Riviera allowing ALL DVC guest?

4ParkFamily

Mouseketeer
Just got our welcome home letter and DVC magnet from out resale purchase and our letter states that "This includes access to ALL of our distinctively themed Disney vacation club resorts and thousands of our other resorts around the world through exchanges with RCI, as well as select member offerings noted on your membership identification" I might be taking this the wrong way but in ALL it seems to me that it includes Riviera resort. Makes since considering how low sales are and the stale on Reflections but one can hope!

I have not heard anything of a change.

I think if this change were Happening, it would be sent to all DVC members as an update.

They do this in lots of places to make you seem you get something but you don't if your resale.

Is Riviera going to be part of RCI? Could someone get in that way who was only resale? I think I heard that you have to not have an Orlando timeshare to swap, so maybe a Hilton Head or Vero could be swapped via RCI into Riviera if they participate. Anyone know?

Presently, DVC cannot exchange back into DVC through RCI.

Eventually, RIV will be added to the RCI directory. And someday, long after that, RIV inventory will actually be bookable through RCI (or another exchange company, should DVC again switch partners down the road). When these happen, it will likely be better to have a strong non-DVC trader, than to own resale DVC, if you hope to snag a reservation at RIV.

Presently, DVC cannot exchange back into DVC through RCI.

Eventually, RIV will be added to the RCI directory. And someday, long after that, RIV inventory will actually be bookable through RCI (or another exchange company, should DVC again switch partners down the road). When these happen, it will likely be better to have a strong non-DVC trader, than to own resale DVC, if you hope to snag a reservation at RIV.

Are not all resorts in your example not in RCI then though? The word on the street is that SSR once and a while and AKV rarely come up but that is pretty much it. Its not like you are in RCI and randomly choose to just book what you wish.

Are not all resorts in your example not in RCI then though? The word on the street is that SSR once and a while and AKV rarely come up but that is pretty much it. Its not like you are in RCI and randomly choose to just book what you wish.
I don't believe I either gave or cited an 'example.' What I attempted was to separate "listing in the RCI directory" from posting "available inventory." Presently, all the DVC locations shy of Copper Creek and Riviera are listed in RCI's Directory; RCI members outside of the DVC<>RCI relationship may open searches requesting any of these resorts.

But having inventory is different. As you said, most of the DVC inventory in RCI in recent years has been SSR with a few sightings of AKL, OKW and AUL (very rare).

It won't be too far out before RIV shows up in the RCI Directory. And, yes, someday I expect to find inventory as well. But the inventory will not, under the current DVC<>RCI agreement, show up for other DVC members. It will, rather, appear to outsiders who have strong traders or those whose non-DVC timeshare have special, exclusive agreements such as currently enjoyed by Welk timeshare owners.

BUT the main point I was attempting to make: Yes, RIV will eventually show up in the RCI directory but don't expect to exchange into it using resale-DVC. This route is, under present agreement, 100% blocked. However, sometime in the distant future when RIV inventory starts showing up ... you may hope to catch it using a strong non-DVC property.

====
Just for background: I've owned non-DVC timeshare for 20 years and have completed many exchanges into DVC properties including BWV at least 6 times, Vero Beach, Saratoga, etc. I enjoyed two full week exchanges into SSR last summer (2019) against other, non-DVC, properties, each timed to overlap with different DVC Moonlight Magic events.

Last edited:
Just for background: I've owned non-DVC timeshare for 20 years and have completed many exchanges into DVC properties including BWV at least 6 times, Vero Beach, Saratoga, etc. I enjoyed two full week exchanges into SSR last summer (2019) against other, non-DVC, properties, each timed to overlap with different DVC Moonlight Magic events.

Wow first I heard of that. Thanks for the context.

For the BWV stays were they years ago when DVC was a little more limited? Or were they more recent?

I wouldn't ever buy RCI but first I ever heard of non-SSR/AKV going through RCI.

Wow first I heard of that. Thanks for the context.

For the BWV stays were they years ago when DVC was a little more limited? Or were they more recent?

I wouldn't ever buy RCI but first I ever heard of non-SSR/AKV going through RCI.
My exchanges into BWV started in 2004 and continued for most years following until 2009'ish. I was very picky: the resort must be BWV, the week must line up with a major IBM event held at Dolphin/Swan/etc (generally the 3rd week of January) and the unit must be 1BR or later. Some years we booked two units and at least once were given a 2BR. Whee!

The game of timesharing evolves and changes over time. Just when you get really good at it, the rules change and we all start over, to some degree, as we adapt. When I first started, DVC exchanged through II, not RCI. There was a major uproar when DVC switched to RCI (or was it 'returned' to RCI?). But, over the years, I've come to see it as an ever-evolving game. Nothing stays the same for long. Stick with and learn to play the game to your advantage over and over and over.

On your last line, one doesn't generally "buy RCI." One purchases either a resort property or club that is affiliated with RCI. I would hope there are certain strengths for the specific purchase on its own merit ... and certain strengths/advantages to be gained from its RCI relationship.

certain strengths/advantages to be gained from its RCI relationship.

Oh no doubt some people gain from the ability. For me though I stick to Airbnb typically if not traveling to WDW or my extensive travel with work (which is done through concur).

I bought late 2019, and never got anything in the mail. So maybe they like your points more than mine... hahahah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter