Root Canal/Crowned Tooth Extracted Plus Bone Grafting -- share your stories please!

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
Sorry in advance... this got long.

I did a search and saw this topic has been discussed a few times but most posts I found were older so I thought I would start a new post.

Background: I am 42, Type 1 Diabetic since I was 10, and now Stage 2 Kidney disease. Otherwise I am healthy - you can laugh, I have to in order to keep my sanity. I truly try to take care of myself and when something goes wrong, I try to put my health first.

In 2019 I had a lower left molar that needed a root canal and crown. I went through both, and honestly that tooth has always felt like it had some sensation still in it, but it wasn't enough for me to complain about it. And it would come and go, so it wasn't on my mind too much. This past April the gum around it swelled up so off to my dentist I went, who after xrays, informed me the roots had a crack somewhere, and the infection was very evident on the xray, even to my untrained eyes. So I did a round of antibiotics and since I had teeth pulled for braces years ago ,and have also lost another molar, I told her I was feeling awfully "hole-y" and hated to lose another tooth, she sent me to the oral surgeon to discuss an implant.

Fast forward, I had the implant on Thursday, May 26, took that day and Friday off, and the long weekend to recover. The procedure went fine, but I'm not sure what I should be expecting as far as recovery. Thanks to my kidney issues, I cannot take advil, so I took the max Tylenol everyday up until this past Thursday (so a full 7 days). (I also had the stronger meds the first couple of days). And Sunday-Tuesday I can remember a few times watching the clock tick till I could have my next dose, the pain was very present. Yesterday I did take less, and today only one dose (close to bedtime, so all day without needing it) So I guess that constitutes as "gradual improvement"? I figure with my diabetes I might be slower to heal? But is it really odd to take the full dose of pain meds for a full week? Dr Google tends to make me think that seems like a long time but then follows up with "every case is different" Also, could the amount of infection and damage to jaw/bone prior to surgery cause it to be more painful after?

For what it's worth I did call the oral surgeon's office Tuesday morning and the receptionist was very kind and thought I was on par with normal healing. She offered to transfer me to the nurses line, so I left a message. I think they tried to call me back as I had a missed call, but no message, and I never returned the call.

Then there is the site itself. Again I keep looking at it and not sure what I shoud be seeing. I know that the stitches came out at 7 days on their own. And I see white stuff in the "hole" now and I dont think it's the membrane - I kind of think I lost that too? I am freaked out about dry sockets, as I had one with my wisdom teeth and remember it being awful, but that was also 20 years ago so my memory forgets details. I think if it was a dry socket my amount of Tylenol would not be decreasing? But my gums are not covering yet - is that normal or does that seem delayed? Like I still have an obvious hole and I'm not sure how long that should be there?

Does anyone have any experiences to share? Am I just being impatient or should I call the office again on Monday? My follow up is not scheduled until June 24.

I honestly don't have any experiences with your issue but I would contact the dentist/oral surgeon. Better safe than sorry.

I had grafting done. No issues though. And no root canal. Can’t really help you. Sorry. Just don’t like ANY dental work. I’m a baby!

Did the doc give you antibiotics?

I had extraction/implant same day and was sent home with a 7 day course of antibiotics. The gum tissue settled after a few weeks but I did have discomfort in the area for several months.

Just got the crown placed last week so it was all worth while.

Hope it things settle down for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter