ROFR Thread April to June 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was an international seller, I'd probably wouldn't want buyers to know since the biggest selling point is that you would mostly likely pass ROFR and the buyer would be emboldened to bid as low as possible.
They could also use that as a way to get buyers to pay more since it's pretty much guaranteed to pass ROFR and it's still way better than paying the direct price.

I think you can justify a higher price if you want to stay at Riviera, and probably VDH and Poly2 with your points, not to mention whatever else DVC is cooking up. An additional $4800 over the duration of the contract might be worth it.
Agree to disagree :) if I want to stay at riviera I will rent out my points and transfer in riviera points. Totally worth $19000 vs $23800 on a small pt contract

Last edited:

I think you can justify a higher price if you want to stay at Riviera, and probably VDH and Poly2 with your points, not to mention whatever else DVC is cooking up. An additional $4800 over the duration of the contract might be worth it.

I'm not sure why dvc members sometimes mention 'cost over the duration of the contract' is neglectable. 🤔 We do try to save even tiny bits for every purchase. We don't say like that for other long-term purchases like house and car.

I'm not sure why dvc members sometimes mention 'cost over the duration of the contract' is neglectable. 🤔 We do try to save even tiny bits for every purchase. We don't say like that for other long-term purchases like house and car.
I think you mean negligible, and I actually never said that.

I think what they are implying is that the overall cost of 20+ years of Disney trips is so much more than the difference that it may not be worth the hassle of trying to save a little bit of money upfront, especially if it limits your ability to use the points as you would like over the life of the contract.

Actually, I would definitely say that about a house. I bought a house that I thought was slightly overpriced at the time because it was exactly what I wanted and where I wanted. The seller wouldn’t budge and I walked away but the more I looked the more I knew I couldn’t find something like the house I wanted so I decided to pay. It was over priced for the area and I spent considerably more that $4800 over the going rate at the time. And I am extremely happy I did it. I think this comes down to the individual. People spend their money on what they think is important.

IMO, I think that it depends on how important those things that are not available are to one as a buyer.

So, $4800 extra upfront, for the chance to stay at RIV, future resorts, and be eligible for whatever membership extras might come along is not huge in the scheme of things,

If you own at least 10 years, you spent an extra $480 each of those years to have those things.

Now, for some, those things don’t matter now. But, in 2042 when those resorts might be off the table, it may matter.

For us, having points that are not restricted was most important. The only ones we were willing to buy were RIV since we plan to stay there each and every trip for at least a few nights.

IMO, I think that it depends on how important those things that are not available are to one as a buyer.

So, $4800 extra upfront, for the chance to stay at RIV, future resorts, and be eligible for whatever membership extras might come along is not huge in the scheme of things,

If you own at least 10 years, you spent an extra $480 each of those years to have those things.

Now, for some, those things don’t matter now. But, in 2042 when those resorts might be off the table, it may matter.

For us, having points that are not restricted was most important. The only ones we were willing to buy were RIV since we plan to stay there each and every trip for at least a few nights.
This pretty much explains why we bought Riviera. We wanted points we could use at Riviera and future resorts and we wanted the discount. I know people complain that the discount isn't much, but we've done a couple of trips as direct members now and between dining and merchandise discounts, we've already saved several hundred dollars (we have a big family and we like to shop!). No regrets on buying my resale points either- that saved me a fortune on AKV, but I'm glad I have both.

As for renting out points to use the money for a Rivera stay- I get that it works for some people, but if I have points available, I'm going to want to use them all for myself! Plus, I hate the hassle of selling, paying taxes on the sale, etc.

Excited to be first-time owners! But also feeling a little guilty— condolences to those that have been taken here the last few weeks.

pks_domer---$135-$23608-160-AKV-Mar-0/21, 160/22, 160/23-international seller- sent 5/3, passed 5/25. Estoppel issued today as well.
I know she's a bit of a legend on Disboards and that a bunch of you have already said how fantastic she is, but I was still a little surprised how fast Cammy over at Mason had our closing docs to us...

This pretty much explains why we bought Riviera. We wanted points we could use at Riviera and future resorts and we wanted the discount. I know people complain that the discount isn't much, but we've done a couple of trips as direct members now and between dining and merchandise discounts, we've already saved several hundred dollars (we have a big family and we like to shop!). No regrets on buying my resale points either- that saved me a fortune on AKV, but I'm glad I have both.

As for renting out points to use the money for a Rivera stay- I get that it works for some people, but if I have points available, I'm going to want to use them all for myself! Plus, I hate the hassle of selling, paying taxes on the sale, etc.
It also explains why we bought VGF2 direct as well, though with the incentives at the time my price per point was $179.

Also, last year I rented out some points for a WDW Christmas trip we had to cancel, a week in a one bedroom at CCV. No one wanted the reservation, so it sat on the former sponsor‘s rental sight for two months, until I wound up having to break it up into smaller one or two night stays with I think 12-13 separate reservations at various resorts before the points expired Feb. 28. Needless to say, having to contact member services 13 times to transfer the reservations when they did rent out, at fire sale prices, was time consuming and a huge, huge pain...and I’ll never do it again. I had thought a hard to get Christmas reservation would rent out fast, but I learned that a large percentage of renters are bargain hunters with no interest in pricey reservations.

So my rental experience was not the easy, painless process I was lead to believe on both the podcast and the boards. I guess it might be easier if you do it far enough in advance, and plan for it specifically to stay at another resort, but then, it might not be. It was definitely way more of a hassle than I had anticipated.

but I learned that a large percentage of renters are bargain hunters with no interest in pricey reservations.
This is true. My limited rental experience showed that most people wanting to rent at Aulani only want 2-3 nights, and almost all the time in the standard view hotel room, which is the lowest points chart room in the inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter