Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens

vinotinto

Just Keep Swimming
KTP has posted about a non-confirmed rumor about modifications that may be in place when WDW reopens (whenever that is)

Current ideas that are being discussed (not confirmed) are as follows:
  • Suspending meet and greets with face characters.
  • Reducing the maximum capacity of transportation options.
  • Continuation of hand washing stationsand sanitizers.
  • Re-opening the parks in phases with limited attractions and shows that can be adapted to capacity and guest spacing needs. This has been implemented before, following 9/11 attacks and hurricane closures.
  • Limiting the number of people in indoor queue spaces. This may see the use of virtual queues, similar to the Boarding Groups that were in use for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
  • Eliminating entertainment that requires guests to be closely gathered, such as nightly firework shows and parades.
  • Table-service restaurant capacity reduced to maintain a maximum of50% occupancy. Tables will be spaced at least six ft apart.
  • Utilization of Mobile Ordering via My Disney Experience only, no queuing for Quick-Service Restaurants.

rpb718

DIS Veteran
Table service restaurants where the same server is going from table to table serving food? Not thought out enough.

Even if only half the people that were planning to go show up on say June 1, it would still be too many people to effectively implement these measures. And what else - only load every other car in 7DMT? Just use the first and last rows for each Splash boat? Not sure what they'd do for Star Tours? The list goes on.

It's not WDW, it's WDW-lite.

• Krandor

DIS Veteran
    It very well might be when they reopen. Depending on how long this goes we could be treading in depression like numbers which would mean a big loss in the travel industry. Disney will cut everywhere possible, they are doing so already.
    And I'm expecting it. It looks like 12-18 months for any vaccine. Things will need to re-open before then once it looks like things are under control and cases are dropping but even then places that open are going to still need to have precautions. So a WDW-Lite with much lower caps on attendence and lower numbers of people on a ride/atraction/show are very possible. Things like virtual Queues though might be a good longer term strategy since nobody likes standing in line.

The time period between when cases start to drop and when there is an actual vaccine are going to be very interesting and there may be some things done during that period that stay around as a good idea. From a WDW perspective if somebody can go to 7DMT tap in and get told line in 70 minutes and come back then and can then go grab lunch in a 50% capacity place and come back in 70 minutes and almost walk right on people may like that and want it to continue even after there is a vaccine.

A lot is going to change over the next year or two.

rpb718

DIS Veteran
    From a WDW perspective if somebody can go to 7DMT tap in and get told line in 70 minutes and come back then and can then go grab lunch in a 50% capacity place and come back in 70 minutes and almost walk right on people may like that and want it to continue even after there is a vaccine.

A lot is going to change over the next year or two.
    Might as well go back to paper FPs - only make it "virtual" paper FPs so you don't have to sprint to a kiosk. Yes I do agree, there will be a lot of changes over the next year or 2 and folks need to realize now that there may never be a return to what we currently think of as "normal" at WDW. Now that I've thought more about it, let's look at the possibilities. What if WDW reduced their park capacities long term a certain percent? What if park hours were extended to spread out whatever the future "crowds" will be? What if all tickets automatically allowed park hopping so that some folks didn't feel tied into one park for a day? Now if the end results of the "new normal" allows for a more relaxing vacation experience, there may be a lot of folks who like it - especially those who may have never been to WDW before or those that have been their recently and found the parks more crowded than normal.

When the parks do reopen, the one thing I would not expect to hear anytime soon is for a CM to say to "fill in all available space" in any queue.

• bookwormde

<font color=darkorchid>Heading out now, another ad
    Interesting, I wrote a post early this month, before the closures about is if it is possible to social distance at WDW that hit all these points. The one piece that is missing is that park capacity would have to be reduced dramatically to make it possible.. I set the point of 20% of historical. which I thought was practical by limiting attendance to on site guests. Comprehensive regular CM health monitoring would also be essential,

Given what we have learned about transmission since then, I am much more skeptical that it is possible to do this effectively. I do think that many of these ideas would help with other infectious disease transmission after this crisis over, We all remember the times when stomach viruses were going around

cj.scribbles

Earning My Ears
    As a CM I can tell you I've heard about none of this so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The only thing on there that I see as viable would be the limiting guest numbers for enclosed spaces at a show or ride and providing more hand washing/sanitization stands.

Other than that all of these options greatly impact the overall Guest Experience when visiting the parks.
    I'm no expert or anything, but I don't know that the powers that be would ever have a limit to Guests greeting our characters -the amount of outrage it would spark makes me nervous just thinking about it.

Also the mobile ordering system barely works as it is, it would take forever for it to become a viable option. We still aren't even able to effectively use our stocking system which has been in "effect" for the past year and a half and we still haven't got chip reading registers in any park aside from Epcot! It may not seem like it to everyone else but it takes Disney forever and a half to actually change things internally.

Things like the castle changing overnight are wonderful feats performed by magic and mice!
    The implementation and improvement of technology however...not so much.

Also I can't imagine the fireworks shows NOT being a thing for the same reason as I can't see them restricting character meet and greets. Part of the reason WHY people come to Disney is for the characters and the nighttime shows; eliminating those things or even restricting them would see massive amounts of guests demanding returns even if they had been given a notice prior. It's not necessarily a reason to NOT implement those ideas, but the guest experience would be suffering and that's something that Disney tries to not allow.

• cj.scribbles

Earning My Ears
    Comprehensive regular CM health monitoring would also be essential,
    Trust me when I tell you they won't.
    Disney has great health services, I won't lie, but it's nothing compulsory.
    If it is something that occurred at work you can get workers comp and I supposed you'd be monitored that way, but you're also put on restrictions whenever you do that. You're removed from your workplace and often given other tasks or things to do that fit whatever new restrictions you may have, or you may not work at all.

Many people don't report their work injuries just to avoid things like this.
    And because Disney operates on a point system if you call out sick x amount of times within a certain time frame you can be fired, which is another reason why people go to work sick anyways. Getting a day off at Disney for an illness or family emergency is almost impossible so the idea that they'd "monitor" our health is almost laughable tbh.

bookwormde

<font color=darkorchid>Heading out now, another ad
    Trust me when I tell you they won't.
    Disney has great health services, I won't lie, but it's nothing compulsory.
    If it is something that occurred at work you can get workers comp and I supposed you'd be monitored that way, but you're also put on restrictions whenever you do that. You're removed from your workplace and often given other tasks or things to do that fit whatever new restrictions you may have, or you may not work at all.

Many people don't report their work injuries just to avoid things like this.
    And because Disney operates on a point system if you call out sick x amount of times within a certain time frame you can be fired, which is another reason why people go to work sick anyways. Getting a day off at Disney for an illness or family emergency is almost impossible so the idea that they'd "monitor" our health is almost laughable tbh.
    I hear you, but given the potential liability and its cost , limiting employee to guest transmission is likely to be a priory, so completely different incentive than have existed in the past for Disney

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
    Here is my personal opinion, which you may or may not agree with. I think it's good that they have a plan to get the parks up and running sooner rather than later. I think that opening the parks in a limited capacity is better than remaining closed for a much longer period of time. So, for that, I am glad they are hashing out some ways to make it work.

That said, it's hard to put the toothpaste in the tube, right? And I worry that many of these changes, while right now being a temporary solution, could become a permanent thing. And having Chapek in charge doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they will want the parks to return back to full experience; they've already cut entertainment.

I find it interesting that they refer to the face characters as "suspending" and parades, etc as "eliminating." That's a little scary. I cannot imagine a future that does not involve parades, fireworks, Fantasmic, and so on. As far as quick service, I think that's good in theory IF it's a temporary thing. But, the fact is, sometimes Grandpa and Grandma might be there with the grandkids, and maybe they don't use MDE. Heck, maybe they don't even have a smart phone. I know my parents would be in trouble.

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

DIS Veteran
    The big question then would be:
    Does WDW-lite = Ticket Price-lite
    I don't think so - I don't think Disney wants to set precedence by lowering ticket prices. My guess is they start with some of this in place for when it first opens (and when there is guidance from CDC ok to open, not April first or close to that ... but just to help ease into park opening) .... those that are really desparate to get into the parks or already have APs, etc will still come to get some of their Disney fix.

Then as they ramp back up to full operations I suspect to see a lot of discounting on room and packages (where they can sort of bury a ticket discount)

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
    The big question then would be:
    Does WDW-lite = Ticket Price-lite
    This kind of opens a whole new can of worms, as you have a LOT of people who have already purchased tickets, and tickets were purchased based on a regular Disney experience, not a half Disney experience. So, do they refund these people a pro-rated amount? When you buy those tickets, there is an understanding and specification that you do not get refunded if rides are closed and refurbishments can happen and so on. But, this is a whole different ballgame.

Then, next you look at non-expiring/non date based tickets. Is it fair to take a full day off one of those tickets with limited park use? But, how else do you do it? Half-days? I personally have 5 day hoppers for our September trip, 14 day expiration. Would I really want to waste them on, like you said, WDW-lite? Not everyone is going to have the disposable income to save those tickets for another time, and purchase new tickets, even lesser priced tickets.

Next, you look at annual pass holders, and when you consider the cost of an annual pass, upwards of $1,000+, when people purchase those, many people look at the value per day. If they are going to be in the parks enough days to justify that price point, they purchase it. So, again...do you start looking at pro-rating those tickets to reflect the value of what they are getting.

Let me be clear, I am not suggesting anything. And, I am not leaning any particular way. I just think it's a very tricky situation, a slippery slope, and there is probably no 100% right answer, because someone is going to take it on the chin.

mamapenguin

DIS Veteran
    From the company that has perfected, "Charge more and deliver less" I doubt it. If anything they'll make it a hard ticket, call it an "exclusive event" and charge 2X! :)
    In this new economy, they are going to have to adapt or get left behind. Greed just isn’t going to be tolerated anymore. People’s values are changing as rapidly as their incomes.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.