Rough Ride on the Safari?

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Swilcox, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Swilcox

Swilcox Mouseketeer

I’m going to be 5 months pregnant while we are in Disney this coming April. While looking over the list of restricted rides I noticed that Kilimanjaro safaris is on there because the ride can be “bumpy.”

Is this true? I am all for safety and would never want to do anything to put me or my baby at risk but exactly how rough is this ride?

I think this is tugging at my mind a little bit because I live in rural West Virginia. The backroads here can be brutal.

So for those of you who have ridden this ride, what did you think of it? Is it as bad as is being implied or is Disney just trying to be extra careful?

2. Lisa F

Lisa F is a very wise woman

It's pretty bumpy. You will be jostled pretty good... I used to live on a dirt road, the tires and vehicle is bigger and the bumps are bigger and more frequent. I'm not sure I would risk being jostled like that.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. greg9x

greg9x Mouseketeer

It's bumpy enough for them to put out the warning... but i've never been violently thrown around. More of a jostling mostly, than coming out of your seat bumpy. Probably one of those things to ask your Dr about.. sure plenty of pregnant women have ridden it, but what is your personal risk ?

5. gap2368

gap2368 DIS Veteran

The front is less bumpy then the back

6. ejyip

ejyip Earning My Ears

The last time we went on it in November, we got rattled pretty good a few times sitting in the last row. I agree that the experience is less intense more towards the front of the vehicle, but it is still decently bumpy.

7. Disneylover99

Disneylover99 DIS Veteran

I'd skip it.

Dan Murphy and leiaorgana like this.
  8. disneygolfer1985

disneygolfer1985 DIS Veteran

When we went last Christmas my wife was 4 months pregnant and she skipped the safari and most rides at AK.

9. Dan Murphy

Dan Murphy We are family.

Not Dinosaur violent, but can be quite bumpy for sure.

10. TIME4DIZ

TIME4DIZ Mouseketeer

I think it gets bumpier every time I ride it.

Lilsia and sparkle.castle like this.
  11. IsThatYouTigger

IsThatYouTigger Mouseketeer

I just recently went on it at 4 months pregnant. I figured I would give it a chance having been on it many times before. It was the only ride with a restriction I went on. I decided I wouldn’t go on it again because it was a bit uncomfortable with how it jostles you from side to side. I spent most of the ride bracing myself instead of enjoying the animals. You can give it a chance if you really want to go on it, but you may end up really uncomfortable and it’s not a short ride.

12. Tigerlulu

Tigerlulu DIS Veteran

I went 6 months pregnant and I skipped it. It’s pretty bumpy.

13. sparkle.castle

sparkle.castle Earning My Ears

I agree with the majority here, I'd skip it. I don't think it's worth the risk and worrying about it. It's fairly bumpy, not to mention if you happen to be nauseous already - no thanks!

14. TikiBabe

TikiBabe 'ohana

I wouldn't risk it. It's very bumpy.

15. G719

G719 DIS Veteran

I have experience with both the safari and WV dirt back roads. I would say the safari is more of an off-road bumpy experience. I found myself holding on to the seat in front of me this last trip. Similar to riding the school bus down that back dirt road and sitting all the way in the back or over the tires. :drive:

16. chris1212

chris1212 Mouseketeer

I rode the safari when I was 5 months pregnant with no problems. It's bumpy, but it's not like you are ever going fast, just slow rocking bumps. But I also had no issues or complications with that pregnancy. If I had then I would not have ridden.

disneyjr77 likes this.
  17. bernina

bernina Mouseketeer

I’ve had a few bumpy rides but nothing that was too jarring.

18. SpartanMommy

SpartanMommy Mouseketeer

I would skip it. No reason to take the risk, and if it was rather bumpy, you would probably spend the whole ride worried.

19. Lilsia

Lilsia DIS Veteran

It is pretty bumpy. After a lot of rain the paths get even worse. On my last trip, I was shocked how much more bumpier it had become.

20. katyjeka

katyjeka DIS Veteran

Congrats on the baby!!! Avoid it this time. Ride it on another trip with your little one.

21. ElenaRN

ElenaRN DIS Veteran

I guess I'm in the minority here. I've ridden it many times at different points during 3 different pregnancies with no issues. All pregnancies were uncomplicated.

To me yes it's bumpy but like a PP said, it's slow bumpy, not bounce out of your seat bumpy.