Riviera Resale-Wow?

Probably current owners who already have other resorts they can trade into all the other resorts with. Adding RR to the mix isn't a bad idea in that sitch. Probably smaller contracts going more easily than larger.

I have been following this thread (along with other Riviera resale threads) and I agree with many of the comments. Here is my take...I own about half of my overall pts at Riviera and I absolutely love it there! I originally purchased 400 pts direct and then added on 412 pts via resale. Since I often travel with a large entourage (family and friends...lol) adding the additional resale pts to my direct pts really made a lot of sense to me financially and provides me a lot of flexibility with how I like to vacation (larger accommodations). I personally don’t care about the resale restrictions at all...not planning on ever selling any of my contracts...with the intention of leaving them to my children and (hopefully) grand children one day!😁

I do understand/respect other people’s views/concerns regarding the resale restrictions...the good thing is that DVC provides so many great choices (direct or resale) to satisfy everyone’s needs!

Last edited:
I have been following this thread (along with other Riviera resale threads) and I agree with many of the comments. Here is my take...I own about half of my overall pts at Riviera and I absolutely love it there! I originally purchased 400 pts direct and then added on 412 pts via resale. Since I often travel with a large entourage (family and friends...lol) adding the additional resale pts to my direct pts really made a lot of sense to me financially and provides me a lot of flexibility with how I like to vacation (larger accommodations). I personally don’t care about the resale restrictions at all...not planning on ever selling any of my contracts...with the intention of leaving them to my children and (hopefully) grand children one day!😁

I do understand/respect other people’s views/concerns regarding the resale restrictions...the good thing is that DVC provides so many great choices (direct or resale) to satisfy everyone’s needs!
How does one get into this entourage? Is there an application process? 🤪

I’m going with this is 2020 nothing makes any darn sense.

(Also, I think it is the beautiful and shiny new toy of DVC and people just want it.)

If I didn’t already own direct pts (either at Riviera or any other DVC resorts)...I’m not 💯 sure that I would’ve still purchased Riviera resale (probably still would have😄). But if you’re like me and other fans of Riviera, then I think it can make sense financially by combining direct with resale to bring the cost per pt down...as long as you love the resort and are content with staying there for the majority of the time.

never-rivieras will never understand why people like the riviera
it's only been open for 6 months basically and half empty for 3 of them...or occupied by NBA players... 😝......have yet to hear anyone who didn't like staying there. 5-10 minutes to Epcot and 10-15 to Hollywood is pretty appealing. I guess you could say the same about Caribbean Beach depending on the station and location of room on property but not in the same class as far as room. People probably forget there are only 300 rooms too compared to say Saratago, which has 1300. If you want to stay there in any of the studios, it's probably going to be an 11 month booking. So people attempting to trade in at 7 would be looking at One BR's maybe most times of the year and in the fall that may even be tough. I see that location as very appealing for Race Weekends and Food and Wine, obviously. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain the level service that the deluxe resorts typically have with everything that has gone on. That could be the issue for the foreseeable future.

Geez, I hadn’t really thought about it having so few rooms. RIV has almost a million more points than BLT, which has 428 rooms. Shows you how inflated that chart is!

It's like living in a city verse a town or a tenement vs a luxury condo all depends on how you look at it.

Each resort is different and the constant comparing based solely on monies is ridiculous. Just be thankful your staying in Disney!

It's like living in a city verse a town or a tenement vs a luxury condo all depends on how you look at it.

Each resort is different and the constant comparing based solely on monies is ridiculous. Just be thankful your staying in Disney!

i, for one, like to read over my original-14 DVC contracts and point charts every night, after a long day at the parks, to lull myself to sleep! never riviera!!!!!!!!

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.
The price for an AP 30 years ago was $180.

You would have told someone the same exact thing if they told you an AP would be $1,125 in 30 years.

Inflation is a thing.

You would have told someone the same exact thing if they told you an AP would be $1,125 in 30 years.

Inflation is a thing.

I was more referring to the starting value, the rack rate of over $700 for a RIV studio. But hey, if it makes that DVC math work!

That number is reasonable at Poly/VGF, which has wings that sell at that price. RIV has a wing called CB that doesn't top $400.

Supply and demand right now. There are very few resale contracts available and it's cheaper than buying direct.

Personally, I would buy elsewhere at that price but that's my choice. I also don't have 1,000 points to use at other resorts to I need my points to be versatile. :-)

5 -- Riviera is the only DVC on the skyliner. And its contract is much longer than any of the other Epcot area resorts.
Boardwalk and Beach Club don't count as being on the skyliner?

I was more referring to the starting value, the rack rate of over $700 for a RIV studio. But hey, if it makes that DVC math work!

That number is reasonable at Poly/VGF, which has wings that sell at that price. RIV has a wing called CB that doesn't top $400.

Attachments

• CD7BC923-D7D2-40BE-B673-F0DDDD82C2A5.png
    CD7BC923-D7D2-40BE-B673-F0DDDD82C2A5.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 51
Yes, I understand that is the published rack rate and why the timeshare math works. That doesn’t mean anyone is paying that.

Supply and demand right now. There are very few resale contracts available and it's cheaper than buying direct.

Personally, I would buy elsewhere at that price but that's my choice. I also don't have 1,000 points to use at other resorts to I need my points to be versatile. :-)

Boardwalk and Beach Club don't count as being on the skyliner?

Not really. Argument could be made for Beach Club, not really Boardwalk. Though I guess I’d ask in practice— for those who have stayed at BWV since the Skyliner opened, do you take the boat to DHS, walk, or walk to Epcot in order to hop on the skyliner?

Not really. Argument could be made for Beach Club, not really Boardwalk. Though I guess I’d ask in practice— for those who have stayed at BWV since the Skyliner opened, do you take the boat to DHS, walk, or walk to Epcot in order to hop on the skyliner?

Unless your just going for a ride on the skyliner the boat from BWV is a much better way to get to HS so I wouldn't consider it a skyliner resort per say.

One of the reasons that BCV has become a better resort for us over BWV is because most of the guests I take now can not do the walks and for DHS, if it much faster to get to the Skyliner than even the BCV boat dock,

If we had to stay at BWV, then the guests would be forced to do the boat or, if they have a scooter, use the walking path.

ETA: Of course, first choice is RIV for Epcot area but if thst can’t be booked, BCV is next up!

Last edited:
One of the reasons that BCV has become a better resort for us over BWV is because most of the guests I take now can not do the walks and for DHS, if it much faster to get to the Skyliner than even the BCV boat dock,

If we had to stay at BWV, then the guests would be forced to do the boat or, if they have a scooter, use the walking path.

ETA: Of course, first choice is RIV for Epcot area but if thst can’t be booked, BCV is next up!

Excellent point. Partially dependent on room location, but yes -- Skyliner seems very practical from Beach Club, not really from Boardwalk.

For walking access to the parks, Boardwalk is probably still the best option: A reasonable walk to both Epcot and DHS. Though neither is a super short walk, again depending on room location partially.
For Epcot access alone -- Beach Club is the best choice, as it really is a short walk to the IG. While Skyliner from IG may be better than the boat dock, it's still not exactly ideal transportation -- In most cases, still probably over 30 minutes door to door. (putting aside wait times, about 7 minute walk to skyliner, 15 minutes to CBR on skyliner, at least 2-3 minutes to transfer minimum, 6 minutes to DHS... so minimum of 30 minutes.)
For DHS access alone: For walkers, BWV. But if you don't want a 15 minute walk, then Riviera is preferable.
For best non-walking access to both parks: Riviera. Might actually be slower than simply walking from Boardwalk, but it's faster to DHS than boats. (RIV skyliner: 9 minute direct to Epcot, about 15-20 minutes to DHS with transfer included).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!