Royal Caribbean for Toddlers?

Shamrock927

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I know this is a very, very broad question and I have already picked up some information from other threads, but I wanted to throw it out there to get some opinions and experiences to help with our planning...

For those of you who have taken a Royal Caribbean cruise with toddlers, how did you find the entertainment value on the ship for them? Were there enough options for toddlers to keep them amused?

Our daughter just turned 3. We did a Disney Fantasy cruise (Eastern Caribbean) last summer and it was perfect for her, and we are doing it again this summer (Western Caribbean). We would prefer not to repeat one of those cruise itineraries next year. We looked at a Europe cruise with Disney but there are some obstacles there.

Before we became parents, we sailed on two RC cruises and LOVED it. We obviously were not looking at programs or activities geared for toddlers, however. I know a RC cruise will not be the same or close to the same as a Disney cruise for our little girl who will be 4 next summer... but how entertained and amused were your toddlers in general during the voyage?

I should also add we tend not to use the services or clubs where you drop your child off. We are so busy with work most of the year we aim to take trips where our daughter stays with us or one of us the full time. So I ask for your experiences and opinions in terms of pools, dining, activities, etc. on the ship for toddlers and excursions geared towards them or appropriate for them.

Thanks so much! Again, I know it is pretty wide open but any thoughts or experiences will help a lot!

Edit: The ships were have looked at so far are Allure, Oasis, Harmony, and Liberty.

Last edited:
Good point.
Allure, Oasis, Harmony, and Liberty were all considered so far.
Edited the original post to add that. Thanks!

We took my 20-month-old on Oasis of the Seas in December, and it was spectacular. There was a nursery (pay by the hour), but we only used it one evening for 2 hours. The regular kids club with activities starts at age 3. My daughter loved the carousel on board. There are also a few things to climb on (car, bus, ship) in the Boardwalk neighborhood. There was a nice play area in the kids club for babies/tots and their parents. The kids water park has a small area for kids who are still in diapers, and a nice area for the bigger kids (though the water was a bit chilly to me). There is also a small putt-putt area for the littles right next to the minigolf course.

The staff was fantastic with my daughter. Everywhere we went, servers remembered her name, called her princess, played with her, etc. The ladies in the buffet asked if they could bring us drinks, food, high chair, etc. to make it easier to eat with her. Even in the specialty restaurants, they doted on her and tried to make things as easy as possible for us. (Sabor was great, and she loved it. She did less well at the Italian place, but that was my fault because I thought it was more family style and relaxed.)

She also loved the shows. The ice skating show was a huge hit, though she liked the diving shows as well. She also really liked the parade of DreamWorks characters and getting her pic taken with the DreamWorks people, even though she didn't know who they were.

After the cruise, I told my husband that I could not have imagined picking a better ship for her first cruise. The neighborhood concept and the variety of open areas made a ton of places for her to explore. There was also always somewhere that I could let her wander around without bothering people. (Early December is a slow time of year, though. Our cruise sailed full but there weren't a whole lot of kids on board.)

I'm new to the DISboards - taking my little one to DW for our first visit this winter - but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about my experience with RCI. We've also got another cruise planned, but it's on Carnival -- not my choice, it's with family. I would've preferred another Oasis-class RCI ship, but at least there is a nice waterpark area I think my kiddo will love. I'm also wondering if she'll like the kids club, since Carnival starts kids club at 2 rather than 3.

I think a 4yo would love any of those cruises. They have great pool areas, Harmony and Liberty have waterslides. I'm not sure of the height requirement. Dreamworks characters, Oasis class have the Boardwalk area with the carousel.

My DD's favorite cruise ever was on RC when she was 3 1/2. She all but refused to leave the children's area any time we tried to pick her up. The shows are certainly not geared towards that age range, and pools are usually very deep and crowded, but most ships have a splash area great for a 4 yo. My son enjoys the live music around the ship. They serve plenty of 'kid' foods to suit most 4 yo's. Overall, it doesn't have the Disney characters or as many activities geared specifically towards kids. That being said, you can have a great family vacation on RCL, especially the newer ships.

We went on Freedom of the Seas when my son was 3 and he loved it. He spent a lot of time in the kids club and enjoyed the splash area. He did not watch any shows but I don't think he would have been able to sit through any of the shows on Disney either. The Dreamworks experience is okay but not great but the line ups to see any of the characters were very short, 3-5 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter