Room Upgrade?

CAlvarez

Earning My Ears
just wondering if anyone has ever booked a standard room and then asked for an upgrade view while staying on points without being charged add points?

Asking for an upgrade won't get a free one. If you ask and front desk changes the room, you will find more points taken from your account to cover the change the next time you check your account. What does happen sometimes (rarely) is that the room class you requested is not available (maintenance issues, possible an overbook) and the member is offerred a different class room or even different room size and no additonal charge is made.

I got upgraded once, at AKL, from a value studio to a savannah view studio on the Uzima savannah. They told me at check-in that they were upgrading me, I didn't ask. It was only a 1 night stay so I figure they had maintenance issues with the value. Other than that one time I've never been upgraded in over 15 years of ownership.

just wondering if anyone has ever booked a standard room and then asked for an upgrade view while staying on points without being charged add points?

If you ask then you will be charged if it's available.

If there's a problem and they move you then there shouldn't be a charge but the point totals should still be checked as there have been reports now and then of getting charges for an involuntary move.

If you rented a reservation, they will charge the owner of the points. Then you will be in big trouble.

Been DVC for years and over 3 dozen trips - never been upgraded

I’ve never gotten an upgrade to a different class of room like booking a studio and getting a 1 bedroom, but I have gotten a better room location a couple of times (both at Aulani) when the view I paid for wasn’t available (typically choose standard).

I also had an issue where I paid for a higher tier of view and that wasn’t available, so they put me down to the next lowest tier and refunded me the points plus gave me a decent resort credit.

:):mickeyjumBefore we bought DVC we were staying at Wilderness lodge and when we arrived they told us they were upgrading us to a 1 bedroom at the DVC section we did not ask and we were charged the room rate we booked. It was great. The next year we bought at OKW. I think they got me hooked and I guess I really did pay for the 1 bedroom

Got an upgrade one time. We had a studio at OKW booked for one night for cash and the rest of the trip was a one bedroom on points. They upgraded our one night to a one bedroom and linked the two reservations.

Upgraded from PVB standard view studio to a Poly Club Level theme park view on 7/4/17. They had called us the day before and let us know they were overbooked for that night and provided us the upgrade.

My upgrades:
1. Once cause of over booking at VWL:
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.

2. Once cause of problem with check-in at AKL:
Booked a standard view studio at AKL-Jambo, checked-in, given a room key as the room was supposed to be ready, went to the room, and found suitcases and purse in the room along with the room not being made up. Went back to the front desk, they gave us an on-the-spot upgrade to a savanna view room in another part of the resort plus four free breakfasts.

3. DCL
Reserved an inside stateroom on DVC points but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was. When our luggage arrived it still had the old room number's tags on them.

4. AKL-Jambo
Booked a standard view room at 5 days out due to a last minute change in home plans. Given a Savanna View room.

5. AKL-Jambo
Got another upgrade in Aug ‘16. Reserved a standard studio, on Sunday before leaving the house checked status of points, made a reservation, etc; found that I had more points in my account than I should have and points in Holding that should not of been there. On the way from home to AKL, I called MS, asked for a status of my points, and they stated they saw the same thing on their system.
After being put on hold, MS came back with an explanation, stating that we had been upgraded from a standard to a full-savanna view room. The points in holding are there for the backroom process of the upgrade. Checked my points on Sunday evening and everything is correct. The room we were given was 5268 with no pen in the view except across the savanna.

We were upgraded from a standard view to a lake view for our one night stay at BLT. This was due to a host of continuing issues from my MDX becoming corrupted.

We got one but didn’t ask. We booked a studio boardwalk view. When we checked it was a one bedroom courtyard and boardwalk view type. It was a nice surprise.

However OP should take note that these upgrades were the choice of the resort and not because they were asked for by the owner when they arrived. That would mean an extra point charge if the room were available.

I don’t think they will upgrade for free. We booked a studio at Boulder Ridge for one night at the last minute - only the handicapped one was available, and due to the last minute booking, they let us have it without actually needing a handicapped room. When we arrived they put us in a 1 bedroom handicap instead. I assumed either studio handicapped was overbooked or not working and they gave up another handicapped room assuming we needed it. We didn’t need it, but the upgrade was nice. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter