, then took a nap. We went back to AK and ate dinner at Tuskar house and then rode Flight of Passage. I was in bed by 9:30. Probably a little late for the 2am wake up but .... Disney.

I woke up at 2am, got dressed did my stretches and was on the 3am bus. I ate my usual bagel and cream cheese and had time to meet minnie mouse before the corals opened. I timed it perfectly because after meeting Minnie I went to the runners only area used the restroom and as I was coming out of the porta potty, the large group of people had started moving. So I hopped in line and walked the 15 miles to the coral. Okay it wasn't 15 miles; however, it was not insignificant. When we got to the coral at 4:20am I felt good. The walk actually helped my feet and I was towards the front of the coral. I wanted to do more stretches but there was no room so I stood there for a while but my feet started hurting so I sat down. Then my feet were falling asleep so I stood up. I repeated this sit stand sit cycle until the first wave went off at 5:30am. Once the first waive went off, everyone stood and walked closer together. There was no longer room to sit so I had to stand there. My feet were killing me. An hour later we were finally walking to the start line. I was in the second waive of coral H and got started at 6:32am. I kept it easy the first mile. My feet were hurting but it was manageable. Even though I used the bathroom before I joined the line and I didn't drink anything at all I had to pee. We passed the first group of Porta potties on the course and there was a line. I was tracking the balloon ladies and I knew they hadn't started yet; however, I didn't want to wait in line and thought that maybe the need to pee was just in my head. So I kept going. Just before the 1 mile mark there were more porta potties with a much shorter line. The balloon ladies still hadn't started yet and it was not in my head so I stopped. Here's where I started making mistakes.

My first mile was done in 18:52 but I knew that before the stop I was on track for a 16 min mile. I got the text that I had crossed the one mile mark at the same time that I got the text about the balloon ladies crossing the start. That upset me. So I tried to make up the pace in mile 2 and I did. my pace for mile 2 was 15:37. I slowed down in mile 3 back to the 16 min pace that was my target and I felt okay. My feet were hurting more, but everything else felt good. I could tell that I'd still be running easy if it weren't for the food pain. So I tried my best to just stick to the plan of running when it beeps and walking when it beeps and just not dwelling on the foot pain. Not yet anyway. it was too early for that. I was doing okay in mile 4 too and was on target for a 16 min mile until we hit a huge bottle neck getting ready to go into the bus area for MK. I couldn't run so I just walked at the pace of the crowd and mile 4 was 19:20. As I passed the 4 mile marker I got a text that the balloon ladies had crossed mile 3.. I was disappointed that I hadn't made any headway so I picked up the pace to make up that slow mile again. I managed a 16 min pace for mile 5 which in hindsight was probably a good thing but in the moment I was just so upset that it wasn't in the 15s. Mile 6 was running through MK and the wheels fell off any more. I kept coming up the photo pass tents while I was walking and I did't want to look like I was walking in all my pictures so I would run past them and start walking again. There were also alot of people around me during MK, it wan't a bottle neck but it was a little hard to stick to the intervals, so I ran when I could and walked most of it. Mile 6 was 17:02. Miles 7 and 8 were pretty uneventful. I was able to stick to the intervals as planned but my feet were hurting more and more making it impossible to keep a 16 min pace. During mile 8 I kept telling myself. "Make it to mile 10 before you start walking. Just make it to mile 10 before you give up." Mile 7 was 16:15 and Mile 8 was 16:28.

Mile 9 was the worst mile I've ever walked in my entire life. Everything hurt, There were all kinds of characters that I wanted to stop for but couldn't because the balloon ladies were still only a mile behind me and the sun. The sun was beating down directly on us. I was miserable and throwing myself the biggest pity party you ever did see. I cried the entire mile and not the happy Disney tears either. I finished in 18:23. Most of mile 10 was just as bad. I passed the med tent and almost quit... but I thought I drug my dad all the way down to FL to see me run this race so I had to finish. After that I looked around and saw that more people looked as miserable as me than looked okay. I took comfort in that. Maybe it's not me.. Maybe it's the course. And around towards the end of mile 10 I shuffled along when it beeped to run. I don't know if you could consider it running but I was making an effort and I was officially done with my pity party. Mile 10 was 18:13. The beginning of mile 11 we were on the overpass going to Epcot. Once we got to the bridge I looked over and could see people being swept from the course. I looked over to the girl beside me and asked if she had done this before, she said no. I explained that I read if the balloon ladies pass you in world show case they won't sweep you. She said "I hope that's true" and I agreed. It was obvious at this point that we would be passed, it was just a matter of when it would happen. I kept talking to that girl.. Her name was Becca and guess where she's from? Richmond!!! I told her I had done the Richmond half twice and this was nothing like that. She agreed. She told me that she was training to do the Richmond full in 2019 but broke her ankle and this was her first race back. We were both struggling because alot of the coarse was banked. This was hurting her ankles and causing my feet to grip weird. She was also staying at all star music (which is where we were).. It was a crazy small world moment and I'm so glad I met her when I did. Mile 11 was 18:25. Mile 12 was brutal. We were just trying to make it to world showcase and we were back stage. It felt like every turn was going to take us into the park but it was just more winding and winding.. back stage. Also, we kept passing cast members telling us we were 8 mins ahead of pace, then 4 mins ahead, then 1 min ahead... We made it to world showcase but didn't have much time to celebrate because right as we crossed the entrance, the balloon ladies passed us. I asked them if it's true that we are safe and one of them turned around and said "You have to keep moving at a good pace!" so we tried to pick up the pace, but it felt like the harder we tried the more we were keeping the same pace. Mile 12 was 18:19. I told Becca "We can run a mile right?! We just did it 12 times!" She said "I can't run at all right now!" I clarified that I meant we can make it one more mile and she was not doing well at all Billy. So I started asking her rapid fire questions "What's your fave park?, who's your fave character? Fave ride? Fave movie?" I remember her fave movie was Lilo and stitch because it's mine too! We talked about how underrated that movie is. And I admitted that I was out of questions to distract her with and we laughed about that. People around us were starting to get angry. One girl was complaining about all the bottle necks and said the balloon ladies didn't have to deal with that because thee were last. It wasn't like a little grumble either they were out right angry and yelling. I told Becca "don't listen to them. If they have energy to yell like that, they can pass us, but they are choosing not too." She agreed and I think us distracting each other and trying to get away from those people really did the trick because mile 13 was 17:45. Also, Lilo and Stitch were on the 13th mile marker!! So we got a kick out of that! I told her we were going to finish and she didn't think we would but I said no, look! It was the finish line! We were almost there!!! I said, do you think we can run once we pass Daisy (probably 30 feet from the finish) She said I think so. So I grabbed her hand and we ran across the finish line like we were best friends!

My finish time was 3:53:05... But I will tell you where I saw the most improvement. After the race, I took a 12 min ice bath and took a nap. Once I woke up, I was sore, but I was ready to go to the parks and that we did! I was chaffed a little but other than that I was perfectly fine to walk around the parks and have a pretty active evening afterwards. Le Cellier was worth the hype and wearing that medal around the park was one of the coolest experiences..

Congrats! Your positive attitude definitely shows in your pictures! It looks like you came close to being injured by Little Bo Peep's Staff at the finish line.

Christine

Congrats! Your positive attitude definitely shows in your pictures! It looks like you came close to being injured by Little Bo Peep's Staff at the finish line.

Christine

They thankfully do not have photopass on the highway of death so I'm sure that's why my pictures look like I was positive! There were more than a few dark miles through out! LOL!

Also, yea bo peep definitely hit me and like 3 other people in that last tenth of a mile! I don't mind though. We finished!

Great job on finding a way to distract yourselves from all the fears about not finishing near the end and finding a way to power through to the finish line. 2016 U.S. Olympic marathoner Jared Ward has talked about how your body will want to stop first, but if you can keep your mind in a good place your brain will tell your body that you're able to keep going and your body will follow. On the other hand, once your brain decides that you are finished, your body will almost immediately follow suit.

Sounds like you did a good job working through those negative thoughts and not letting them take over even though you felt miserable.

So I’ve been really bad at updating this journal recently and I think I know why it was the first thing to go when I started spiraling.

The reason this journal worked so well in 2018 is because no matter how my week went, it forced me to sit down, acknowledge it face to face and make a plan for how to do better or maintain the following week. So when I started going through a darker time in 2019 the last thing I wanted to do was sit down and face my real feelings face to face. Much less take ownership and move forward with a plan. I kinda just wanted to wallow in my own self pity party.

When things started getting better, I had already lost the “habit” and it was easy to not make time for it. Also, I felt like I owed an explanation for being MIA. So the though of reliving everything to put it into words was daunting. And it also felt disingenuous to never address it, so I just continued to distance myself.

So basically in a nutshell, I started hating myself. I felt like a failure in everything that I did and running was just another useless thing I was bad at so why even try.

I’m doing better. Truly!! But I still decided to take a 3 month break from training. Not from running but from training. I think the pressure of the next big finish line started to take the fun out of it so I’m not going to pick my next goal race until May 23rd (that’s 3 months from Princess!). I’m learning to live in the moment and not have a plan for every aspect of my life. One of the big catalysts to my spiral was my husband and I trying to plan if we were going to have kids and when. I was just not able to wrap my head around an unknown that’s that big in my life. I’m still struggling with that one but I’m more and more okay with the “when the time is right we’ll know” approach.

So far my break has been that. A true blue break! I’ll admit, I was hopping to have some kind of regular rhythm by now, but with my plantar fasciitis misbehaving, I took some extra time off. Until tonight!!

All of this Corona stuff has taken over my life. It’s all my mother in law texts us about 24/7, it’s all over all of my news feeds and as you can imagine working in the Petri dish they call a call center, it’s something that we’re hearing about our entire shifts. Today after work I was driving home and Lizzo’s “Good as hell” came on. It was 68 degrees, the sun was out and it was one of those perfect early spring evenings. I came home, put my keys on the counter, looked at my husband and said “I’m going for a run, care to join?” He did not, and that was fine with me. I got dressed, turned on my easy run intervals and I was off. Just 2 miles in 35 mins. My foot started hurting at 3/4 of a mile so I stoped and stretched. That took care of that. I also stopped to pet a doggie! Something I wouldn’t normally do if I were on a “training” run because I would want to stay focused and make sure I didn’t mess up my pace. It was nice and I wanted to keep going! But I started getting hungry and I knew I shouldn’t push the foot!

I think my goal for the rest of the week is to run every other day and slowly add in some easy yoga.

Talk to you soon!!
Katie

Welp. Corona has hit my town and the first case is someone from my job! They work in the warehouse portion of the building so I have had no contact with them, but I have had contact with people who’ve had contact so that’s a little scary. Additionally it was only his preliminary test that came back positive and we’re still waiting for the CDC to confirm.

Ive spent the entire day getting set up to work from home and now I’m working from home (can’t you tell :)) I’m going to do a quick yoga routine before bed. BTW even though it’ll be after midnight it still counts Wednesday as long as I do it before I fall asleep!

y’all pray for me please or send good vibes if you’re not into that! I’m kinda sad I have to avoid contact with my dad for 2 weeks but if it keeps him healthy it’s worth it!

Update: the person with the corona virus doesn’t exist??? Maybe.. all I know is according to the news there have been no confirmed cases in Lynchburg... they had a statement from My company stating it was a matter of “miscommunication.” I got a text from the emergency alert system stating that the deep clean is finished and we will all be reporting back to work tomorrow (I’m off till Sunday). I feel pretty conflicted by the whole thing. I wish we would release more details of what happen but I think they are scared that if they send anything out to all employees the screen shot will make it on the bell news again... on one hand, I’m glad it was a false alarm. I’m glad that the companies first reaction was to close and keep us safe and make sure everyone was getting paid. On the other hand I’m frustrated that this happened. I actually felt at peace yesterday when I thought it was here. I wasn’t happy that it was here or that someone had it. But I was relieved that we weren’t waiting for the shoe to drop. We’ve pepared and have everything we need and I was prepared to be at home for the 2 week quarantine. Now there’s extra confusion, and frustration and I’m back just waiting helplessly for something to happen... I can’t not go to work. And I’m a supervisor so even though I have a computer to work from home, I still need to be in the building if my team is and they aren’t all set up to work from home yet. I could make a fuss and I’m sure they’d let me stay at home but then I’m putting a burden on my peers and a lot of them have kids at home they have to worry about so it seems a little selfish for me to make a fuss if they are not.

durring all of this coming out today, I did get very overwhelmed and decided to go for a run and clear my head. Only 1 mile today though. My feet stated hurting again and stopping to stretch didn’t help. So I finished the loop and did my PT stretches when I got home. I’m going to do the strength training circuit that the PT gave me tomorrow. And I’ll probably do my yoga for feet workout once I’m off work tonight.

Stay safe out there everyone!

Okay. So still no official word from my company but rumour mill says that the person lives close to the NC state line and went to the dr in NC. They came to work showing flu like symptoms so following our protocol he was asked the list of questions (have you traveled, have you been tested.. that kind of thing). He was apparently confused on what he had been tested for and then the confusion spread further through our leadership. It all happened during 2nd shift which means leadership was limited and then everything snowballed from there. Again.. All rumour mill nothing official. But I'm back at work today.

I've decided I'm not actually scared of the virus. I've been staying home when not at work. I'm young and healthy so I don't have to worry about dying. I am avoiding contact with people that I could kill if I infected them. I only go to the grocery store once a week to replace things that we've used up and I'm extra careful when I'm out. Even though I'm taking all the precautions that I can and I'm not actually scared of the virus.. I still don't want to be here though. However, I've decided not to make a fuss because there are people here who are actually scared. People who live with parents and grandparents and kids. Or people who have asthma or smoke or XYZ.. If anyone should get to work from home, it's those people. It still doesn't help though I wish we could all work from home and I think we will get there sooner than later.

I didn't do my PT circuit on Friday but I did give both dogs a bath. One of them is 75 pounds and the other is 60. They both HATE water and are slippery when wet so I'm counting that as a workout. I did nothing yesterday. So tonight I'm doing something. I want to run because it's beautiful outside but I think the PT circuit will be better for me in the long run, so maybe I'll compromise and do the PT circuit outside. We'll see. I'm committing to a 20 min workout, but I'm not making any promises as to what that work out will be.

I've only done 9 workouts this month. I'm enjoying the break from the stress of a race day looming; however, I'm missing the structure of a training plan. Think I may go back to 21 day fix or something short like that. I'll just have to figure out how to still get runs in during those 3 weeks.

I ran on my lunch break the other day though. My company is allowing us to work from home in shifts so that we can still socially distance. Having an hour long lunch is amazing when you don't have to drive anywhere and are already where you want to be. I had time to go on a 30 min run, do a quick 7 min cool down yoga and take a shower before it was time to clock back in! I could get used to this work from home thing. In the office today; however, I'll be off on Sat and Sun and the weather is beautiful. I definitely need to get some kind of workout in Tomorrow because it's been 2 days since my last activity. Will try and do PT and a run.

I haven't run since 5/7... I miss it, and I miss all of you guys. So just wanted to say Hey. No real reason. Just got depressed and overwhelmed and had to take something off my plate. I didn't choose to take running off my plate, it just kinda fell off. Don't give up on me yet - I'll be back!

I haven't run since 5/7... I miss it, and I miss all of you guys. So just wanted to say Hey. No real reason. Just got depressed and overwhelmed and had to take something off my plate. I didn't choose to take running off my plate, it just kinda fell off. Don't give up on me yet - I'll be back!

Hang in there! We're all discombobulated to some extent. You do what you need to do to keep yourself sane and happy.

Sooo......

I accidently started a running challenge/group at my job. I told a friend that I was considering making it a goal to run, walk or jog a 5k every week from the first week of the year with the last one being on 3/11. Their response was challenge accepted and it kind of snowballed from there. Now there are 4 of us run, walking or jogging a 5k every week for the next 3 months.. So I guess that means I need to bring back my weekly entries here.

Overall Goal - I want to run a 5k on 3/11. I want to feel strong and capable and prepared for that run. Reading back through my training journal, I think a big part of my problem was that at some point I stopped making the training a priority and then the races were awful because I wasn't as prepared as I should have been.

Overall Plan - Going to start off by walking so that my focus can be on working my plan and remembering what it feels like to have this be one of my top priorities. Then, I'm going to start the couch to 5k training plan again. I'd like to have completed it a full week before 3/11 so I'll need to start the training plan on the week of the 10th. The plan calls for running 3 days a week and that's what I'm going to stick with the occasional 4 run week. In order to fit that into my goal, once a week after my training is over I'll keep walking until I hit the 3.11 mile mark.

WK 1 Weather -
WK 1 Work Schedule - Sun -6:45am -3:45pm, Mon -Tues 9a -6p Wed - Thurs 3p- 12a

WK 1 Plan -
Sat - 30 min walk
Mon - 30 min walk on lunch break
Wed - 30 min walk
Sat - 3.11 mile walk.

How am I feeling? - Scared! I did a hand full of squats the other day and I'm still sore so IDK how this is going to go.... Also, a little excited... Trying to take this week by week and not let myself get overwhelmed by the future. Although in the back of my head I'm already thinking it would be cool to then do a 10k every week from 3/11 - 6/22 and then parlay that into training for the VA 10 miller in September. And at that point I'm already trained to run a half marathon so I might as well run Richmond again since the races are so close to each other... But I'm really really really tying to tell that part of my brain to shut up and let me enjoy the challenge I have sat for myself now. That's never been a strong suit of mine so we'll see.

I like this challenge! It feels very similar to run a race every month (I'd do that again, but ya know... covid). I have a carrot to keep me going each week. Also, I like a good gimmick. If I only do the minimum, I'll get 3 miles in a week and if I do it right, I'll be a much stronger and confident runner again.

So yea! I guess I'll be making an update on the 9th or 10th to let you know how my first week goes.

I'M READY!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter