Rope Drop Slinky Strategy?

If you can wait it out, there have been several recent reports of 20 minute or less waits close to closing time.

More efficient and less stressful than fighting through the morning crowd.

Slinky is a nice, fun family roller-coaster, but the huge lines are more to do with its newness than what a great ride it is. You certainly don’t need to do it twice in one trip. I would definitely RD other rides your first day, enjoying the smug feeling of seeing the huge throng stampeding to Slinky, knowing that you don’t have to join the insane rush because you have FPs for your next day there, and shrewdly taking advantage of the fact that all those people are drawn away from the other rides that you will be enjoying.

At first I didn't consider paying for it, but a month ago I checked and not even one person could get in EMM for our week. I checked again a few days ago and same- sold out. So no, not an option any more. I didn't dream it would sell out 2 months before our trip..........guess I underestimated the crowd interest in that.
Yea, I don't think the other EMM or after hours events sell out as quickly. But since TSM is the newest land, it gets a lot of attention.

We had an interesting experience doing rope drop at HS on Monday, at least to me! lol

I had planned on rope dropping only to ride lesser rides as we never attempt rope drop for SDD. Because of that, we were in no hurry to get to the park much before park opening. It was a MM as well.

We arrived around 8:30. I was finishing my collection of the new Starbucks mugs so instead of getting in line on the street, we walked up the sidewalk to Starbucks. Surprisingly it wasn’t very crowded inside, so got the mug and a coffee and stood inside drinking it until they dropped the rope. At that point, they let everyone on the sidewalk so we ended up getting out near the front of the line since there was no way to do anything but step into the stream of people.

It wasn’t the madness I’ve read about at all. It was a lot of people but no pushing or shoving or running I could see. At that point I made the decision just to see where we ended up in line for SDD, if it wasn’t long we’d ride, if it was we’d move to TSMM. Ended up being about a 10 minute wait!

They did hold those who tried taking the shortcut and split off to the right, so resist the temptation to do it. At any rate, it’s nothingI wouldn’t be willing to do again, nothing crazy about it at all.

When we were there in early Sept., they just started letting ppl in about 15-20 mins prior to real opening and let us go the whole way. I was expecting to be held on the blvd somewhere but we weren't. I don't know why they don't always do this, it allows for ppl to trickle in as they scan their ban and there's much more room to navigate the walk. It was the most peaceful rope drop experience we've ever had at Disney.

We'll be riding SDD & AS2 for the first time this June and I split them on FP between our two HS days. I'm sure that will be enough for me though. I'm going to take a powder if anyone starts thinking about doing standby :faint:. I'll go space trucking with C-3PO instead and then go enjoy a "beverage" ;) until they're done.

If I plan to get to the park at 8 for a 9am opening. to be at the front of the SDD crowd. Is it reasonable to think I can do both SDD and TSM and be done with both by 9:45? I have a 9-10 fastpass for RNRC

Shouldn't be a problem. Remember you can use your FP up to 15 minutes past your window.

I RD SDD today. No way I would do that if I had a FP for it! They held us on the street in front of Starbucks, then slow walked us to SDD. Because the path narrows, the crowd gets a bit bumpy. There was someone next to me today just complaining about all the people cutting in line, but given that same couple started well behind me and now they were in front of me, I think they had nothing to complain about! It's really an awful system and they better put something better in place for SWGE. I don't mind waiting my turn, but I don't like it when I feel like I lose my place in line because I'm not aggressive enough!

I RD SDD today. No way I would do that if I had a FP for it! They held us on the street in front of Starbucks, then slow walked us to SDD. Because the path narrows, the crowd gets a bit bumpy. There was someone next to me today just complaining about all the people cutting in line, but given that same couple started well behind me and now they were in front of me, I think they had nothing to complain about! It's really an awful system and they better put something better in place for SWGE. I don't mind waiting my turn, but I don't like it when I feel like I lose my place in line because I'm not aggressive enough!

The thing is, until you actually get to the ride, you’re not in line, you’re just walking. It didn’t bother me if a few people passed me now and then. The difference in wait time is negligible if you’re towards the front of the crowd. I really thought it was as organized as it could be when we did it last week.

The thing is, until you actually get to the ride, you’re not in line, you’re just walking. It didn’t bother me if a few people passed me now and then. The difference in wait time is negligible if you’re towards the front of the crowd. I really thought it was as organized as it could be when we did it last week.
So - this is what I would like to see changed. Hold everyone at the tapstiles in mass as they do now - but then after that - let folks line up as they enter the park in actual lines - not another cattle round up holding pen. Yes - I get that they don't want folks running - so start the lines inside the park but close to the tapstiles - and as the line grows - start walking it towards the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter