River Cruise Questions

amberwc

Mouseketeer
Thinking about the Danube in 2018. We are a family of 4, but I see very few adjoining rooms. Kids will be 9 & 7 at the time, how do they handle this?
Also, laundry? Wash in the sink what's needed? I assume dinner's are not formal?

I'm sure a family can chime in with what they did but on the diagram of the AmaViola there are some rooms which "can become connecting" in the BB and BA levels. For our Holiday trip we just booked 2 Ds (not connecting). I'd think with younger ones you would want connecting, however.

I sent out laundry and it was fairly reasonable and returned promptly. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and it counted toward my travel credit so I was happy :) This year I'll wash even more I'm sure! The charges were in Euro, though, so be aware if you charge to a card that doesn't waive overseas fees.

The only night we dressed up was for the upstairs dining meal. Everything else was what I consider "cruise casual."

Thinking about the Danube in 2018. We are a family of 4, but I see very few adjoining rooms. Kids will be 9 & 7 at the time, how do they handle this?

If you are able to get adjoining rooms here's a video that shows what they look like on the Amaviola.

I sent out laundry and it was fairly reasonable and returned promptly. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and it counted toward my travel credit so I was happy :) This year I'll wash even more I'm sure! The charges were in Euro, though, so be aware if you charge to a card that doesn't waive overseas fees.

I love that card so much!

Also, laundry? Wash in the sink what's needed? I assume dinner's are not formal?
I used the ship's laundry multiple times (I got ink on my T-shirt, spilled iced tea on myself, and just sweated a lot a couple of days! :) ) They were amazingly fast, and extremely reasonably priced. I highly recommend it!.

No formal night. Dinner is cruise casual, and the dinner at the Chef's Table is dressy but not formal.

Sayhello

We booked a triple room for this coming June. If you require adjoining rooms you should firm up your dates and put a deposit on the cruise. The triples and connecting rooms were the first to sell out since they don't have many on the ship.

HTH :)

I used the ship's laundry multiple times (I got ink on my T-shirt, spilled iced tea on myself, and just sweated a lot a couple of days! :) ) They were amazingly fast, and extremely reasonably priced. I highly recommend it!.

Awesome! Can you pay with a credit card?

Awesome! Can you pay with a credit card?

When we came aboard and received our room keys we placed a credit card on our account (similar to DCL). Onboard charges were then put on this. I used my CSR and since it was late December when we checked out, showed up on our Jan statement and credited back as travel. Sweet!

When we came aboard and received our room keys we placed a credit card on our account (similar to DCL). Onboard charges were then put on this. I used my CSR and since it was late December when we checked out, showed up on our Jan statement and credited back as travel. Sweet!

That makes things convenient. Thanks for the info!

Awesome tips....I have the CSR card and booked my trip with it and will definitely put on file for the river cruise. Did anyone buy the travel insurance through ABD or just use the insurance offered by the Chase Card?

MJ

Awesome tips....I have the CSR card and booked my trip with it and will definitely put on file for the river cruise. Did anyone buy the travel insurance through ABD or just use the insurance offered by the Chase Card?

MJ
I actually bought 3rd party insurance from an outside insurance company. (For my River cruise it was with Travel Insured). This was before I got the CSR Card. I'm evaluating the card's policy. I'm mostly worried about no pre-existing condition waiver... Other than that, it looks like good coverage. Sadly, the ABD policy is not so good any more, and not a very good deal.

Sayhello

When you get to a new city do they point you to where a legit ATM is? I hate carrying cash and pretty much have no idea how much I should have on me.

When you get to a new city do they point you to where a legit ATM is? I hate carrying cash and pretty much have no idea how much I should have on me.
The ABD Guides will absolutely do that if you ask. (And most of them will do it in the last city, as they know a lot of folks want to hit the ATM for their tips). Or you could also ask your Hotel Concierge.

Sayhello

The ABD Guides will absolutely do that if you ask. (And most of them will do it in the last city, as they know a lot of folks want to hit the ATM for their tips). Or you could also ask your Hotel Concierge.

That's good to know! Thanks for the info.

We are taking the Danube river cruise in July 2017 and we are new to river cruising any suggestions

Is there formal dressing on the cruise or casual?

The nights we dined in the main dining room we were what I'd call cruise casual-either a skirt or jeans. The night we dined in the Chef's Table we dressed up a bit more-dress for me and jacket/slacks (but no tie sigh) for DH.

Is there formal dressing on the cruise or casual?
As @tink1970 said, the dinners in the main dining room are "cruise casual" (although one day, we got back so late, most people went straight to dinner in what they were wearing and nobody cared). You have one night at their specialty restaurant, the Chef's Table (included in your cruse fare, no extra charge) and that is "nice clothing", dressy, but not formal.

Sayhello

Can someone tell me what the "late night snacks" are I see listed that Amawaterways puts out around 10pm? I'm just curious.

Sayhello

Did you tip any of the guides on the river cruise? I wasn't planning on it. I was going to take a small gift for Betti because we had her before and she is WONDERFUL, but wasn't planning on giving out any cash at the end (unless of course one of the guides was truly above and beyond, blow your mind, exceedingly exceptional).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter