Rope Drop Slinky Strategy?

tink2

DIS Veteran
OK- 60 Fast pass day was today and we got Slinky for our second HS day, but not our first.
Our debate will be whether to rope drop it the first day or do TOT and RNR at rope drop. I know we will be dying to ride Slinky but that is precious riding time for the others as well.

What is the best strategy for rope dropping Slinky and about how long does it take- getting through the line and riding.

TIA!

I havent rope dropped slinky (I waited 80 min in the regular queue), but i would definitely choose to rope drop slinky over ToT or RnRc for sure. If the single rider line is open for RnRc, you can easily do that.

My personal opinion is Slinky is in demand more because it's new than on sheer merit as a roller coaster. If you're not a big thrill rider and prefer Slinky because it's cute that makes sense, but RnR is 10 times the thrill ride Slinky is (even if it's half the length), and ToT is an excellent marriage of imagineering and thrill. If you've already ridden them a lot and haven't done Slinky that makes sense. But I'd propose: do Slinky at park close! Everybody says it's even better at night, and I can imagine that, with all the lights. It was ok in the day, but I'm sad that our HS day was our departure day and we didn't get the chance to do it at night.

I would rope drop ToT and RnR. They are much better rides than slinky. I was looking forward to it so much but was disappointed in it. I was pretty much disappointed in the whole of toy story land though. I feel like they could have done so much more with it.

The Slinky Line was 120 minutes right at rope drop yesterday. I think you'll get more bang for your buck going to Sunset Blvd for ToT and RnR first.

That said, ToT was down at rope drop yesterday and the line at RnR built up to 40 minutes by 9:20 but was 105 an hour later.

Just remember if you are rope dropping a popular ride like SDD, that you want to be near the FRONT of the RD line, not in the back. 10 minutes can make the difference between a 15 minute wait and an 80 minute wait.

To me SDD is sorta a one and done per trip and next trip I likely won't even do it at all.

So since you have a FP for it I'd just skip RDing it and RD TOT and RNRC instead.

If you want to RD SDD though then just get to the park about 45-60 minutes prior to RD and then follow the CM's back.

I RD'd it twice now. First time I never stopped moving until I was sitting in the ride vehicle.
Second time I waited about 8 minutes.

First day rope drop TOT and RNRC for rerides and then use the FP on day 2 to enjoy a leisurely stroll to Toy Story Land.

I'd keep checking to see if anthing comes open for SDD.
If you plan to RD SDD, you want to be at the turnstiles 60 minutes prior to park opening.
They will let you in about 30 minutes before opening and stop you at Sunset BLVD.
I have read different versions from here. We were walked by multiple CMs over to TSL and SDD. Still pushing and shoving, but stuck behind the CMs and a slow walk over. Others have had more of a free for all to TSL.
If you aren't there early, I would go to RnRC and ToT first.
However, at RD, the lines to AS2 and TSMM were very short as the crowd was headed to SDD.

We did it on 3/25. We got to Hollywood Studios around 7:30 I think and we're a couple of people back. Then they let us in and down the street a bit and we were a couple of lines of people back (we are middle age and overweight except for dd). Then they let us further in and merged our group with another group. At that point it was a mass of people and crazy. But we got on the ride fairly quickly and I think we were off of it around 9:20. After a few minutes of deciding whether or not to wait for our Fastpasses or go to TMM, we went to TMM and waited standby. We got done with that around 10:37 (basing this on my pictures!).

I think SDD is super fun, so I'd do it twice. We love checking on the progress on SWL too while riding it. However, if you can't get up in time to be to the front of rope drop, I'd abandon SDD and do TSM and then go do ToT and RnRC. Usually arriving at 7:15 lets us walk off SDD at right at 8 (for emh, add an hour for regular opening) or a few minutes after.

If I plan to get to the park at 8 for a 9am opening. to be at the front of the SDD crowd. Is it reasonable to think I can do both SDD and TSM and be done with both by 9:45? I have a 9-10 fastpass for RNRC

OK- 60 Fast pass day was today and we got Slinky for our second HS day, but not our first.
Our debate will be whether to rope drop it the first day or do TOT and RNR at rope drop. I know we will be dying to ride Slinky but that is precious riding time for the others as well.

What is the best strategy for rope dropping Slinky and about how long does it take- getting through the line and riding.

TIA!
I have rope dropped slinky and did not feel like the chaos was worth that or any ride for that matter. I would keep the Slinky FP+ you have and RD another ride at Hollywood studios. The way the CMs funnel everyone into TSL is sheer insanity and I am not down for that. I have rope dropped at all the other parks and IMO the way the cast members cut and funnel traffic into TSL at DHS is really tight and not pleasant. But going anywhere else in the park isn't as bad.

Oh and if you do RD slinky, arrive about an hour early and you'll be allowed in sometime before opening. We were roped off at echo lake and from there we were essentially told how to walk to TSL past ABC commissary and into TSL. I don't recall if they would allow a wait on Hollywood Blvd or not. We were a few rows back from the rope and just walking to SDD not running or pushing as some people do, we ended up waiting maybe 30 min. We did the alien swirling saucers after this and waited maybe 20 min and by the time we got off of that ride, the line was almost an hour and then we did our TSM FP+. This was last August so even though time has passed since TSL opened, it's still pretty in demand.

Slinky is a fun ride but RnRC and TOT are much better IMO. The one fastpass you have for slinky is enough already IMO.

Dan

Getting in line for SDD before closing time is a lot better than fighting the RD crowd. Also, if you rearrange your schedule to go to DHS on one of your last park days, it`s a lot easier to get SDD.

We did EMM on Wednesday (4/24) and were leaving TSL around 8:50-8:55. The rope drop crowds were downright scary and I witnessed CMs loudly scolding guests for running/pushing, which seems intense. Don’t get me wrong - I loved the ride last August when we waited 40m just after Fantasmic (10:30 park close if I remember correctly - I would imagine during the evening shows the wait would be shorter, or right at closing as others have suggested). I even paid extra $$ so we could ride it 5 times.

But the chaos is a bit much. If I arrived at 7:30 for a regular park open, I would be afraid that others would push past me.

If you’re looking to maximize overall time, perhaps RDing the other rides and just waiting for Slinky (maybe during lunch or at close) might feel more successful for your day overall

We attempted rope drop for SDD, but it was a disaster (people pushing, shoving, running, ignoring the CM's), and we ended up going to TSMM instead. On our second HS day, we went to rope drop for TSMM, and it was a more relaxing experience because we hung back a little. We will not attempt SDD at rope drop on our summer trips, and will go before closing if we can't get FP+. TSL was so much more calm in the evenings then during the daytime. If you really do have to rope drop SDD, 60 minutes before is not early enough on a 9AM opening. They better figure out a better rope drop system at HS for Star Wars Land or people will get hurt.

Not sure if this is an option while you're there or not, but we did Early Morning Magic today and it was well worth. Finished the whole park by 12p and got on Slinky 4x, Mania 3x, Rock n 2x, and TOT 2x.

Not sure if this is an option while you're there or not, but we did Early Morning Magic today and it was well worth. Finished the whole park by 12p and got on Slinky 4x, Mania 3x, Rock n 2x, and TOT 2x.

At first I didn't consider paying for it, but a month ago I checked and not even one person could get in EMM for our week. I checked again a few days ago and same- sold out. So no, not an option any more. I didn't dream it would sell out 2 months before our trip..........guess I underestimated the crowd interest in that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter