RIV Dec use year - am I missing something?

mousemagic00

Earning My Ears
We are looking at RIV, we really believe it will be special and we are going to hope nothing happens to make us have to sell (because of the resale restrictions). Risky, but we don’t own direct and we do want the blue card.

Our guide keeps highlighting the fact that RIV will give a Dec UY as a positive.

Am I missing something with Dec as a good UY, over Aug?

I'd guess that what is missing is your guide either isn't 100% clear on the system (they do get new guides who aren't) or they are being encouraged to sell Dec.

No, no benefit to Dec vs August. All the UY's etc. Feb are starting with 2019 points for Riviera. Feb starts with 2020 points. Now if you were looking at a different resort and not Riviera then Dec is still in it's 2018 UY and you'd receive those points and be able to bank them even though your past the banking deadline and then you'd have the 2019 points too. August UY has already hit the 2019 UY mark so no 2018 points. So the other possibility is the guide is thinking of other resorts, not Riviera for the Dec UY.

DVC does sell points to all the resorts if you are worried about Riviera and the potential impact of resale restrictions later if you needed to sell. All other resorts have resale restrictions of some sort too but they at least allow you to trade into all the currently existing resorts and aren't as limiting as Riviera.

As RR opens in 2019 there are no 2018 points available. 2019 points are only available after the Feb UY as all Feb UY are 2020 points only.

We were told they were selling Dec UY but we wanted June. The guide just got permission to do this. As RR opens on Dec 16th you will only pay dues for 16-31st regardless of UY.

There’s some excellent guidance on these forums on the right UY. I think Aug UY is recommend if you typically travel in August but no later than March so you have the ability to bank points if you have to cancel.

Good luck!

Do you already own points with and Aug use year? When do you typically travel?

I would want points in the same UY as other contracts. I know some people
Have multiple buy it seems like a hassle.

When you travel is also important. If you travel in Oct and Nov them Aug would be much better than Dec.

Guide is probably referring to the fact that Dec will get 2018 points now that they can bank, and 2019 points Dec 1. SO for all practical purposes having more points for use Dec 1, 2019 to Nov 30, 2020. Which can be of benefit to someone purchasing right now, August will be in it's 2019 use year. If you are already an owner, though, I definitely stay with one use year and not manage 2 DVC accounts. My life is complicated enough.

I personally wouldn't care for a December use year, not that there is anything specifically wrong with them, but it would be weird to me to have your use year almost a year off from calendar year. But functionally, it is the same as any other use year, no specific advantages or disadvantage to any other use year.

If you really like the Riviera rooms and location, go for it, even with the resale restrictions. I love having my 11 month advantage at OKW, even though that may not be as popular as other resorts, because I love staying at OKW. I still think the best strategy is to buy at the home resort you'll want to stay at most often for that 11 month booking window. And it will be especially important for studio people, since studios do tend to book up first at every resort. The restrictions will only really affect you if you sell, and so far, I don't think we know what overall effect that will be.

Guide is probably referring to the fact that Dec will get 2018 points now that they can bank, and 2019 points Dec 1. SO for all practical purposes having more points for use Dec 1, 2019 to Nov 30, 2020. Which can be of benefit to someone purchasing right now, August will be in it's 2019 use year. If you are already an owner, though, I definitely stay with one use year and not manage 2 DVC accounts. My life is complicated enough.

I personally wouldn't care for a December use year, not that there is anything specifically wrong with them, but it would be weird to me to have your use year almost a year off from calendar year. But functionally, it is the same as any other use year, no specific advantages or disadvantage to any other use year.

If you really like the Riviera rooms and location, go for it, even with the resale restrictions. I love having my 11 month advantage at OKW, even though that may not be as popular as other resorts, because I love staying at OKW. I still think the best strategy is to buy at the home resort you'll want to stay at most often for that 11 month booking window. And it will be especially important for studio people, since studios do tend to book up first at every resort. The restrictions will only really affect you if you sell, and so far, I don't think we know what overall effect that will be.

No UY gets 2018 points at Riviera.

No UY gets 2018 points at Riviera.
Oh, that's right. I forgot about that. So, no there is no advantage at all. So if you/'re an existing member, I'd want to stay with the same use year. If you're going to be a new member, a December use year is just like any other.

I will say I have been very happy with a Feb UY so far. It makes planning pretty easy since most of the months fall in they calendar year they are for.

Okay so if I go with Dec UY at RIV, I’m getting 2019 points this Dec...those I can use to book during 2020. Then I get 2020 points next Dec (Dec 2020), that are good for booking Dec 20-Nov 30 20? (Unless I bank)

Dec 2019 points can be used to book stays December 1, 2019 (or when the resort opens) to Nov 30, 2020. If the are banked, they will be good for stays December 1, 2020 to November 30, 2021, just like your December 2020 points. Remember that stays at RIV (other than initial resort opening year) can be booked 11 month in advance, So you can book a December 2020 stay, using your December 2020 points, beginning January 2020. Stays at other resorts using your RIV December 2020 points for December 2020, can be booked in May of 2020, 11 or 7 months to the day prior to the start date of the reservation.

Okay so if I go with Dec UY at RIV, I’m getting 2019 points this Dec...those I can use to book during 2020. Then I get 2020 points next Dec (Dec 2020), that are good for booking Dec 20-Nov 30 20? (Unless I bank)

Correct except 2020 points are good 12/1/20-11/30/21 unless banked or borrowed although I think that’s what you meant instead of Nov 30, 20.
Really, pick a UY that is good for your travel. They have them all to sell at Riviera. Because every UY at Riviera is starting with 2019 points there’s no purchase benefit to any over the other so don’t let the guide force you to something especially since what he said made no sense. Actually, Dec is probably the worst to buy for anyone unless your planning to travel in Dec or early in the calendar year most o the time. If not then it’s worse because it’s going to be the longest to get the next years points.

So when is your normal time to travel?

We are looking at RIV, we really believe it will be special and we are going to hope nothing happens to make us have to sell (because of the resale restrictions). Risky, but we don’t own direct and we do want the blue card.

Our guide keeps highlighting the fact that RIV will give a Dec UY as a positive.

Am I missing something with Dec as a good UY, over Aug?
When do you normally travel? Maybe your guide said Dec UY is better based on your typical travel dates.

While the kid is still in high school, Feb is our likely travel.

Prior to now, we used to travel at odd times. We’ve done Sept, Oct, Nov, March and June.

Once she is in college, I can see us going back to flexible travel, especially when we end up empty nesters.

Since I first posted, we are actually thinking of getting a preferred week, which if we grab one to include NYE almost forces the Dec UY

You can also get any UY no matter the fixed week is - just an fyi if you weren’t aware. August is certainly better for the Sept- Nov travel if you go back to that and it covers the Feb and March to cancel and still be in your banking deadline. That just leaves June.

For February travel, both UYs are equally good.

But based on the rest of your previous travel patterns, August UY sounds better. That June stay would in be a "risk" month since it's after the banking deadline but the other months would be good for an August UY.

With a December UY, stays in Aug-Nov are higher risks since they're after the banking deadline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter