Rivers of Light Opening Date Announced; Dining Package Details Released

Alright everyone. Get ready for my review!

On my 5th trip now since last May when Rivers of Light was supposed to debut, I have finally been able to see it.

Pre-show: I love the atmosphere with the music, and the projections/lasers on the trees on the other side of the water. It definitely sets the mood for the show. The only strange part was, when the lotus floats started moving to the center, everyone around me thought the show was starting. In a way, it kinda already has, but the "real" show still starts at the posted time.

Show: There is something about this music score that just keeps me listening to it over and over again. I think the music is absolutely fabulous. The show definitely suits Animal Kingdom really well. My only complaint is that it basically is a water projection show with a lot less fountains than World of Color. However, the way they use the fountains, I really do enjoy it. I think the live performers on the boats are a great touch! The animal floats are purely stunning in my mind. Rivers of Light is a show that has to be seen in person. I don't think any video can do it justice. It definitely has the "kiss goodnight" feel for Animal Kingdom. In my mind, I would give it an 8/10, because there is just something else that I feel needs to be out on the water. I look forward to seeing it again this week though.

*In other news* I once talked to a Shop Parks App CM on the phone inquiring about the Rivers of Light Soundtrack. That CM told me that they were selling it in the parks. However, that is not the case. A CM in the park tonight told me that the soundtrack was made for the longer show, and the plan right now is to not release it. If that is the case, that makes me sad, because I would love to listen to the music over and over again!

Thanks!

There is going to be a longer show?

Were you using a dining package, a fastpass or standby? What was your experience there (view, time waited) and your recommendation for others (which to select, when you should arrive)?

Thanks!

There is going to be a longer show?

Were you using a dining package, a fastpass or standby? What was your experience there (view, time waited) and your recommendation for others (which to select, when you should arrive)?

There "was" going to be a longer show. The show was originally supposed to be 20+ minutes, but now it is around 15 minutes. Sections of the "original" show got cut due to technical reasons. At least that is what people think.

I used the dining package. I ate at Tusker House this time. Personally, I always feel like dining packages are the way to go, but that is just me. I flew in today, so I was taking my day easy. I showed up at the dining package viewing about 50 minutes until show time, and I had any seat that I basically wanted in the DP seating area. The DP area started filling up about 35 minutes before. Stand-by looked full at 50 minutes until showtime, and Fastpass looked half full at that point as well. I have a fastpass for it on Tuesday, so I can update you more on that then. If you want good seats for any show, I always recommend an hour in advance even with a dining package.

Thanks for all the detail! I'm excited that the Tusker RoL opened for our visit since we're hitting AK in one day (our first time too). Thanks for the offer for more detail on Tuesday. I'm sure everyone would enjoy more of a sense on how the seating compares for each section and if people get turned away who go standby, as I would.

There "was" going to be a longer show. The show was originally supposed to be 20+ minutes, but now it is around 15 minutes. Sections of the "original" show got cut due to technical reasons. At least that is what people think.

I used the dining package. I ate at Tusker House this time. Personally, I always feel like dining packages are the way to go, but that is just me. I flew in today, so I was taking my day easy. I showed up at the dining package viewing about 50 minutes until show time, and I had any seat that I basically wanted in the DP seating area. The DP area started filling up about 35 minutes before. Stand-by looked full at 50 minutes until showtime, and Fastpass looked half full at that point as well. I have a fastpass for it on Tuesday, so I can update you more on that then. If you want good seats for any show, I always recommend an hour in advance even with a dining package.
Is the ROL Dining package part of the dining plan?

I don't have a dining plan, but I'm pretty sure I saw when I booked my Tusker that it said 1 credit.

It looks like they haven't yet updated dining reservations or park times. For example, on 4/6, the park closes at 9:30, but the second show is 10 PM and the latest reservations for dining packages are still the same as before.

It looks like they haven't yet updated dining reservations or park times. For example, on 4/6, the park closes at 9:30, but the second show is 10 PM and the latest reservations for dining packages are still the same as before.

Sometimes DCA closes at 10 and there is a 10:15 showing of World of Color. I wonder if they may be using a similar scheduling system? Or not.....:idea:

When RoL was announced with actual dates, AK was closing at 7 PM yet you could see that the event was 8:45. A couple days later they extended the park hours. I suppose they could do something I think that is unprecedented and have it like magic hours and close everything but RoL.

Rivers of Light Review
Date: 3/7/2017
Start time: 7:15 p.m.

1 show (one of the last times before going to 2 shows a night.)

5:00 p.m: Probably about 20 people already in line for Rivers of Light fastpass sections.

6:00 p.m: While walking to use a fastpass for Kali River Rapids, the stand-by line was being let in, but the line went all the way to the Mickey & Minnie Meet and Greet on Discovery Island (past Flametree BBQ). While getting closer to the ride, I noticed that only the first fastpass section (2nd closest section to the theater center on that side) was the only section full.

6:20 p.m: When I entered the fastpass viewing area, the first and second sections were basically full. I'm traveling solo, so I was able to get one of the last spots in the second fastpass viewing section (3rd section away from the center) before they started loading the 3rd viewing area.

6:35 p.m: Third fastpass viewing area full and started loading the last fastpass viewing area. The lights for the trees on the other side of the theater turned on. Stand-by sections were full by this point.

6:52 p.m: Pre-show music starts/Pre-show begins. Dining viewing full by this point.

6:55 p.m. Final fastpass viewing section (edge of theater) is full.

7:04 p.m: Lotus floats turn on and start moving to the center of the water.

7:15 p.m: Show begins.

7:30 p.m: Show ends.

Review: I'm going to say some things differently from my review on Sunday. On Sunday, for about half of it, I had my face in a camera making sure I was capturing great angles of the show. Tonight, I decided to watch the show without technology. I'm going to say that I'm going away from the "kiss goodnight" feel of the show. Rivers of Light is beautiful. This show has some really great moments to it that I am now saying that this is my 2nd favorite nighttime show at WDW (My favorite is still Illuminations)! The fountains are beautifully choreographed to the music. I still think the music is stunning. The finale is beautiful. I think the actors on the boats need to get some credit. They acted really well, and I really liked watching their performance. I will now rate it a 9/10, because I still hope Disney will add something to the show.

My preferred view: I would try and sit as close to the center of the theater as you can. I was sitting in the 2nd fastpass viewing section (3rd section on that side of the theater), and some of the views seemed strange and not centered to me. Still a great view though! I wouldn't want to go any farther in the theater than where I was. For that reason, I will say the dining package is the best view, because I slightly think the water screens were clearer from that section of the theater.

This is a great detailed review. Thanks for sharing!

It sounds like at least until the show isn't new, the standby is going to be hard to get and have any view at all without waiting a long time.

Rivers of Light Review
Date: 3/7/2017
Start time: 7:15 p.m.

1 show (one of the last times before going to 2 shows a night.)

5:00 p.m: Probably about 20 people already in line for Rivers of Light fastpass sections.

6:00 p.m: While walking to use a fastpass for Kali River Rapids, the stand-by line was being let in, but the line went all the way to the Mickey & Minnie Meet and Greet on Discovery Island (past Flametree BBQ). While getting closer to the ride, I noticed that only the first fastpass section (2nd closest section to the theater center on that side) was the only section full.

6:20 p.m: When I entered the fastpass viewing area, the first and second sections were basically full. I'm traveling solo, so I was able to get one of the last spots in the second fastpass viewing section (3rd section away from the center) before they started loading the 3rd viewing area.

6:35 p.m: Third fastpass viewing area full and started loading the last fastpass viewing area. The lights for the trees on the other side of the theater turned on. Stand-by sections were full by this point.

6:52 p.m: Pre-show music starts/Pre-show begins. Dining viewing full by this point.

6:55 p.m. Final fastpass viewing section (edge of theater) is full.

7:04 p.m: Lotus floats turn on and start moving to the center of the water.

7:15 p.m: Show begins.

7:30 p.m: Show ends.

Review: I'm going to say some things differently from my review on Sunday. On Sunday, for about half of it, I had my face in a camera making sure I was capturing great angles of the show. Tonight, I decided to watch the show without technology. I'm going to say that I'm going away from the "kiss goodnight" feel of the show. Rivers of Light is beautiful. This show has some really great moments to it that I am now saying that this is my 2nd favorite nighttime show at WDW (My favorite is still Illuminations)! The fountains are beautifully choreographed to the music. I still think the music is stunning. The finale is beautiful. I think the actors on the boats need to get some credit. They acted really well, and I really liked watching their performance. I will now rate it a 9/10, because I still hope Disney will add something to the show.

My preferred view: I would try and sit as close to the center of the theater as you can. I was sitting in the 2nd fastpass viewing section (3rd section on that side of the theater), and some of the views seemed strange and not centered to me. Still a great view though! I wouldn't want to go any farther in the theater than where I was. For that reason, I will say the dining package is the best view, because I slightly think the water screens were clearer from that section of the theater.

thank you for this great review. we are scheduled to see this show with the dining package. i know you were probably more closely watching the fp section, but any thoughts on when to arrive for dining package seating in order for 2 people to get a good view? would you say 6:15? any advice would be appreciated : )

thank you for this great review. we are scheduled to see this show with the dining package. i know you were probably more closely watching the fp section, but any thoughts on when to arrive for dining package seating in order for 2 people to get a good view? would you say 6:15? any advice would be appreciated : )
6:15 p.m. would be perfect. I believe that's when I arrived when I used the DP this past Sunday. I basically had any seat to myself, and the DP seating looked similar when I arrived to the fastpass section on Tuesday. Have fun and enjoy the show!

6:15 p.m. would be perfect. I believe that's when I arrived when I used the DP this past Sunday. I basically had any seat to myself, and the DP seating looked similar when I arrived to the fastpass section on Tuesday. Have fun and enjoy the show!
thank you so much for this info! we are excited to see this show : )

WDW Prep School just posted this great guide here with the following picture:
17309834_1316196325085316_6457879395169374882_n.png

so confused. i booked a rol dining package which stated the time of our show at 7:15, but now when i look at the wdw calendar, it says the first show is 8:45. now there are 4 hours between our meal and the show instead of 2 and a half hours. when did this change? how did i miss this?

so confused. i booked a rol dining package which stated the time of our show at 7:15, but now when i look at the wdw calendar, it says the first show is 8:45. now there are 4 hours between our meal and the show instead of 2 and a half hours. when did this change? how did i miss this?
When is your reservation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter