Room ready frustration

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there are any grand villa's on the cash side anymore. Only 2 bedroom.

This bugs me A LOT.
I think the check in text has been changed to "after 4pm" just to mislead the guests into thinking the resort can do whatever they want while still being vague enough to not raise an official complaint.
If my check in is on 08/26 after 4pm, then I expect that today at any moment after 4pm I can arrive at the hotel and check in.
Because if we go with the interpretation that "after 4pm" means "room can be ready at any moment", then the following day still falls into that description. And they could just say "after 12pm" which would mean the same: the room will be ready at some point.

I have inquired with MS, this is their reply:

The check-in time at the DISNEY VACATION CLUB Resorts is at 4:00 PM ET,
however, we cannot guarantee that the accommodation will be ready upon
your arrival.

(my emphasys)

I know that there could be problems and unexpected circumstances that may force them to delay checkin for a few guests after 4pm. I'm not here asking for perfection. However the 4pm time is their goal and I think that if a member is delayed after that time, then the resort should issue some form of compensation. Which could be just a simple apology and maybe a drink.

3 different DVC stays in the last two years and not a single one was ready for 4 PM. My AKL and SSR stays were close to 6 PM, while my BWV stay was closer to 7 PM. Each stay was in a deluxe studio.

We tend to take early flights and arrive at the resorts around 10:00-11:00 AM. On rare occasion, the rooms have been ready but for the most part they aren't. We just plan that the room won't be ready and drop bags at bell services and go to the parks.

There's seems to be some inconsistency with the room ready text messages. Sometimes I'll physically go to the desk after 4:00 and the CM will say "your room has been ready for some time and we texted you." However, the text wasn't received.

Hotel rooms don't have ovens, dishwashers, dishes, washer, dryer, refrigerator, microwave, etc. Plus two bathrooms or three bathrooms. Hotel rooms are bedroom and bath. Villas are bedrooms, baths, living rooms, kitchens, sleeper sofas (that are harder to make than the beds).

The last few times we've stayed the sofa bed wasn't made.

I still don't think it takes significantly longer to clean a 1 bedroom compared to two hotel rooms, but I'm confident Disney knows for sure.

Regardless, Disney knows exactly how many rooms will be turned over on any given day and exactly how long it takes on average to turn over those rooms. They plan accordingly on the hotel side, why not on the DVC side? (Other than they don't have to!)

Based upon my own experiences and those of my circle of friends and associates, I don’t think late room access is a common problem. In 15+ years of ownership, it’s only happened to us once, specifically at the Grand Cal.

We’re talking about resorts that operate at near 100% occupancy. All it takes is one stubborn late-departing guest or some unexpected maintenance to delay access to a villa. Staffing issues may occasionally play a role, but again I don’t really see any evidence that it’s a chronic problem.

It’s best to really dial back expectations for arrival day. Making dinner / evening plans is really dicey given the uncertainties of travel and resort arrival. Assume you absolutely will not have a room before 4pm, perhaps a little after that. And be pleasantly surprised when the room is available earlier.

Hmmm... not to add fuel to the fire but I am checking into my very first DVC stay today. It says “Check In 4:00pm”. Not ‘after 4pm’.

I know you all are accurate by pointing out the website fine print says ‘after 4pm’ but the app is making promises. LOL

I think DVC’s goal is to make the 4pm delivery and ‘after’ is their loophole. Let’s see how this goes for my first stay.

2875BDD6-0867-48BD-B739-80FE7A64698E.jpeg

Hmmm... not to add fuel to the fire but I am checking into my very first DVC stay today. It says “Check In 4:00pm”. Not ‘after 4pm’.

I know you all are accurate by pointing out the website fine print says ‘after 4pm’ but the app is making promises. LOL

I think DVC’s goal is to make the 4pm delivery and ‘after’ is their loophole. Let’s see how this goes for my first stay.

View attachment 429686
I'm doing a cash reservation for a two bedroom at BLT, and mine also shows Check-In Time 4PM. Hopefully since they offer daily housekeeping for cash reservations, they prioritize cash since it's already an hour later than check in for the main hotels.

We almost never had to wait past 2-3 PM for our room to be ready, often we get a notice as soon as we get off the plane and activate our cell phones. We always vacation mid week to the following weekend. If you check in Sat or Sun expect a long wait as that is when about 80% (my guess) arrive/check out.

This bugs me A LOT.
I think the check in text has been changed to "after 4pm" just to mislead the guests into thinking the resort can do whatever they want while still being vague enough to not raise an official complaint.
If my check in is on 08/26 after 4pm, then I expect that today at any moment after 4pm I can arrive at the hotel and check in.
Because if we go with the interpretation that "after 4pm" means "room can be ready at any moment", then the following day still falls into that description. And they could just say "after 12pm" which would mean the same: the room will be ready at some point.

I have inquired with MS, this is their reply:

The check-in time at the DISNEY VACATION CLUB Resorts is at 4:00 PM ET,
however, we cannot guarantee that the accommodation will be ready upon
your arrival.

(my emphasys)

I know that there could be problems and unexpected circumstances that may force them to delay checkin for a few guests after 4pm. I'm not here asking for perfection. However the 4pm time is their goal and I think that if a member is delayed after that time, then the resort should issue some form of compensation. Which could be just a simple apology and maybe a drink.
I agree. Maybe an apology and a drink would be a nice gesture there. Maybe better so than a offer of late check-out. I stayed one night at the BCVs, two at the AKL-CL villas and four nights at SSR with my short lived DVC contract, and we got into our rooms pretty much around 1:30 I think.

3 different DVC stays in the last two years and not a single one was ready for 4 PM. My AKL and SSR stays were close to 6 PM, while my BWV stay was closer to 7 PM. Each stay was in a deluxe studio.
Ya, I would be mad to say the least.

The last few times we've stayed the sofa bed wasn't made.

I still don't think it takes significantly longer to clean a 1 bedroom compared to two hotel rooms, but I'm confident Disney knows for sure.

Regardless, Disney knows exactly how many rooms will be turned over on any given day and exactly how long it takes on average to turn over those rooms. They plan accordingly on the hotel side, why not on the DVC side? (Other than they don't have to!)
Exactly, they know. Perhaps they are not as concerned about making the guest that has already paid for their stay for years to come as happy as the guest who have not?

Based upon my own experiences and those of my circle of friends and associates, I don’t think late room access is a common problem. In 15+ years of ownership, it’s only happened to us once, specifically at the Grand Cal.

We’re talking about resorts that operate at near 100% occupancy. All it takes is one stubborn late-departing guest or some unexpected maintenance to delay access to a villa. Staffing issues may occasionally play a role, but again I don’t really see any evidence that it’s a chronic problem.

It’s best to really dial back expectations for arrival day. Making dinner / evening plans is really dicey given the uncertainties of travel and resort arrival. Assume you absolutely will not have a room before 4pm, perhaps a little after that. And be pleasantly surprised when the room is available earlier.

Our rooms at VGC almost always are ready right at 4PM or by 4:30 at the latest. I asked them about it once and was told that the Villas were the last scheduled for cleaning. I've seen them do services on the rooms that are staying earlier but you definitely see an influx of housekeeping later fo the rooms turning over.

I guess I've been lucky. I've gotten the room ready text as early as 8:30am, and as late as 3pm. I've never had to wait until 4 or after.

Last few Stays I have had: All 2 bedroom except Poly.

BLT: Room Ready upon arrival at 2:30.
HHI: Arrived at 11:00 (14 hour drive) Room by 1:00
SSR: Room Early at 2:30
Animal Kingdom Jambo - In room by 1:30
Switch to BW - In by 1:00
Poly arrived at 12:00 checked in: Room at 4:45 (Frustrating)

We seem to have been lucky for the most part. Poly was longest and by the way was the furthest from our request.

I'm doing a cash reservation for a two bedroom at BLT, and mine also shows Check-In Time 4PM. Hopefully since they offer daily housekeeping for cash reservations, they prioritize cash since it's already an hour later than check in for the main hotels.
Nope, whatever is next in line to clean. They go down the hallway doing their villas to clean.

One of the other possible issues is many DVC owners have a slightly less hectic travel pace since they know they will be back again and may as a whole vacate rooms later than those on the regular hotel side as non-owners. They also may have had a one bedroom become available in that period of time but there also may have been someone waiting since 8am for it and the got one first. You never know.

Both studios a Sunday check in at copper creek I got my room text at 2:13 pm. A Wednesday at the grand 1:25 pm. On one recent trip I stayed at POP and my room wasn't ready until long after 5.

I’m in my room at 1:55pm.
One catch, there was a service cast member here hanging new curtains. LOL

I guess they thought it would take longer for me to get here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter