ROFR Thread Jan to March 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated!

Sorry that I missed updating last week...we were living it up at Aulani and DL. Now I want (need) Aulani points. And probably toss some VGC in there, in preparation for more that I will want (need) at DHT.

I've decided that I won't buy points unless they go below what we originally bought our contracts for about five years ago. That's a pretty high bar, so for now I am safe.

Now, off to read threads on whether buying $50 VB points as SAP is financial suicide...

Also, an important New Year reminder- please, please, please use the tool on Page 1. I am having to skip/ correct dozens of posts lately- even if you are writing /2023 instead of the tool auto-generating the correct string with /23, it takes a lot of extra time to fix all of these, and when there are 30+ pages to go through, it takes hours. Hours that I could be looking at listings I'm not buying! And nobody wants that 😜.

Also, an important New Year reminder- please, please, please use the tool on Page 1. I am having to skip/ correct dozens of posts lately- even if you are writing /2023 instead of the tool auto-generating the correct string with /23, it takes a lot of extra time to fix all of these, and when there are 30+ pages to go through, it takes hours. Hours that I could be looking at listings I'm not buying! And nobody wants that 😜.
Thanks for all the work you put in! Also join the Hawaiian club! :p

I would love to know the secret of getting these great deals! I have made multiple offers over the last two weeks - all rejected or sold to other buyers. Yes, I have offered low, but watching this thread and not offering lower than what is being currently accepted (somewhere in the middle). I'm also offering over the Instant Sale amount. How many offers are some of you making before you get one that accepts?
I think first and foremost the secret is using Fidelity and not the board sponsor or most of the other sites. They are still running $10 to $20 pp above fidelity for whatever reason.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster....

We're in the process of making offers for our first DVC contract. Listen to this shenanigans:
We just offered $90pp on an SSR contract (listed at $129pp) through a broker that *did* have an offer threshold tool. The seller countered above asking. Hoping that it was a mistake, we counter-countered with $95..... they countered with $200pp! I reached out to the broker to let them know that while we understood sellers had absolute control over what they were willing to accept, we found the gesture to be juvenile and not a great representation of the brokerage's sellers in a saturated market. The broker then informed us that the seller was so offended by our offer and was so upset that the broker allowed it to be sent, THAT HE PULLED HIS LISTING ENTIRELY.

Stay safe out there, y'all.... it's a wild world.

We're in the process of making offers for our first DVC contract. Listen to this shenanigans:
We just offered $90pp on an SSR contract (listed at $129pp) through a broker that *did* have an offer threshold tool. The seller countered above asking. Hoping that it was a mistake, we counter-countered with $95..... they countered with $200pp! I reached out to the broker to let them know that while we understood sellers had absolute control over what they were willing to accept, we found the gesture to be juvenile and not a great representation of the brokerage's sellers in a saturated market. The broker then informed us that the seller was so offended by our offer and was so upset that the broker allowed it to be sent, THAT HE PULLED HIS LISTING ENTIRELY.

Yes, I heard that recently too about how they were so upset they wanted to pull it… I almost feel for the brokers because it’s not their fault that the market is so low right now… Many sellers have unreasonable expectations, and the brokers are stuck between buyers chomping at the bit for an amazing deal and sellers who are determined to get top dollar like how they could have a year ago…

Yes, I heard that recently too about how they were so upset they wanted to pull it… I almost feel for the brokers because it’s not their fault that the market is so low right now… Many sellers have unreasonable expectations, and the brokers are stuck between buyers chomping at the bit for an amazing deal and sellers who are determined to get top dollar like how they could have a year ago…

It amazed me most that this site offered a threshold tool that the seller chose not to use.... and they still got salty. I totally understand that there are a million different reasons for selling: voluntarily/involuntarily/needing to pay off a loan/etc. They could have instantly declined our offer and I would have thought nothing of it! C'est la vie..... we already submitted another offer on one of the 30+ near-identical contracts we have saved. One will land eventually :)

It amazed me most that this site offered a threshold tool that the seller chose not to use.... and they still got salty. I totally understand that there are a million different reasons for selling: voluntarily/involuntarily/needing to pay off a loan/etc. They could have instantly declined our offer and I would have thought nothing of it! C'est la vie..... we already submitted another offer on one of the 30+ near-identical contracts we have saved. One will land eventually :)

The purpose of the tool though is to give a seller who needs a quick sale something that is below what they should be able to sell it for if they wait for another. buyer

As I shared, I could have gotten $118 as an instant offer from the broker when ROFR was in the high $120s, so taking the instant sale is going to net a seller much less than listing it..because sellers pay the closing too.

So, I think most sellers who list and had that option do so because they are expecting to get much more than instant sale pricing.

Some sellers are unreasonable...... and some brokers are as well.

We got a low ball offer $20/pp lower and countered this past fall, and got a decent price but I also felt the market was going much lower for DVC so we took what we could get. I think sellers are in for a hard reality lesson over the next year or two.

I would’ve countered with a dollar lol. What an idiot. A simple no would’ve done just fine.

The purpose of the tool though is to give a seller who needs a quick sale something that is below what they should be able to sell it for if they wait for another. buyer

As I shared, I could have gotten $118 as an instant offer from the broker when ROFR was in the high $120s, so taking the instant sale is going to net a seller much less than listing it..because sellers pay the closing too.

So, I think most sellers who list and had that option do so because they are expecting to get much more than instant sale pricing.
This wasn't the Instant Sale tool; this broker (a smaller broker comparatively) has an offer threshold tool, where Sellers could choose to automatically refuse to be sent offers below $X/pp. Offer submissions and counters are electronically sent directly to the sellers and buyers and don't go through this particular broker first (to my understanding), so it was unknown if their initial counter above asking was accurate or a mistake.

What’s even the appeal right now of buying a contract that you wont’ be able to use until 2025? There’s so much else on the market.

Do you think the market is going to fall so low that you can get $100 SSR points for $80ish in the next year? If you don’t and don’t need the points right now then it is a great deal.

I’m the original poster about this and am still negotiating it, cause getting it that low is a huge bargain long term.

Nope! If we have to cancel a trip within 31 days, I’ll simple rent the reservation. And if I can’t, I’ll offer to friends or family.

We travel enough that as long as we cancel more than 31 days, those points can be banked and the following year I book larger rooms.

For example, I had to cancel a trip this month because my dad passed away. I relocated them into my RIV night in a few weeks and because there was a GV, I booked that for the one night instead of the cabin I had booked using my VGF points. Had that not been available I had days at RIV in March and September booked too!

They are Dec UY and always will be used for my winter trips!
I am so, so sorry. I hope that you and your family are doing okay. Thinking of you 😞

You should name the broker (list the web address). That’s ludicrous.

Do you think the market is going to fall so low that you can get $100 SSR points for $80ish in the next year? If you don’t and don’t need the points right now then it is a great deal.

I’m the original poster about this and am still negotiating it, cause getting it that low is a huge bargain long term.
Yeah, no, I agree with you, if you can get it for $80 I think it’s a great deal. I more meant, if you were buying to use points in the next year or two, then it won’t help you.

I would love to know the secret of getting these great deals! I have made multiple offers over the last two weeks - all rejected or sold to other buyers. Yes, I have offered low, but watching this thread and not offering lower than what is being currently accepted (somewhere in the middle). I'm also offering over the Instant Sale amount. How many offers are some of you making before you get one that accepts?
I put in offers on 13 different contracts before the BLT offer was accepted. Just remember that there is no rush on your end. You don't NEED the points this week or the next week. There will always be more contracts up for sale. The market will continue to get softer. I probably will end up looking back and saying to myself "I paid too much, I could have gotten the same contract for ..."

The instant sale tool (in my opinion) is horrible for a seller. They pay for EVERYTHING, closing costs, all dues, commissions.... My bet is that the buyer in that case does NOT pay a commission to their own sales team when they resell the property (or at least a much smaller commission). And they sell the contract after stripping the points and renting them out.

And they sell the contract after stripping the points and renting them out.
Ooh, I think that’s a really good way for them to get burned eventually if that’s what’’s happening. Disney prohibits commercial activity by owners, and while that is generally nebulous, a big resale company buying a ton of contracts routinely and stripping them to rent points definitely falls afoul of that in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter