Royal Caribbean vs DCL?

When booking something like Two adults and an infant the different ways RCL vs Disney price the room out eats away significantly at the savings for RCL.

However, if you’re lucky you might get a kids sail free promotion which helps with the savings. I also like that Disney doesn’t play too many games with prices.

Icon does not impress me. Massive ship. I go to bed early as well and don’t want to be on board a six day nightclub. Just me.
I don't know if it was an abnormal cruise but it was the quietest and smoothest cruise ship I've ever been on and I'm approaching 20 cruises. There were plenty of quiet spaces if you wanted one. Obviously there were a lot of people on board but to me it didn't feel much more crowded than the DCL ships. It was not what I expected. I also didn't feel that it was a nightclub crowd. RCCL comes in right behind Disney as far as catering to families, especially for preteens and teens. So much to see and do.

I don't know if it was an abnormal cruise but it was the quietest and smoothest cruise ship I've ever been on and I'm approaching 20 cruises. There were plenty of quiet spaces if you wanted one. Obviously there were a lot of people on board but to me it didn't feel much more crowded than the DCL ships. It was not what I expected. I also didn't feel that it was a nightclub crowd. RCCL comes in right behind Disney as far as catering to families, especially for preteens and teens. So much to see and do.
Might get flamed here about this... but last year we took Oasis of the Seas followed a couple of months later by Carnival Mardi Gras. We all preferred the Mardi Gras. It was quite different than Carnival's older ships.

Just another option to think about...

Might get flamed here about this...
If you're thinking someone will flame you for selecting a Carnival ship over a RCCL ship, I doubt it. Carnival, like all other cruise lines, has some ships that are better than some of their other ships but they're doing some things right considering how large the company is. Besides, there are so many cruise lines and each one has pros and cons. Can't please everyone.

If you're thinking someone will flame you for selecting a Carnival ship over a RCCL ship, I doubt it. Carnival, like all other cruise lines, has some ships that are better than some of their other ships but they're doing some things right considering how large the company is. Besides, there are so many cruise lines and each one has pros and cons. Can't please everyone.
A lot of cruise lines have dozens of ships so you would kind of expect some quality control issues. I would recommend avoiding the older ships when trying out a new cruise line for the first time. I've cruised Royal and Carnival on brand-new ships and thought they were great. I actually liked Carnival better than Royal. Carnivals' new ships are pretty nice.

I wish Carnival would sail a newer ship in Europe. I'd book it in a heartbeat. The ship they send over there is twenty-plus years old and it looks kind of sketchy. If I was a long-time Carnival cruiser I'd probably be ok with it because the itineraries are better than Disney's. I get nervous about the old ships especially when I read the reviews.

When booking something like Two adults and an infant the different ways RCL vs Disney price the room out eats away significantly at the savings for RCL.

However, if you’re lucky you might get a kids sail free promotion which helps with the savings. I also like that Disney doesn’t play too many games with prices.
What games does Royal play?

Then folks complain about it being on the DCL board and that it should be on the RCCL one, but other folks complain that the RCCL one doesn't get enough eyes on it. Then we'd want one for Carnival, and NCL, and Viking, and... then half this board is stickies for other lines.
I think it's only natural with Disney prices and the limited itineraries that people start looking for some advice on other lines. There seem to be a lot of experienced cruisers on this forum. As much as love DCL I can't just keep going to the same places over and over. I like the comparisons. I plan on sharing on my thoughts on 12 night Holy Land cruise next month. Hopefully, things calm down over there and it actually ends up being a Holy land cruise.

A lot of cruise lines have dozens of ships so you would kind of expect some quality control issues. I would recommend avoiding the older ships when trying out a new cruise line for the first time. I've cruised Royal and Carnival on brand-new ships and thought they were great. I actually liked Carnival better than Royal. Carnivals' new ships are pretty nice.
I totally agree. I’ve been on an old ship on Royal and it was awful. Went on Freedom and Oasis and had a great time on both.

Have Anthem booked for next year as it was about 55% of the cost of Disney and a much better fjords itinerary too.

So I have Icon booked next March spring break and also same time booked wonder out of Galveston. Disney 6 day and RC icon 7 days. Same price. And that was with sale. Same room type. Verandah. Actually RC room is slightly smaller. When I add on key privileges for three of us that’s $900. Three days of upgraded dining is another $450. Now it’s more than Disney wonder. We are platinum in Disney. We are doing wonder this summer in Alaska and I’m going to get a feel if we can handle magic for six days in summer or will we be bored.
I talked to my wife about the better night life on RC but she said…we usually are dead tired by 1030 so it doesn’t matter.

Just torn

This isn't a very apt comparison. You are booking the Icon of the Seas less than 2 months after launch during the busiest cruising week out of Miami, FL versus a 25 year old ship out of Galveston. A more apt comparison would the harmony of the seas out of Galveston that same week which is about $1200 cheaper and includes an extra day.

In terms of the Key, I'm not sure I find it worth it. Not for $900 especially. I think you'd be absolutely fine skipping it. However, even if you added the key AND the upgraded dining you are still looking at a similar price as the Wonder. However, once again, you are adding in an unlimited dining package versus eating at the main restaurants like you will at Disney. Had you decided to eat at Palo or Remy every night, it will obviously cost you more (beyond your free Palo dinner). Granted, Disney's food is better.

I agree with @nikem3 about the comparison. And for other (additional) reasons.

An Alaskan cruise on the any ship will not be the same as a cruise out of Galveston. Unless you never get off the boat in either. That is an itinerary that I chose other cruise lines for cost savings. The ship is not as significant as the destination. For a beach vacation, I still prefer a Disney cruise, despite the cost. And I am okay with minimal excitement. It’s like going to summer camp - I know what I will eat and what the (same old) entertainment will be.

If you are wondering if you will be bored on the Disney cruise, I imagine you will be. There is a reason you question it - why not try the something new and see if it delivers what you are looking for in a cruise? You can come back to Disney if you aren’t as happy on Royal.

My concern would be giant ship during Spring Break. But I have heard that some large ships do a good job of spreading out the crowd.

Miami is easier than Galveston for airport - to - port distance, too.

And for comparison in pricing, try the new Wish v. the new Icon. And by then, the Wish will have been out nearly 2 years? (July 2022 - March 2024). You’ll have to add a 3- and 4-night to get the same length as Icon.

(And I am one who has tried Royal once and has not returned to it. Given other lines a try and will return to them - and plan to try a few more lines.)

Royal has constant discounting and sales “36 hours left for this sale” etc. They also allow you to call in to reprice the cruise as the prices change, depending on cancellation windows, etc. People set up price alerts, and monitor the prices very carefully. I don’t believe Disney is as promotional.

Royal has constant discounting and sales “36 hours left for this sale” etc. They also allow you to call in to reprice the cruise as the prices change, depending on cancellation windows, etc. People set up price alerts, and monitor the prices very carefully. I don’t believe Disney is as promotional.
Why is that a game? If you get a price drop great. Disney sure isn't going to give you a price drop. I don't think Royal is any different than airlines or hotels. If you want the best deal you keep watching prices and maybe you'll get lucky with a price drop. I don't see it as a game it's just how the travel industry works.

DCL is different they will offer GT rates and if the cruises still don't sell they will offer deep discounts to military, cast members, travel agents, and interline rates. Disney won't offer them to the public that's just how Disney does things. I've been on cruises with a lot of cast members. I think it's good they give their employees that perk.

They do change prices on drink, dining, internet prices. It’s great if are able to catch them when they are at their lowest, but there’s seemingly no rhyme or reason. And “sale” prices on cruise fare may not be any lower than the price the next week. Still, you usually end up paying less on Royal for a comparable room and board as you get on Disney.

They do change prices on drink, dining, internet prices. It’s great if are able to catch them when they are at their lowest, but there’s seemingly no rhyme or reason. And “sale” prices on cruise fare may not be any lower than the price the next week. Still, you usually end up paying less on Royal for a comparable room and board as you get on Disney.
That seems like business as usual. I look for sales all the time on Amazon, Costco, kohls, hotels, and airfare among other things. I also check the cruise planner on the Royal website daily.

Your right DCL doesn't offer deals you pay what you pay and that's a lot more than Royal. If Disney started offering sales on excursions and onboard activities I'd be more than happy to check the website daily. I like saving money.

I've been on cruises with a lot of cast members. I think it's good they give their employees that perk.
Off Topic::
Considering the huge discount they get and the number of CMs are at WDW, I've found that the number of CMs that for whatever reasons are able to take advantage of the benefit is small. I think maybe the restrictions, what cruises are offered and the fact that even with the discount you pay about as much as the what the major cruise lines are charging.

ETA, I agree that it is a good thing.

Last edited:
That seems like business as usual. I look for sales all the time on Amazon, Costco, kohls, hotels, and airfare among other things. I also check the cruise planner on the Royal website daily.

Your right DCL doesn't offer deals you pay what you pay and that's a lot more than Royal. If Disney started offering sales on excursions and onboard activities I'd be more than happy to check the website daily. I like saving money.

r.e. bold DW and I are not really excursions/onboard activities cruisers so for us DCL would have to drop the cruise price tremendously for us to consider returning.

It's all supply and demand. Royal has around 60 ships traveling to over 700 destinations, so they will have sales to fill the cabins. DCL doesn't need to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter