ROL disappointing!

We saw it in March and other than the fact that I bout froze to death, we liked it. I'm not a fan of Illuminations, we have seen Fantasmic so many times my son refuses to see it any more, I'm height challenged and have tried the SW show twice and both times last minute two huge men came and squeezed in front of me so I only saw the FWs part, I haven't seen HEA yet but I have watched it on line and it will probably be an only once in a while thing for us, again with the projections and the height challenged. We got a FP for ROL late in the afternoon while walking around and got there just as they opened the FP seating area (we were tired, my son had hurt his back on EE and we just needed to rest) so we were about 3 rows from the bottom, very middle of that section. We both said we needed to go back again and see it because we just couldn't see everything that was going on, we didn't get there that trip but will go again next trip some time this summer. Minnesota! if you don't want the dining package, I would just wait and see if you can't snag a FP after you have used all yours.

Don't understand those that are disappointed, and making a 'maybe' decision to see it, just based on what some others have said! :confused3 Sort of like not trying a restaurant that you'd like to, but won't, because some people don't like it!

All shows are not for everyone, just like all rides are not for everyone. But, at least see it for yourself. Based on the crowds/lines recently to see it, can't see it diminishing any time soon. Time will tell. Dh & I will definitely be there on every trip.

I haven't seen it but I have a thought. Back in the day there were things at WDW that were just sort of "Wow that was cool, didn't know about that." For example, Electric Water Pageant comes to mind. It wasn't a billboard attraction or something you had to book months ahead or plot to get a seat for, it just was there. Now everything has to have headline hype and a cost/profit ratio built in. That's a shame, it was part of the magic. If this show was part of the "didn't expect that" component it would be hugely popular.

Last edited:
Add us to the underwhelmed crowd. Paid $125 for two for Tusker house lunch package. I'm glad we saw it, but it was not that great. Not something I would need to see again unless there were significant advertised changes or something.

We saw it on our March trip and thought it was good but not great. Not on the same level as Fantasmic for my crew. We tied up our third fp for this (glad we did this before Pandora opened). I won't say we won't see it again; but we won't use a fp, get a dining pkg for it, or wait in a long line to see it. Hopefully they will consider tweaking it to make it more appealing even though it took much longer than planned to get the show running.

Like many things, it's just a matter of opinion. No one is wrong, and no one is right either!!! :)

Personally, I love it. No, there aren't huge fireworks and lots of dialogue. The highlights of this show are more subtle, but equally impressive. Just prior to the show starting, be watching the trees along the back. First, you'll notice fireflies in them and the colors changing. Then you'll start to see shadows of the different animals walking across them. No, nothing brings your attention to them, you just have to be looking.

My 16yo son was the one who pointed out to me at first how cool the floating lotuses are. Each moves and spins, changes color, and provides its own water screen. We found those the easiest to see from the FP viewing area. The larger screen was very impressive, though on a breezy night some of the pictures were a little blurry.

I like the music a lot, and can't figure out why it isn't for sale on iTunes yet!

I actually like having a seat for the show. I don't think you're any more crammed in there than you are in front of the Castle during the nighttime show! At least here everyone has their own seat, and no one is hoisting their kids on their shoulders right before the show starts LOL!!!

I hope you enjoy the show, let us know what you think!!

Very well said monorail mom. I totally agree with you. My 12 yr old niece and I loved this show and all the little pieces that built up gradually. It's definitely a must do for us, but would be a poor choice if looking for a Fantasmic style show.

This is going to need a real reimagining real soon.

Why not a a world of colorish show with more of animal theme.

The music isn't catchy - The show isn't entertaining, and the messaging isn't conveyed in an understandable way.

Could be a more water light show based on themes and music for Jungle Book, Lion King, Nemo, Tarzan now with Avatar.

If you like the show more power to you - but I've found most people including myself find it dissapointing.

and Disney's latest "trend".. the Projections. we hate them

Same. Even with WOC I sit there wondering how they actually do it. If my mind is on the lightboard, I'm not sure that's a good show LOL.

If we had taken the 'been there, done that' attitude towards the show, we would have missed out on one of the very best family moments we've ever had.

Or you did miss out on something else that would have been amazing. Sounds like you were having a great day; you probably would have had a great time doing anything at that point. :)

We thought it was alright but probably wouldn't bother watching it again. We preferred the Tree of Life Awakenings over ROL.
We are planning on going next May which will be the first time seeing the show. We wanted to see it on our last trip in May 2016 but they were having problems with the show then. I would like to see it plus the Tree of Life Awakening. Can you see both or do they go in at the same time?

We are planning on going next May which will be the first time seeing the show. We wanted to see it on our last trip in May 2016 but they were having problems with the show then. I would like to see it plus the Tree of Life Awakening. Can you see both or do they go in at the same time?
Yes, you can see both. I believe they run Awakenings every 10 minutes or so with a number of different versions to see.

I've said this is other threads, RoL reminds me of tapestry of Nations. No Disney characters, no Disney music, the message is conveyed through artistic expression, at the discretion of the viewer. It's not "In your face Disney" and I like it alot.
I like that AK has stayed true to their original views and highlight the beauty of foreign sounds, and images. A calming, gorgeous show
You want your Disney characters and music, go watch Fantasmic
You want fireworks go watch Happily Ever After
At WDW there's something for everyone

I liked it. If you are looking for a "Disney" themed show - you will be disappointed. I thought it was very pretty - and you do have to watch the subtle build-up to appreciate it more. This isn't an "awe-inspiring" show - but it's pretty, relaxing, and visually interesting. I had FP seating for the show - and I thought the view as great. They do have alot of poles in the theater - and as the CMs try to get folks to pack in more as show time approaches - bet sure you don't let them convince you to have one of those block your view. One did that to me - and I just ended up walking away and sitting someplace else. They were clearly peeved at me for not following directions - but its also rude to ask someone to sit in a seat with a pole directly in front of them.

If you get seated on the metal benches - the seating is just like Fantasmic.

I like it A TON better than Illuminations. Illuminations is the show that needs to be revamped for me. To me, that globe in the middle - while technologically impressive when it came out - is too old school now and unless you have a good view - BORING as all get out. Plus - you have to stand for that and I like the seating at ROL.

I think ROL fits in well with the theming and overall messaging of AK and adds a nice option to the evening for AK.

Was hoping to say, "loved it!"

We did the dining package and was told "there are no seats, you should have arrived earlier." How about don't over sell your seats? A few choice words with a manager got us seats. Really not magical. Don't oversell the packages, Disney. I felt bad for the cast members.

But man, MEH is the general feeling. The boats were awesome. The music wasn't bad. But the projections looked pretty budget (somehow) compared to Workd of Color. It just was missing something.

Definitely go see it though! I just wasn't impressed, the ground work is there and I think they'll tweak it to be better. It wasn't bad but I'll take HEA, illuminations, SW and fantastic over it any day of the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter