Rotation

I'd get WhatsApp just in case. The iMessage thing can be glitchy but WhatsApp seems to work the most consistently.

Does WhatsApp on Android work on DCL? For some reason, I thought they didn't have an Android option for communication other than their official app.

Does WhatsApp on Android work on DCL? For some reason, I thought they didn't have an Android option for communication other than their official app.

IDK. My sister has an iPhone. I know that many of the CMs use Whats App for communicating with their families back home, but I don't know if they have iPhones or something else.

I was at WDW 2 years ago (sob, was it really 2 years) and my phone was very awkward to use. I couldn't see the screen in sunlight and was constantly seeking out shade. No information fits on the screen at once so you are continuously scrolling. And I have a 7" phone. No looking at the app while at the pool unless you're under a towel- LOL. I'm 63 but have worn glasses since the age of 2. Add to that polarized lens and bi-focals and I'm thinking I will be just winging this trip oblivious to what's going on around me. My DSis has a tiny phone and actively dislikes tech so, if you are on the Wonder July 18-25 and see two ladies wandering around blissfully unaware, well that will be us!

WhatsApp is an internet messaging service. It needs Wifi or Data to work. It is very popular in Europe and internationally as you can voice chat, video chat, text message and create groups free, as long as you are connected to the internet.

So you can't even request the paper ones anymore? I know the two times we sailed in 2019, obviously pre-Covid, they were pushing to use the ap, but we were able to request the paper Navigators. It sounds like that is not an option?

In 2019 using iMessage was more reliable than the ship messaging system. I'm hoping, considering the reports on the app, that it still is so we can communicate with each other, but especially our Tween.

You can request whatever you'd like, but unfortunately, they won't give you paper navigators. I always ask, just in case, but they've said no since the restart. :(

WhatsApp is an internet messaging service. It needs Wifi or Data to work. It is very popular in Europe and internationally as you can voice chat, video chat, text message and create groups free, as long as you are connected to the internet.

Whats App WILL work for chat only on the basic (included) DCL WiFi. Cast members use that to communicate with family/friends at home to avoid having to pay for internet. My sister is a CM and whe iMessage is messing up will use WhatsApp because she doesn't have to use paid-for WiFi.

It's probably dependent on if a ship has been revolutionized or is Edge-class. On the Edge in Feb 2020 (which was really right before cruising shut down), everything was on the Celebrity app. As each ship is revolutionized, the paper will go away in favor of the app.
I really think the final decision may depend on passenger comments. From what I have read on other blogs, the technology on the Disney Magic specifically makes the App difficult to use. That was from someone who was on the Magic 6 weeks ago.
Disney is particularly sensitive to passenger concerns. Lord knows it took several years, but Disney did away with the $25 soft drink passes and went to soft drinks being included at no additional cost based on passenger demand. I can't imagine that the paper Navigators cost them more than 25 cents per passenger on a 7 day cruise, and if passengers demand them back, they will be back.

I hope so. I've already sent my feelings to DCL via their Contact Us link.
Another option I am seeing on other forums is folks going to Target and buying a $35 cell phone without activation (known as a "burner" phone) just for a cruise so they can leave their expensive iPhone safely in the stateroom. Too many water activities on a cruise that could destroy a cell phone.

I really think the final decision may depend on passenger comments. From what I have read on other blogs, the technology on the Disney Magic specifically makes the App difficult to use. That was from someone who was on the Magic 6 weeks ago.
Disney is particularly sensitive to passenger concerns. Lord knows it took several years, but Disney did away with the $25 soft drink passes and went to soft drinks being included at no additional cost based on passenger demand. I can't imagine that the paper Navigators cost them more than 25 cents per passenger on a 7 day cruise, and if passengers demand them back, they will be back.

I was specifically responding to your comment about Celebrity using them. Their ships are going as paper-free as possible as soon as they are Revolutionized.

Hi
If someone travels without a cell phone
I heard / read that rotation are not listed on our KTTW card no more
So bring having no phone how do you know your dinning rotation ?
Thanks
They pressure you to use your phone, but you don't NEED to have one. Don't go out and buy one.

1. You want to know your dining rotation? Walk up to the Guest Services desk & ask, or call them from your stateroom phone.

2. You want to know where & when other activities are occurring onboard? Use the schedule on your stateroom TV.

3. Muster drill? Go to your muster station and tell them you don't have a phone. They will check you off the list manually.

4. Want to go ashore at port? Wait until they are no longer using the electronic waitlist to disembark. This really doesn't take that long.

5. Want to see the menu at dinner? Tell them you didn't bring your phone & they'll give you a paper menu.

You can fully enjoy your Disney cruise without a cell phone. I've cruised twice since reopening and can vouch for that.

Last edited:
Whats App WILL work for chat only on the basic (included) DCL WiFi. Cast members use that to communicate with family/friends at home to avoid having to pay for internet. My sister is a CM and whe iMessage is messing up will use WhatsApp because she doesn't have to use paid-for WiFi.

I don't know about cast members, but I can tell you that WhatsApp does not work while onboard using basic DCL Guest connectivity. It does work if you pay for internet of course but it did not work at all for guests otherwise. iMessage mostly worked for us, but tended to stop working after time changes which is more of a phone issue than anything, I think.

I don't know about cast members, but I can tell you that WhatsApp does not work while onboard using basic DCL Guest connectivity. It does work if you pay for internet of course but it did not work at all for guests otherwise. iMessage mostly worked for us, but tended to stop working after time changes which is more of a phone issue than anything, I think.
Do you know if it is possible to use fb messenger? We would buy a small internet package. This is how we communicate with home when we're at WDW.

Yeah, but the navigator was nice to keep as a souvenir and, at least for me, it was much better organized than the app. I have trouble seeing what's happening when and where with the app. The messaging is nice, but you don't get a notification your phone isn't focusing on the app, so I always miss messages when they're still relevant.

I guess, overall, I wouldn't mind using the app if 1) it worked properly, 2) it was designed better, and 3) I could still get paper navigators.
Exactly I loved the paper version was nice at night
looking at what would be offered next day ( I even circled what interested me

also kept those as souvenirs they should leave us the choice of paper or app
for one I am not looking forward ti be always looking at my phone while on my cruise

They pressure you to use your phone, but you don't NEED to have one. Don't go out and buy one.

1. You want to know your dining rotation? Walk up to the Guest Services desk & ask, or call them from your stateroom phone.

2. You want to know where & when other activities are occurring onboard? Use the schedule on your stateroom TV.

3. Muster drill? Go to your muster station and tell them you don't have a phone. They will check you off the list manually.

4. Want to go ashore at port? Wait until they are no longer using the electronic waitlist to disembark. This really doesn't take that long.

5. Want to see the menu at dinner? Tell them you didn't bring your phone & they'll give you a paper menu.

You can fully enjoy your Disney cruise without a cell phone. I've cruised twice since reopening and can vouch for that.

oh that is exactly what I’ll do
I really don’t want to be on a phone looking at a screen while on my cruise
pas a matter of fact this is why I loved cruising
you can disconnect from all media ..

you say disembark is electronic list ?
castaway also ?
thanks

you say disembark is electronic list ?
castaway also ?
thanks

Right, there's a virtual queue to disembark at port and you join the queue with your phone and then show them your phone when you get down there. You can have one person reserve a spot for the whole group.

You don't have to join the queue if you're concierge or if you have an excursion booked. If you wait a while after docking, then they stop using the queue. In my experience, that was about 30 minutes, but the ships are more full now than they were in early February. Finally, they might stop using the queue at any time as they relax other restrictions. Who knows?

Castaway Cay also uses the queue, though.

I’ve used the virtual queue to get off the ship now for my last 3 cruises and it can be a pain. I really wish they would do away with it. I was #1 once to get off at castaway. Last trip in February I was #3. Believe me, it’s like getting the virtual queue for Rise of the resistance. We’re not the younger set either…i remember the 70s, now it’s in my near future, though hubby is already there. We’re fine with using our iPhones. It’s how we take pictures on the cruise and how we access our senior citizens discount at many stores at home. 😂

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter