Room Downgrade @ Checkin - Common?

This happens at offsite places too so I wouldn't be carrying on about Disney stuff. We booked and paid for a king size bed room at an offsite place. We didn't check in when we arrived in Kissimmee since this hotel will NOT check you in until after 3:00 so we went to Epcot and stayed until just before Illuminations. When we got to the hotel, we were told all the king bed rooms were gone. We were stuck with a queen size bed but we were refunded the different in the price.

Thank you all for your opinions. I did sense that if I had not insisted that I had booked a preferred room, no mention of the downgrade (and subsequent refund of the difference) would have been forthcoming.

I think I will send an email to Disney ... although I accepted it quietly at the time (long line at check-in) I had just spent 16 days with them - 8 at Caribbean Beach AND 7 nights on the Disney Fantasy. They had seen plenty of our money - a bad downgrade was an unfortunate end to a Disney holiday.

I think it is bad to downgrade a reservation that you had thought about and decided where you wanted to stay and were excited about your decision for months and then at the last minute- take that away from you. it shouldn't be done. IF they are going to take something away from you it should at least be equal or above what you wanted for the inconvenience and hurt you feel after months of picking out your dream vacation.

Thank you all for your opinions. I did sense that if I had not insisted that I had booked a preferred room, no mention of the downgrade (and subsequent refund of the difference) would have been forthcoming.

Honestly, this is what I find most alarming. Maybe your check-in CM was pooped out and just wanted to move you along and maybe the credit would have shown up on your CC had you just accepted the 90s building without question...BUT the fact that they were just going to send you to the room without an explanation and without offer of a refund is not cool. If it were me, I would stress this in your email to Disney.

I get that nothing is guaranteed (I mean, I get that on it's face, but it's total BS - if you book it it should be there) but it really seems shady to try and send you away without bothering to explain the situation.

Holy cow. That is totally unacceptable. There is no way I would ever put up with that. There is just no excuse, it's almost like a scam! :furious:

Good for you for your persistance.

This EXACT thing just happened to me when I booked a one-night stay at Pop (we flew in early to beat the hurricane that never was)!!! Only I was STUPID and didn't argue and didn't even GET the refund! That one night in the 90's building was TERRIBLE. When she finally showed me the map where our room was (I booked 2 adjoining rooms for my family and my cousin's family), and I said, "What??? That horrible, far-off building?" She said, "Oh... did you want me to look for a closer one?" But my cousin's husband had already started heading off for the room so it was too late. UGH!

I feel like a broken record on this thread, but after 2 posters have the same thing happen, and one doesn't get a credit...something is a bit fishy here. How many other guests have had this happen?? Time for you to complain, too andeesings. It might be too late for your credit but you can, at the very least, stress that you were downgraded without explanation AND not offered or given a credit for the additional amount that you paid for your preferred room. Disney might not be able to guarantee the room you booked, but they should be able to guarantee fair business practices! This just really bothers me.

For those who say this happens off property also, that's fine and dandy, but this is Disney. Most people pick Disney because of the magic, the pixie dust, and the [hopefully] outstanding customer service. That used to be what Disney was known for and what it built its company name on. :sad2:

I have to be honest, with the money we all spend there, if the CM isn't first looking at you're booking history before attempting a stunt like this, they are nuts. I'd tell them in no uncertain terms, if they cannot provide the room booked and paid for, I'd be canceling my room and taking my money OFF property. I'd also be calling CRO, explaining what happened, and see if they could find me another room on property.

Sounds good in theory but if you have had a long day already, making a stand for the principle of it is not always practical. I don't blame the OP at all for settling for the available room and refund instead of dragging the family all around town, especially if it was only one night. If it were more than that, I would have insisted that the room be changed the next day.

would e mail guest relations on this as this is un called for. POP is ususally on it and sorry this happened but anytime somethign does come up ask for a manager and if that one don't work ask for his or her "property" manager. don't stop have them upgrade you then not downgrade you for their mistake...had this happen over to Music one time tow hours later we sitting in POR but not my fault they over booked

I would not have taken a downgrade. You booked and paid for a preferred room. I would have asked to speak to a manager. I have never heard of anyone not getting the room they booked or better....if they had over booked the preferred room category they should have upgraded you to a moderate resort. Or given you a refund of the entire cost and let you stay for free.

Agree. I would have asked for a manager and had a firm conversation with him about this. I'm pretty sure if they were motivated enough they would upgrade me instead of downgrade me and my mission would be to motivate them.

The lesson I take away from the OP's post is that you should try to book your Disney stay before your cruise. Then you have a bit more leverage by threatening to cancel the cruise reservation or getting them to upgrade your room on the cruise.

I would never have accepted it. If you are persistent, they will accommodate. You may have to stand there for a couple hours, but they will fold. Downgrade is not acceptable. Nope. You either give me what I paid for, or you upgrade me. Otherwise, the extra money I pay for preferred was basically borrowed from Disney until I arrived and not acceptable.

Booking as room is not like booking an airline ticket. You are 100% entitled to the room level you booked, especially if it was prepaid. However compensation would be the answer., stuff happens. But it's a little like ordering a steak and being brought a burger don't you think?

Not sure what happened but sometimes rooms go out of service unexpectedly. Pipe breaks, AC goes out, etc.

While true, I think the real problem is how the CMs are trained [or not trained as the case may be] to interact with the guest in these cases. As it is, it can come off Disney trying to pull a fast one on the guests.

I do understand that with some resorts [especially the Value ones] there aren't a whole lot of booking categories to 'upgrade'.

Yes, this does happen sometimes, when the preferred rooms end up not being available. I agree with the above post that it does seem sometimes, in the way the cast members handle it, that Disney is trying to pull a fast one, but they will do this if the rooms aren't available. They just probably won't tell you WHY the rooms aren't available.

I've heard all they'll offer you is a room at the same resort and the price difference refunded. They will not offer to comp your room and will try to keep you at the resort you booked. If you want more (like an upgrade - which at a value would mean you will be sent to a different resort) you will probably have to ask for it from a manager and be prepared for them to say no, but if the preferred rooms at that resort are not available for some reason you're not going to get one.

And no, you are not 100% entitled to the room level you booked. In travel, you are not 100% entitled to anything,

We can agree to disagree on what you are entitled to, but most companies will at the very least either compensate or refund. No company would make you pay top dollar for a better item, room, seat and then take it away without compensation. That's called a bait and switch and is at the very least least bad form and in some cases illegal. However Like any profitable business if you the consumer are going to agree to no compensation then they would Like that also.

most companies will at the very least either compensate or refund.

Disney will refund the difference (some have said they have to ask to be sure it's done, so make sure you ask). If the room you booked is not available when you check in due to unforeseen circumstances, it is not a bait and switch, nor is it illegal. If they allow you to book it KNOWING you won't get it at the time you book it, then you're getting into bait and switch territory, but who knows if that's the case or not. I am sure most of the posters are thinking such a move deserves a FULL refund and a free vacation, but that is likely not what Disney will do without the guest pushing it further. That's how it is. You can accept what they offer and be done with it, but be prepared to push if you want more.

But if it is happening repeatedly and people are not being offered the refund up front, then that certainly could move it into a legal definition of bait and switch.

It's always a good idea to check and make sure they refund the difference. They're supposed to do it. If someone's not doing it, it's probably inadvertent. And I believe you have to check every single thing about a Disney reservation somehow. They don't have the best track record.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter