River Country Today

Discussion in 'Camping at Disney World' started by Teamubr, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Teamubr

Teamubr Formerly racing around the country.

2. FtW Mike

FtW Mike DIS Veteran

Teamub Thanks for trip doing memory lane I loved River Country and really miss it

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. tiggerdad

tiggerdad I don't always get distracted but whe...SQUIRREL!

Great post man. I always make it a point to go over to the edge of the green fence each visit and climb up on a rock and take a look at the old pool. Here are a few pics I've snapped over the years. Again, all of these were taken from the Fort side of the fence. I've never been willing to risk crossing the fence and getting in trouble.

IMG_6423a.jpg

IMG_6424a.jpg

IMG_6427a.jpg

IMG_6434a.jpg

IMG_6435a.jpg

IMG_6437a.jpg

I'm not sure, but I would guess that the three squares of newer concrete are probably where 3 showers were at for washing sand off your feet. This is right outside the restroom that once serviced River Country and now services Mickey's Backyard BBQ.
    IMG_0129a.jpg

While I am sad it is gone, because it would be great for us Fort goers to enjoy, I understand why it was shut down. At first I felt it wrong for Disney to just let it rot. I used to think tearing it down was a better option. However, every single time I see some pics from inside and showing how it is being reclaimed I find myself liking the idea of allowing nature to take it back.

Gillyrose779 likes this.
  5. snowmedic

snowmedic 1500 MIles From the Fort.

Here is one that I took back in March when there. fort pics 3-19 055 copy.jpg

6. beccasmom

beccasmom DIS Veteran

Great pictures, thank you! We had some wonderful times there and it holds a special place in my heart.

7. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

Guess I feel different than you, tiggerdad! It just makes us sad to see it ever so slowly deteriorating. We have such happy memories there with our children, and it's down right scary looking to see it now - and know we were 'right there'! :sad2: Would much rather they had torn it down, then we wouldn't have to see the 'slow death' every time we get on the boat. :(

8. 2goofycampers

2goofycampers Sounds like something a camping trip could cure! Moderator

I wish they had refurbished and kept it as a 3rd pool for The Fort.

DoryGirl1963 likes this.
  9. TXWAC

TXWAC Always planning the next vacation

Is it like a conservation thing? Not tearing down River Country and the island?

Too much $ to do it the way they wouldn't get fined?

10. tiggerdad

tiggerdad I don't always get distracted but whe...SQUIRREL!

It would just cost money which they were not willing to spend I figure. Also, if you want something covered up, what better way to do it than to let Mother Nature take care of it? If they had bulldozed it it would have taken longer to grow over. I figure they have plans for that location somewhere down the road and didn't want to spend the money to clear it until they knew they were ready to develop it at the same time.

11. Badger88

Badger88 Earning My Ears

Great share Teamub. Thanks.

Teamubr likes this.
  12. peg110

peg110 DIS Veteran

Never been there. Never knew it was there until this thread. Now, I think I might try to sneak a peak when I am down there in August.

I will say that the pictures are eerily beautiful.

13. Kidatheart2010

Kidatheart2010 Mouseketeer

Did anyone ever get to walk around the wooden walking path that was over the water going towards River Country??? We started going to the fort in the late 90's and never had a chance...

20 Days till we are back....

14. Kidatheart2010

Here is one from the waterside. Its faded quite a bit since this was taken...... P1030191_1024.jpg

15. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

Yes, we went to RC many times 'in the day'!! To us, it was really beautiful then - walked all around the area. Was a great small water park, and I don't remember it being super crowded. Was very open looking out on the lake. Now, it just looks disgustingly spooky!! :sad1:

16. SamRoc

SamRoc DIS Veteran

We had wonderful times there too! It was such a great place, wasn't too big and we always had fun.

17. 2goofycampers

2goofycampers Sounds like something a camping trip could cure! Moderator

We only went there once. The small water slides were just my speed. :) It just happened it closed soon after that.

18. SamRoc

SamRoc DIS Veteran

I follow a page on facebook called Abandoned World and they had a story about River Country today and posted this picture.

13051625_584809438367348_1242200453280903010_n.jpg

19. Kidatheart2010

Me and the DW are going to ride the bikes over and see whats left when we go the first week in May.
    Here is another pic from the water view. 100_6184_1024.jpg

jeffrey1966 likes this.
  20. God Of Thunder

God Of Thunder Earning My Ears

Can anyone tell me how to get to this spot (legally) to get a glimpse of this park? I’d love to take a took “over the fence” before they start ripping the park down. Thanks!!

21. Corgidad

Corgidad Mouseketeer

You can not, there are NO TRESPASSING signs at every point when you get anywhere close to RC. What I have heard if anyone is caught in or near RC will be trespassed from Disney property.