Room Downgrade @ Checkin - Common?

Why do all of you guys hate the 90's at POP, it's my favourite location.....but then I'm English and I like to WALK!!!! (That's meant to be funny not derogatory before anyone kicks off!)

Downgrade not funny, no matter what level you are staying at, and refund is the least they can do. Wouldn't personally be too bothered about being downgraded from a king to 2 queens, it's happened to us and we just took a bed each!!!

I find it odd that POP had to downgrade at all though, we usally visit this time each year, and the last twice the staff have told us that POP was only running at 45% capacity....and AoA wasn't even open then.

We've also been downgraded at Pop. The same thing that happened to the OP happened to us. However, the CM addressed the issue head on and told us that a preferred room wasn't available. She also let us know that the refund had already been processed (and it had...I checked my card account online and they had already credited me). I was only there for a couple of hours before changing resorts for a conference so I let it go without a fight.

Don't many people book preferred due to mobility issues? I know some want to be close, but don't some NEED to be? That seems like that would be really unacceptable to have paid for and planned to be in a place where travel would be minimized only to find out the front desk can not properly assign rooms. I still have a problem with them holding your money for a year and then simply refunding it. I have no idea how much more a preferred room costs, but they are basically holding your money without interest and then saying "Too bad. We can not do simple math correctly (# of rooms=# of reservations)." I am shocked that this is happening at Disney.

Eliza32 said:
Why do all of you guys hate the 90's at POP, it's my favourite location.....but then I'm English and I like to WALK!!!! (That's meant to be funny not derogatory before anyone kicks off!)

Downgrade not funny, no matter what level you are staying at, and refund is the least they can do. Wouldn't personally be too bothered about being downgraded from a king to 2 queens, it's happened to us and we just took a bed each!!!

I find it odd that POP had to downgrade at all though, we usally visit this time each year, and the last twice the staff have told us that POP was only running at 45% capacity....and AoA wasn't even open then.

POP doesn't have queens, it has full sized beds which is often a deal breaker for many.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

So here I am digging up this old thread. I spent over 2 hours on the phone last night (most was on hold). The original reason was to add quick service dining to my CBR preferred room package I had booked a year ago. When quoted the price to add dining, I thought it seemed low. Come to find out it was because I had this mysterious credit on my reservation.....somehow or someone had downgraded me to a standard room. I was obviously not happy about this, we booked preferred for mobility reasons and would not have chosen CBR had it not been for a preferred room. So no one was going to tell us about this downgrade, there had been no phone calls and no emails, I guess we would have just found out at check in? :confused3 so after speaking with guest relations they reinstated my preferred room at CBR. Now though I am still nervous thinking that they surely overbooked this category and feel concerned that I will still not get the room category I booked and paid for well in advance.....and if they are in fact aware of an overbooking in advance (we arrive in 7 days) I believe they should satisfactorily address the issue now rather than wait to give a crappy surprise at check in. JMHO

Not sure what happened but sometimes rooms go out of service unexpectedly. Pipe breaks, AC goes out, etc.

This is true. It may not be overbooking so much as rooms being taken out of inventory for various reasons. It sucks but I'm sure they likely bump the one nighters vs. those staying all week first which I can understand.

that stinks. I haven't read through this entire thread but I've seen people comment on this before about how disney isn't guaranteeing anything etc. etc. and you're not entitled to the room you book necessarily. This kind of thing doesn't sit well with me though.

if you had called the day before and wanted to switch to a std room to save a few bucks you'd have been charged 50 dollars for a last minute switch. If they penalize you for not planning ahead then its my opinion they should be penalized too for not being prepared regardless of the reason whether it be in or out of disney's control (i.e. rooms having to be taken out of service or the like). things happen and if you're room catagory is not available they have to put you somewhere else. I'd like to see them upgrade in this situation if at all possible and if a downgrade can't be avoided then I think compensation at least in the neighborhood of that $50 fee they would charge you to voluntarily downgrade is in order.

being downgraded may not substantially effect one of many disney trips a lot of people on here take yearly. However there are plenty of families who go once with their kids or once every few years and being downgraded would be a big blow to me at the start of my vacation. particularly if it came with nothing more then a refund of the room difference. if they wanted the cash as opposed to the room they'd have booked that std room to start with.

OP- sorry this happened, I'm sure you still had a lovely trip :)

So here I am digging up this old thread. I spent over 2 hours on the phone last night (most was on hold). The original reason was to add quick service dining to my CBR preferred room package I had booked a year ago. When quoted the price to add dining, I thought it seemed low. Come to find out it was because I had this mysterious credit on my reservation.....somehow or someone had downgraded me to a standard room. I was obviously not happy about this, we booked preferred for mobility reasons and would not have chosen CBR had it not been for a preferred room. So no one was going to tell us about this downgrade, there had been no phone calls and no emails, I guess we would have just found out at check in? :confused3 so after speaking with guest relations they reinstated my preferred room at CBR. Now though I am still nervous thinking that they surely overbooked this category and feel concerned that I will still not get the room category I booked and paid for well in advance.....and if they are in fact aware of an overbooking in advance (we arrive in 7 days) I believe they should satisfactorily address the issue now rather than wait to give a crappy surprise at check in. JMHO

Sounds to me like now that you told them about the mobility issue, they will just "give the surprise" to someone else at check-in. Let's just hope they do the right thing this time and upgrade them. Or some of the other suggestions like a perk or at least be upfront and credit properly.

The very first time we stayed onsite was at AS Movies we payed for preferred and we were unaware that we were in a non preferred area till after we came home! I did inquire at the time if we were def in the right room as we had payed for preferred and felt we had a really long walk to the food court and was told yes. I called about a week after coming home...I did get an apology but no refund. We were just new to Disney and upon reflection I should have held out for at least a refund. It put us off staying onsite for a few years till we eventually decided to go back and give them another try. Now when checking in I make sure to ask and be assured if they try that again I will be ready to kick up one royal stink. OP so sorry that happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter