Rule Against Kids Riding on Laps one wheelchairs?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

We are currently on vacation at Disneyland. My husband is a quadriplegic who uses a motorized wheelchair. We always bring a stroller, but occasionally one of our two younger children rides on his lap.

Twice now, at security, one of the officers has told my husband that our child has to get off his lap and that disney has a rule against kids riding on laps in wheelchairs. Both times we have completely ignored hem and told our kid (whichever one was riding) to get back on if they want as
This is obviously a parenting decision.

We are both horribly offended at this overreach. Our kids have ALWAYS ridden on my hsuband’s lap periodically while at Disney and we have gone for the past seven years straight (to both DL and WDW). We have never heard of this before.

Is this new?

I'm horribly offended you think it ok to ignore a rule in place for the safety of you and all other people in the park.

You brought a stroller, use it. And stop telling the kids it is ok to ignore the rules at your whim.

There is no cutting blade on a power mobility device, so perhaps no risk of amputations such as from power and riding lawnmowers, but there is the risk of crush injury for children caught beneath powered devices, as well as the risk of head injury. Allowing children to ride on or play near any such devices has a risk of injury. Every year at this time I read somewhere about a child being mangled because they fell when riding with a parent or grandparent or because they were playing near or approached when someone was operating equipment. These are not fun things to play with, and there is the risk of harm.

Both times we have completely ignored hem and told our kid (whichever one was riding) to get back on if they want...

Why?

A parenting decision is one that only impacts your child.

And even if this only impacted the OP's child, if the child fell on their head, if the OP's husband couldn't stop them from falling...it's still now an injury that happened on disney property, and it's a pretty strong bit of American nature to want to go after the place where it happened. Disney doesn't want that possibility to happen, so they have made a rule to keep it from happening. And to keep harm from happening to a child.

I get her point. My husband uses an ECV. We too are used to being able to have our son jump on with dad if he gets tired. I was just coming here to see what the rules on this were, as my son is getting a bit tall for me to justify the stroller unless he really needs it. Since her husband is in a wheelchair permanently, I would think the rules would be different for him vs my husband who is on an ECV. I suppose though, after reading all these posts, it really comes down to a case by case basis. In this case Disney said no. I'm fine with it, that means I get to keep my drink and snack holder.

I get her point. My husband uses an ECV. We too are used to being able to have our son jump on with dad if he gets tired. I was just coming here to see what the rules on this were, as my son is getting a bit tall for me to justify the stroller unless he really needs it. Since her husband is in a wheelchair permanently, I would think the rules would be different for him vs my husband who is on an ECV. I suppose though, after reading all these posts, it really comes down to a case by case basis. In this case Disney said no. I'm fine with it, that means I get to keep my drink and snack holder.

It is not at all a case by case basis. The rule is quite clear, you cannot have anyone riding on your lap if you are using an ECV or motorized wheelchair.

I see nowhere that the PP said to her kids to disagree infact it sounds like her child is a baby or atlest small ebought to use a baby career ( or what ever it is called) and from what I have heard if the child's head is below your chin then you are fine to have the child on your lap ( and as long as the child is not in the way of the controls) I really see nothing wrongwhat this PP said or did but the OP yes what they did was very wrong in a few ways.

Standard wheelchair, yes. ECV, no

Maybe she thought there would be other blatantly rule breakers that would agree with her!! Guess how her children will grow up that she's setting such an example for - no need to listen to authority, just do what you want - might come back to bite her! :sad2:
While I understand this rule the number of people making this comment surprises me.

Did your parents really not teach you to challenge rules? Mine did.

I was told on more then one occasion for specific things that I had my parents permission to break rules and they would deal with it later.

I'm thinking about them and honestly some of them are things that completely make sense to me and some are things I'm sure this group wouldn't be ok with.

Things some probably would be:
1) When talking about a story with a student that needed to use the restroom and because the teacher was on one of the kids are leaving too much kicks wouldn't let them and they had an accident was told if a teacher wouldn't let me leave to just go. This was in elementary school and thinking back is funny since the only time I ever had one in school I was too shy to ask nevermind leave. By Middle school I would have, and I did walk out of a high school class once.
2) For the one above was supported by parent in walking out of class when a good friend who was having a very hard time mentally was told she couldn't go to the guidance councelor in a class we were barely doing anything in anyway. I walked out with her and took her to guidance. Even the school didn't get me in trouble for this one.
3) Posting a memorial I was told wasn't allowed to a friend that died in high school on the morning show we set up. I have no idea why the teacher wouldn't let us. He assumed someone else did it screaming at her I told him I did and would gladly explain to the superintendent he was threatening her with why (which wasn't scary I had worked with him before and the superintendent was really a quite reasonable person) he immediately just went oh and said nothing else. Never heard anything more about this one.

Ones I'm sure most wouldn't:
1) Sneaking candy into the movie theatre to not buy the expensive ones there.
2) going to see movies that were above my age level (actually not sure this one is against a rule since I was with my of age siblings but I was seeing rated R movies by 13 with my parents permission)

I honestly think my parents having this mindset made me more of a rule follower in some ways. I questioned alot of others but was given a reason for them and followed them.

While I understand this rule the number of people making this comment surprises me.

I was told on more then one occasion for specific things that I had my parents permission to break rules and they would deal with it later.

I'm thinking about them and honestly some of them are things that completely make sense to me and some are things I'm sure this group wouldn't be ok with.

1) When talking about a story with a student that needed to use the restroom and because the teacher was on one of the kids are leaving too much kicks wouldn't let them and they had an accident was told if a teacher wouldn't let me leave to just go. This was in elementary school and thinking back is funny since the only time I ever had one in school I was too shy to ask nevermind leave. By Middle school I would have, and I did walk out of a high school class once.
2) For the one above was supported by parent in walking out of class when a good friend who was having a very hard time mentally was told she couldn't go to the guidance councelor in a class we were barely doing anything in anyway. I walked out with her and took her to guidance. Even the school didn't get me in trouble for this one.
3) Posting a memorial I was told wasn't allowed to a friend that died in high school on the morning show we set up. I have no idea why the teacher wouldn't let us. He assumed someone else did it screaming at her I told him I did and would gladly explain to the superintendent he was threatening her with why (which wasn't scary I had worked with him before and the superintendent was really a quite reasonable person) he immediately just went oh and said nothing else. Never heard anything more about this one.

2) going to see movies that were above my age level (actually not sure this one is against a rule since I was with my of age siblings but I was seeing rated R movies by 13 with my parents permission)

I honestly think my parents having this mindset made me more of a rule follower in some ways. I questioned alot of others but was given a reason for them and followed them.

Do you not see there is a difference between a rule against taking outside candy into a movie theatre and a rule in place to prevent serious injuries to children who could fall off a motorized wheelchair or EVC? Would your parents encourage you to challenge rules about minimum height requirements for thrill rides or seatbelt laws?

No, my parents did not teach me to challenge rules! We parents are the primary examples for our children. Rules are there for a purpose. Are they all necessary? Maybe not - but you are mostly mixing 'apples & oranges', and you are welcome to your opinions.

I'm glad that most people are rule followers, and when rules are on private property, 'they' get to set the rules, and 'you' (general you) get to decide whether you want to go there under their conditions or stay away - your choice! In this case, it's for safety.

(also, my dd at 13 would not have been given permission to see R rated movies either)

Last edited:
Do you not see there is a difference between a rule against taking outside candy into a movie theatre and a rule in place to prevent serious injuries to children who could fall off a motorized wheelchair or EVC? Would your parents encourage you to challenge rules about minimum height requirements for thrill rides or seatbelt laws?

I do see the difference but most of the people here are also saying they are concerned that the children know they don't have to follow rules... most of the kids I knew definitely had rules they knew their parents were breaking some of them worse then others.

This rule I understand from a previous post since it is for safety given how badly many of those driving around without having experience driving ECVs. Other places that don't have such rules aren't renting ECVs and those that are there probably know how to drive them.

That being said I find it a weird argument because this rule does have a purpose that its so much worse about teaching children they don't have to follow all rules. This means you are also picking and chooseing what rules to follow you just have a different line.

No, my parents did not teach me to challenge rules! We parents are the primary examples for our children. Rules are there for a purpose. Are they all necessary? Maybe not - but you are mostly mixing 'apples & oranges', and you are welcome to your opinions.

I'm glad that most people are rule followers, and when rules are on private property, 'they' get to set the rules, and 'you' (general you) get to decide whether you want to go there under their conditions or stay away - your choice! In this case, it's for safety.

(also, my dd at 13 would not have been given permission to see R rated movies either)
Fair enough I really was curious. I get that this rule is for safety, and that makes it one that in my family would have been followed (even though I most definitely rode on a family friends power wheelchair at the mall, but our mall didn't have the rule against it.)

None of the rules you broke had the potential to harm anyone.
This rule I understand from a previous post since it is for safety given how badly many of those driving around without having experience driving ECVs.
Actually, the concern here - and most likely from Disney - is potential injury from the parent's own motorized chair.

I do see the difference but most of the people here are also saying they are concerned that the children know they don't have to follow rules... most of the kids I knew definitely had rules they knew their parents were breaking some of them worse then others.

In my eyes, the fact that this is a safety rule where the consequences of not following it could be severe bodily harm to the child makes it very troubling that the parents are telling their children to ignore the rule. While you may have been able to discriminate between rules it is "okay" for your parents to break and other rules that your parents shouldn't break, not all children have that ability.

Challenging rules, especially unjust rules like not being able to go to the bathroom, is one thing; ignoring or flouting them just because it's inconvenient or less fun is another. Especially on other people's privately-owned property.

And I always buy my snacks at the cinema; theaters make practically nothing on ticket sales as the movie distribution companies get to unilaterally dictate the terms of the deal. Basically, selling concessions is the only way they make enough profit to justify staying in business. If I can't afford to buy what they're selling, I eat before I come or don't go.

I will say as another guest, I am glad this policy exists. I do not want my small kids run over injured by a motorized wheelchair or scooter because the operator could not see them around/over a child on their lap.
Motorized chairs and scooters can cause serious injuries. I’ve been run into at DL by someone who didn’t know how to operate it well and I was lucky to have a metal chair between us, but it would have been bad if she had been right next to my daughter’s and my legs.

THIS^ It is an issue and happens often. With someone on lap; not only is view obstructed but their ability to quickly turn or move can be impacted by a body/arms etc on ones lap. In an instant - instinct may choose to grab hold of the child to prevent their fall rather than turn the vehicle to prevent a crash. They become a danger to everyone around them including themselves.

Heard stories from CM friends and seen a few myself ... but one time a Grandma had child on her lap and driving away. Grandma hit a child and proceeded to run them over trapping them under the ECV. SCREAMING from Grandma and child on lap, screaming from child under ECV and screaming from Mom as Grandma tries to drive off the child but in fact is doing more harm than good. Then Dad screaming at everyone. Thank goodness all this damage was being done to their own family - imagine if it were a stranger.

When DD worked at Disney she was trained there were two rules for her to enforce with ECV/WC. (1) No passengers just driver (2) They can not go any faster than the crowds around them are walking. She did her job even though others would not because they didn't like be yelled at by guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!