ROTR lottery needs to end.

Disney could charge $25 for a guaranteed spot on ROTR and people would gladly pay it-- maybe that could be limited to once per trip, just to be sure you'll get on the ride at least once. Given it's limited capacity, it can be seen as an upcharge experience.

So then what? People would just complain that it's unfair and classist and NOT WHAT WALT WOULD HAVE WANTED to upcharge for rides. There's no perfect solution.

My concern is that you can go to WDW for a week (or longer) and still might never get a chance to ride. That's very disappointing when you're flying long distance and you might not get a chance to go back for a year or more.
I highly doubt this. If you follow what has been posted on getting a BG and don’t get one in a weeks time the problem isn't the system.
My last visit, rode 2x and got BG each time we tried. Woke up at 6:30, validated everyone account, phone and internet was working, used the world clock as suggested and each time got a BG. 1 time on hotel WiFi and the other on AT&T. Prior was part of the first weeks opening and in the park at 6am, got BG both days. Follow the steps to the letter and let get one.

My concern is that you can go to WDW for a week (or longer) and still might never get a chance to ride. That's very disappointing when you're flying long distance and you might not get a chance to go back for a year or more.

Disney could charge $25 for a guaranteed spot on ROTR and people would gladly pay it-- maybe that could be limited to once per trip, just to be sure you'll get on the ride at least once. Given it's limited capacity, it can be seen as an upcharge experience.
It would be rare for this to happen. Very rarely do people report not being able to ride after trying both at 7AM and 1PM. It can happen but if it's happening on a regular basis people are not talking about it and I really think they would be if many were experiencing this.

I do like that people can get two shots at it. So, the second chance is only people that had reservations AND that didn't one earlier. That seems eminently fair.

What if you don't want to get up at 6 a.m.? What if this lottery just shafts you anyway, even if you follow all the precious instructions and steps? It's completely arbitrary. I've read lots of posts from people who tried and tried to get on the damn ride, and crapped out. Maybe they just didn't have the right smartphone -- oh, sorry, you should've had the latest whiz bang tech toy with all the bells and whistles, never mind that it costs more than your flights to get to Orlando.

I should be able to enjoy a day at the park without resorting to these damn gizmos. I don't need that crap in my daily life, therefore I choose not to have one. But they'll force me to get one just to get on one ride.

Last edited:
So then what? People would just complain that it's unfair and classist and NOT WHAT WALT WOULD HAVE WANTED to upcharge for rides. There's no perfect solution.

Disney has added tons of upcharge experiences, and people pay for them. A lot of them have to do with paying for better access to attractions.

What if you don't want to get up at 6 a.m.? What if this lottery just shafts you anyway, even if you follow all the precious instructions and steps? It's completely arbitrary. I've read lots of posts from people who tried and tried to get on the damn ride, and crapped out. Maybe they just didn't have the right smartphone -- oh, sorry, you should've had the latest whiz bang tech toy with all the bells and whistles, never mind that it costs more than your flights to get to Orlando.

I should be able to enjoy a day at the park without resorting to these damn gizmos. I don't need that crap in my daily life, therefore I choose not to have one. But they'll force me to get one just to get on one ride.

Then wake up at like 6:55 if you don't want to get up at 6.

It would be rare for this to happen. Very rarely do people report not being able to ride after trying both at 7AM and 1PM. It can happen but if it's happening on a regular basis people are not talking about it and I really think they would be if many were experiencing this.

Yea I haven't heard too many people saying that never got to ride it while on their trip. Most make it in either the 7AM or 1PM groups. To add to this, if folks know Rise of Resistance is a high priority I would recommend folks book multiple days for Hollywood Studios and add the park hopper option to visit other other parks ( if possible). I know I will be in Disney for four days this week and two of those days I booked HS just to increase my chances of riding Rise of Resistance.

If Disney wanted to be really greedy they could charge people a fee to ride ROTR and people would pay it. They already charging folks 220 to build a lightsaber in addition to the cost of a park ticket or vacation package. So yea, it could happen though it would be met with VERY mixed reactions and mostly negative backlash.

I really think this online race to vie for daily rides on ROTR is terrible. Why not change it to regular queue lines like everything else?
There is no race . . . .everyone has an equal opportunity. That is what makes it fair.
Whether at a deluxe, moderate, or value all are treated the same. If someone does not like the parameters set they don't need to participate.

Well now you can pay to play. Private VIP tours are getting access, you and your closest 9 friends can get access for $2975 (min:$425x7hours). No need to wake up early, no chance that you don't have the right phone or tech :worship:

My youngest daughter has the oldest phone of the family, she get all the hand me down phones and she has beaten me to get a BG and I alway have the latest phones. So its fair and not as tech driven as people want to make it be. She just a lot faster at clicking then me

Last edited:
I really think this online race to vie for daily rides on ROTR is terrible. Why not change it to regular queue lines like everything else?
There is no race . . . .everyone has an equal opportunity. That is what makes it fair.
Whether at a deluxe, moderate, or value all are treated the same. If someone does not like the parameters set they don't need to participate.
Not true, Rope drop is a race, what if someone is disabled or can't get to the parks as early as some b/c transportation isn't running. Open week, which I was there for was a race. It was a race to get to the gates by 5am, then a race to get scanned in and into the parks. We didn't have to race to the standby line, but it was a unfair race to those who couldn't get to the park by 5:00-5:30. If it went to standby lines, given the crowds if you don't do rope drop your not riding that day.
The current method is significantly better.

Same thing happen with the Frozen ride but not as big of a crowd, there is a reason rope drop was nicknamed the "Frozen 5k". I never did it, but saw grown men pushing each other while "speed walking" to get in line.

Well now you can pay to play. Private VIP tours are getting access, you and your closest 9 friends can get access for $2975 (min:$425x7hours). No need to wake up early, no chance that you don't have the right phone or tech :worship:

My youngest daughter has the oldest phone of the family, she get all the hand me down phones and she has beaten me to get a BG and I alway have the latest phones. So its fair and not as tech driven as people want to make it be. She just a lot faster at clicking then me
Best practice advice of mine has always been to put the best phone in the hands of a teenager in the group. Turns out they can even do it with an old phone!

When this ride opened it was debated to the high heavens. Every alternative imagined ended up having more downsides, they always end up creating worse headaches than the current system when played out.

People don’t like the idea of getting shut out. That’s very understandable. But the ride cannot handle all HS guests daily, something has to give. Having 2 HS days with 4 chances to snag a BG is the closest there gets to guarantee, probably well over 95% if you are somewhat prepared (no, a new phone isn’t necessary 😊). Anyway it’s no different than many other important experiences that can go sideways during a trip. You could get rained out your only day for MK fireworks on a trip, or Everest could be your fav AK ride and it’s down the day you’re there. There’s always a risk something very important to our trip doesn’t go as planned, with no way to absolutely 100% guarantee. It’s the same with RotR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter