RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I was referring to the average guest who KNOWS ROTR was opening. THAT has been advertised & on the website for months. The average guest who researched on the website/ MDE & planned to get there early for role drop, get in line to wait for their turn to ride. So if that was their “original plan” for the day, those are the people who are going to be disappointed. They can’t just go about their plan for the day, they have NO option to follow their plan because Disney isn’t being honest about the opening time. That just isn’t right or fair to the average guest. They may just as well have allowed pre opening fastpasses or reservations.

so the guest you are talking about....their plan was to arrive at RD and wait all day if need be for one ride? Opening early and the virtual queue do not really change the fact that more people are ahead of them. They could have gone with this plan, gotten to the ride to find an 8 hour wait and the end of the line closed. Then what? Wait around right there and see if they open the end of the line?

if they plan was to arrive right at RD and wait only an hour that was never going to happen anyway. Does not matter what system was used, that would just be an unrealistic expectation based on past experiences.

I think closing the VQ so early is good. Less chance for the early riders to get two right away before others show up. Also if they cycle through everyone they can open it back up.

I am okay with people getting a second BP if it opens again and they are still in the park. It is hard to judge when it is only day 2 and obviously not operating at full capacity. I think overall Disney is doing a good job.

I dont agree with any of this, total the way Disney set this up. It was originally designed to have boarding groups to even enter the land and then once u entered, u had a 4hr window to experience everything in the land and then u had to leave and the next group entered. This was the whole point of the early reservations for Oga's, Droid and the light Sabres. Now they want to change it and leave the land itself open but only make ROTR boarding groups. So, for people like me that bought into their original plan, now have rsvps for Oga's and Droid at 8pm at night are now forced to show up at HS at 6am or rope drop or whatever the time is just to enter the park to try and get a boarding group for ROR and then forced to stay there all freakn day and night. If I would've known that ROR was going to require it's own boarding group and that u had to actually enter the park to even join a group, I would've never booked the other attractions for 8pm. I literally have to choose from either being at the park from 6am to 10pm or cancel my Oga's and Droid rsvp and hope I can get a ROR boarding group or decide to just skip ROR and keep my reservations with Oga and droid. Remember now, Oga's and Droid are paid reservations so they have to be canceled 24hr prior to not be charged so I dont have the luxury of waiting til the day of to see if I get a boarding group to ROR or not. I'm am beyond frustrated rite now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my main issue with the VQ and the last couple of days is that it means that since you can’t do a normal standby if the boarding groups book up and you can’t rope drop for one reason or another that means you have no chance of riding as of right now. I regularly am out east for runDisney. By the time I finish, get back to the hotel and shower and then get to the park, with all but the 5k the parks are open usually by an hour or two. That’s not a problem if normal standby is available. But if it’s only the VQ and it books up early that means I have no chance to ride.

I know I’ll get a chance eventually since 1) a December trip is not a run Disney trip and 2) I go out west frequently. But how it affects people who can’t rope drop kind of annoys me.

But a regular standby wouldn't have changed that. Hagrid's ride at Universal had people waiting 14 hours on their opening day - anyone who wasn't there early enough didn't get to ride, and this would have been the same. No one arriving at DHS after 9am yesterday or today would have been able to ride either way - it's just that the people "in line" in front of them were able to do other things while they waited instead of standing in the sun the whole time. It didn't change the number of people who got to arrive or how early they had to get there to secure their turn.

I dont agree with any of this, total BS the way Disney set this up. It was originally designed to have boarding groups to even enter the land and then once u entered, u had a 4hr window to experience everything in the land and then u had to leave and the next group entered. This was the whole point of the early reservations for Oga's, Droid and the light Sabres. Now they want to change it and leave the land itself open but only make ROTR boarding groups. So, for people like me that bought into their original plan, now have rsvps for Oga's and Droid at 8pm at night are now forced to show up at HS at 6am or rope drop or whatever the time is just to enter the park to try and get a boarding group for ROR and then forced to stay there all freakn day and night. If I would've known that ROR was going to require it's own boarding group and that u had to actually enter the park to even join a group, I would've never booked the other attractions for 8pm. I literally have to choose from either being at the park from 6am to 10pm or cancel my Oga's and Droid rsvp and hope I can get a ROR boarding group or decide to just skip ROR and keep my reservations with Oga and droid. Remember now, Oga's and Droid are paid reservations so they have to be canceled 24hr prior to not be charged so I dont have the luxury of waiting til the day of to see if I get a boarding group to ROR or not. I'm am beyond frustrated rite now.
As much as I really love VQ, it is awful for those that planned (like all of us that participate in these boards). I wouldn't say you're forced to stay all day and all night. Once you get your BP, assuming you don't have an early BP, you can leave and so something else and come back. Since your reservation is really late, you can leave and come back again. (yeah.. lots of leaving and coming back) . Hopefully, you get an early BP so you can just take the afternoon off.

I do think that limiting people to one boarding group until two hours after the posted opening time would be more fair. After that if there is still room in the boarding groups, getting back in the queue for a second ride could then be allowed. That way more people at least get one ride, but you could also get in there again for a second ride if capacity allows.
This would sound like an awesome “compromise” change. Who knows if Disney is even thinking about this or considering it but it would be much more fair to all.

But a regular standby wouldn't have changed that. Hagrid's ride at Universal had people waiting 14 hours on their opening day - anyone who wasn't there early enough didn't get to ride, and this would have been the same. No one arriving at DHS after 9am yesterday or today would have been able to ride either way - it's just that the people "in line" in front of them were able to do other things while they waited instead of standing in the sun the whole time. It didn't change the number of people who got to arrive or how early they had to get there to secure their turn.

I think the VQ will actually increase the amount of people who try to get on the ride as everyone knows they don't have to wait around so there is no reason not to get a boarding group. Before only the dedicated would stay in line. I am not dedicated enough to stay in line for 14 hours lol

I am going to HS on Thursday evening so I know I am not getting on ROTR then. I will try again Saturday morning but I am trying to figure out how to get an ECV there before the shuttles start running. Maybe I can drive it there from the resort lol

Seems a lot more stoppages today. Groups going much slower. Probably a good thing they cut it off earlier
It has had more so you have the FP people from yesterday plus the people who missed their time due to a stoppage that are slowing the groups down.

As much as I really love VQ, it is awful for those that planned (like all of us that participate in these boards). I wouldn't say you're forced to stay all day and all night. Once you get your BP, assuming you don't have an early BP, you can leave and so something else and come back. Since your reservation is really late, you can leave and come back again. (yeah.. lots of leaving and coming back) . Hopefully, you get an early BP so you can just take the afternoon off.

I wouldn't mind this at all if u could leave and then come back, but u cant. If u leave HS for more than 2hr ur boarding group rsvp will be automatically canceled. Otherwise, yes I'd come early, get our boarding group for around the time of our other rsvps and just come back. Really, the only thing I can hope for is to get a really early boarding group time, then go do ROR and then leave and come back later for the rest. Even our fp's are booked around the 8pm reservations in swge so if we come early, we would have to do standby for all the rides while we wait for ROR.

I have to get up at 3:00-3:30am tomorrow to drive my family in for 6am (I hope that's good enough!). It's nice if we get rewarded with a shot at a 2nd ride. I get the "it's not fair to the people planning to rope-drop at regular park open", but if they had announced they were opening at 6am, some people would have been there to line up at 3am. They can't win. I think they did pretty well, all things considered. U snooze, U lose.

I have to get up at 3:00-3:30am tomorrow to drive my family in for 6am (I hope that's good enough!). It's nice if we get rewarded with a shot at a 2nd ride. I get the "it's not fair to the people planning to rope-drop at regular park open", but if they had announced they were opening at 6am, some people would have been there to line up at 3am. They can't win. I think they did pretty well, all things considered. U snooze, U lose.

I definitely do agree that if they had said the park was opening at 6:00 am people would be there even earlier. I do not, however, believe that all boarding groups should be distributed so early in the morning.

No, I was referring to the average guest who KNOWS ROTR was opening. THAT has been advertised & on the website for months. The average guest who researched on the website/ MDE & planned to get there early for role drop, get in line to wait for their turn to ride. So if that was their “original plan” for the day, those are the people who are going to be disappointed. They can’t just go about their plan for the day, they have NO option to follow their plan because Disney isn’t being honest about the opening time. That just isn’t right or fair to the average guest. They may just as well have allowed pre opening fastpasses or reservations.

In any scenario a group of people are going to be upset.

If they opened 9am today, the line just to get in to the park would have been massive. People not there for RotR would be upset that there are 3,000 people ahead of them and it took an hour to get into the park. Disney announces a 6am and the fanatics there for RotR start showing up at 3am. Now the casual guest is at the back of the line and complain that they had wake up at 5am on vacation to waste their time. There were people making the same complaint on here about the 6am openings for GE.

Someone is going to be upset no matter what.

simple google search will do.
If I'm visiting WDW for opening of rise google "tips for riding rise of the resistance at hollywood studios"
I guess it's how much you value your money, again if I'm spending a lot on a vacation I would want to be prepared. Sure people come here blindly but at that point it's on them for not researching

I don’t know… I’m a huge Disney planner. Been a vacation club member for 20 years, and come at least once a year. However most people don’t have that luxury and their trip is often a one-time occasion with much of their savings used.

Thus I do feel they should be able to make a well-strategized plan using the tools on the WDW site and app. They I shouldn’t have to Google other sites and then “guess“ what time parks are going to be opening a month from now, not to mention the following day. Regardless of whether there’s an “amazing new attraction.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the VQ for ROTR is a good and fair plan. However I don’t think it was fair to probably 95% of the guests here this week not to give folks a heads up on the 3-hour early opening on multiple days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter