Road trip vacation

Jrb1979

DIS Veteran
This summer my wife, the kids and I are planning a 2 week long road trip. First stop is Thunder Bay Ontario to visit her parents for the first week. The second week the plan is to drive through the US through Minnesota to visit Valley Fair. Then down to Kansas City to visit World's of Fun followed by our last stop at Kings Island in Cincinnati. Looking forward to it.

My question is does anyone else do road trips anymore for vacation?

Our road trips are more of a long weekend kind of thing. We recently went to Branson for 2 nights. Other trips have been to a cabin in kentucky at a state park (that was really fun, and cheap), chicago, cleveland, Put in bay, St. Louis.

For a long weekend, the farthest we will drive is about 6 hours and that's pushing it a bit. I like to keep it under 4.

May 2022 we did a road trip to Utah for a week long stay in the Capitol Reef and Escalante areas. September I did a road trip to Yellowstone for a backpacking trip. Early October we went with friends to Gloucester and Salem, MA, for a few days.

So, yes, we road trip.

I've been planning a 3 week road trip for this summer for over a year, but DH just told me a few days ago that he can't take 3 weeks in a row this year. This throws my planning off...what little planning I had! We had some destinations in mind, and we were trying to see as many states as we could, even if it was a quick stop at a small destination across the border. Now that I'm stuck to 17 days tops, I need to scale back my expectations.

We definitely do road trips and I've done them all my life since I grew up on the West Coast and visited relatives in the MidWest. DH is newer to the road trip thing, since he married me. We did a road trip in October including parts of WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, NM, TX, CO, UT, and ID. It was great!

We've only a got a few trips left, and we'll have been in all 50 states. Some of our trips further afield involve flying somewhere and renting a car for the road trip. Even on a weekend getaway we try to get on the road. For example, when we went to New Orleans for a long weekend, we rented a car just for a day and drove along the Gulf Coast through Mississippi and Alabama.

My wife & I are talking about taking a 2-week road trip for our anniversary. We would fly to Halifax, NS and then drive down through New England until we reach New York City. Then we would spend a week there, to celebrate our anniversary.

September 2022 we did a road trip to Utah for a week long stay in the Capitol Reef, Arches and Escalante areas.

I wouldn't do Escalante again - at least the B&B we went to was blech...

Hope you enjoy kings island. I haven’t been in several years but used to love taking my son when he was younger.

Hope you enjoy kings island. I haven’t been in several years but used to love taking my son when he was younger.
I haven't been in about 5 years but they have since added a 300 ft coaster that I want to ride plus a night ride on the Beast

Do RV trips count? We traveled from California to Newfoundland and back last summer (4 months).
I was about to say the same thing, just about anyone who owns a RV probably has done them. We had plans to do lots of them for a month out at a time when we bought our RV but that hasn't worked out. Hubby's work has required him to physically travel to his different office locations a lot in the past 3 years. We do use the RV for that. Hubby also hates to vacation. I mean he hates it. If we tack an extra day onto his work trips to just see the sites where we are, he will always come up with some excuse not to do it. Heck, we did a trip with 4 or 5 days at the Fort at WDW then went to St. Augustine and the RV park was right across the street from the beach on one side and the river was about 10 steps from it on the other. He went to the parks at WDW for 3 or 4 hours 3 of the days and stayed in the RV or drove around the Fort in the golf cart with the dog the rest of the time. At St. Augustine I talked him into taking a tram tour of the city since they would pick us up at the RV park and the dog could go with us (little yorkie) he did that then went back to the RV. My son and I stayed in town and walked around a bit and took an Uber back. I went to the beach every morning and every night, he drove over there one morning for about 1 hour (it really was maybe the distance from the front of MK to the Castle to walk). The rest of the time he and my son stayed in the RV watching a Georgia game and my son joined me on the beach some of the time. He didn't even walk over to the river (I did every day).

When I was a kid that was the only type of vacation we took. We even took a 2 month trip from New Mexico across to California, camping the entire way (in tents) and up the coast then back down through Nevada. It was so much fun.

Every vacation is a road trip.

I don't understand the thought of choosing to fly then come to the Dis to complain about TSA, complain about the lines, complain about the tiny seat, complain about no leg room, complain about the person in front leaning their seat back, complain about the kid behind them pounding on the seat, complain about the baby screaming and crying across the aisle, and finally complaining about the lady with her emotional support rattle snake. You chose it :confused3

Generally our road trip is driving to WDW from VA with no stops other than to see my parents in NC.

This year, we rented a cool Airbnb on a farm by St. Augustine that has tons of animals. Plus, sightseeing in St. A as well before our Disney portion.

We haven't done a true road trip with multiple intentional stops in years. Mainly it is family stop + destination only.

The only trips I've ever taken are all road trips. I've never been in any other form of transportation.

Since our Disney trip got cancelled in March of 2020, all of our vacations have been road trips of four to five thousand miles each trip. Wonderful way to see this beautiful country!
I may never set foot in an airport again!

I've always taken road trips (and flights). They are the best and sky rocketed during the pandemic! LOve being able to stop when I want. THinking of spring break road trip CA to MI to see a friend, then to MN to see a friend, then to Maine to see my nephew, end the trip seeing Niagra Falls on the Canada side!

Every vacation is a road trip.

I don't understand the thought of choosing to fly then come to the Dis to complain about TSA, complain about the lines, complain about the tiny seat, complain about no leg room, complain about the person in front leaning their seat back, complain about the kid behind them pounding on the seat, complain about the baby screaming and crying across the aisle, and finally complaining about the lady with her emotional support rattle snake. You chose it :confused3
I can't drive to Europe. I also don't get enough vacation time to lose a day on each end to driving.

My last real road trip was in October 2020. I had 2 weeks of vacation time to burn because all my trips had been canceled for to covid and we were not ready for planes yet, so we drove down to WDW.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter