Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people loading the app so close to 8? I think that's just paranoia to think that makes a difference. It's doing more talk back and forth to the servers at loading, and if everyone is doing that, it's going to be slower and could cost you a BG.

It's not opening, so much as resuming. At least in my case I suspended the app, did not kill it...

The reason for all of these various approaches is simply to get the app to re-check if it can join boarding groups as soon as possible once the time has past. Resuming an app probably has it going to update some data. I know for sure that just going in and out of the Find Out More screen does not refresh the data with every back and forth. This is also why using "My Status" on the Find Out More screen works for a lot of people, because that seems to also trigger a refresh and offers the same potentially red button - so if you went in a little early My Status is a good second attempt.

I totally agree it's not a great idea to be loading the app from scratch right at BG time (where you see the splash screen for a while and then the fireworks). At the time BG's are being released, that part is extra slow and you could be waiting 20-30 seconds or more for the app to load from scratch.

I do that like 15 mins ahead. Red button always comes up. I really don't do anything special. I still say it's the PING to the server that matters more than having super speed. Plus I've had multiple phone types (older iphone 5s and my newer Xs Max) and both seem to work just fine.

The latency to the server is important also, but not as important as just getting the app into a state where it know it's OK to let you join a boarding group. If you have found an approach that works for you every time, that is great! For me the only consistent results I had in the park, was having the app suspended, re-opening at a second until the time they were issuing boarding groups.

I have gathered from this thread that it is vitally important to have an exact timer so you know exactly when it hits 8/9/10AM when the park opens. If you launch the BG process too soon, you apparently get kind of locked out for awhile as you try to refresh and get the buttons to work. So that is bad.

I do not have an Apple Watch. Can one trust the time on one's phone? Or is a special app needed? (I have heard people using app/data from NIST). My iPhone shows a second hand on the Clock app on my home screen. I assume I can just use that, right? Or watch that until the last few seconds, and have an alarm on my phone for the exact right time, and be in the app when the alarm goes off and then off to the races. Right?

FWIW, I just brought up on my laptop www.time.gov from NIST and looked at its time, and compared that to my Clock app and it matched. So I guess I answered my own question that I can use the Clock app and my iPhone's displayed time.

These screen shots do not match below as they were taken a few minutes apart....but show what I was looking sat.

Clock app on iPhone 11 - the red line shows seconds
View attachment 468831

time.gov from NIST
View attachment 468832

I just installed an app on my phone called Atomic Clock.

Very slick experience through the queue and whole experience. About 40 mins from joining the queue to exiting I’d say.
Did as many advised, closed all apps around 8:58 and reloaded DL app. Hit find out more immediately at 9, hit my status and clicked through join boarding group and group members. Was stood on Main Street.

This cheat relies on the CMs not scanning everyone's boarding pass. I have been able to ride twice, and the CMs are scanning everyone's pass. I think this method only worked the first day.

Even the first day they were scanning my pass (and the second). I could say maybe there was some brief period where they were too busy to scan passes? But I don't think it was even a whole day. It sure seems like this was just an idea someone had. Given the risks of what Disney might do if they caught you, it sure seems like a bad idea to try...

It's not opening, so much as resuming. At least in my case I suspended the app, did not kill it...

The reason for all of these various approaches is simply to get the app to re-check if it can join boarding groups as soon as possible once the time has past. Resuming an app probably has it going to update some data. I know for sure that just going in and out of the Find Out More screen does not refresh the data with every back and forth. This is also why using "My Status" on the Find Out More screen works for a lot of people, because that seems to also trigger a refresh and offers the same potentially red button - so if you went in a little early My Status is a good second attempt.

I totally agree it's not a great idea to be loading the app from scratch right at BG time (where you see the splash screen for a while and then the fireworks). At the time BG's are being released, that part is extra slow and you could be waiting 20-30 seconds or more for the app to load from scratch.

The latency to the server is important also, but not as important as just getting the app into a state where it know it's OK to let you join a boarding group. If you have found an approach that works for you every time, that is great! For me the only consistent results I had in the park, was having the app suspended, re-opening at a second until the time they were issuing boarding groups.
By "suspended" I assume you mean you just have the app loaded?

Even the first day they were scanning my pass (and the second). I could say maybe there was some brief period where they were too busy to scan passes? But I don't think it was even a whole day. It sure seems like this was just an idea someone had. Given the risks of what Disney might do if they caught you, it sure seems like a bad idea to try...
Totally agree. It seems to me the penalty for failure is pretty big. Would they kick you out? Who knows, but wouldn't want to test it out. 🤣

We are planning an impromptu 2 day visit this Friday and Saturday for my daughter’s 21st birthday. We will get the Southern CA 3 day pass and stay at the Tropicana for 1 night.

1) Where does one enter security if staying at the Trop? I’ve only used the large parking structure in the past. My plan is to drop my daughter off as close to the park entrance as possible so she can get in line while I check-in and park at the Trop. We should arrive there at about 6:30 am.

2) This pass should allow us to enter the turnstiles like any other pass and not hold us up any. Is this correct?

3) From this thread, it sounds like we just start hitting the app and keep our fingers crossed for a BG. I have read several posts in this long thread, but not all, so I could have missed something.

Thank you all! It has been a long time since we have been to DL and we are SUPER excited! :-)

Disney's native apps are not of good quality. The issue is more apparent on Android version. Typically experiences should be identical on IOS and Android, but implementation wise, and because that Android and IOS provide APIs with sort of different philosophy, it is often the case that for the same app, IOS version behaves differently from Android version.
Specifically here is that Android version seems unable (or more precisely, it is hard to figure out what is the trigger) to update itself to the red button.

Why are people loading the app so close to 8? I think that's just paranoia to think that makes a difference. It's doing more talk back and forth to the servers at loading, and if everyone is doing that, it's going to be slower and could cost you a BG.

I do that like 15 mins ahead. Red button always comes up. I really don't do anything special. I still say it's the PING to the server that matters more than having super speed. Plus I've had multiple phone types (older iphone 5s and my newer Xs Max) and both seem to work just fine.

We are planning an impromptu 2 day visit this Friday and Saturday for my daughter’s 21st birthday. We will get the Southern CA 3 day pass and stay at the Tropicana for 1 night.

1) Where does one enter security if staying at the Trop? I’ve only used the large parking structure in the past. My plan is to drop my daughter off as close to the park entrance as possible so she can get in line while I check-in and park at the Trop. We should arrive there at about 6:30 am.

2) This pass should allow us to enter the turnstiles like any other pass and not hold us up any. Is this correct?

3) From this thread, it sounds like we just start hitting the app and keep our fingers crossed for a BG. I have read several posts in this long thread, but not all, so I could have missed something.

Thank you all! It has been a long time since we have been to DL and we are SUPER excited! :-)

Considering where the Tropicana is located, I wouldn't waste extra time using the passenger drop-off area at DL and having to maneuver through Anaheim traffic for additional valuable minutes. I would drive straight to the Tropicana. Your daughter can hop out of the car the moment you roll to a stop in the parking lot/check-in area and she can head to the parks while you get checked in. I would say the difference in the walk between that and the drop-off area for a young healthy person is at most 2 minutes.

Question, what’s given to people who aren’t selected? People I follow keep posting about the line at city hall but won’t say why they are there.

I appreciate those of you explaining the iPhone/Android app distinction. Just to clarify for those reading along, it seems like the need for very precise timing is mostly relevant for those using the Android app. Is that fair to say?

I (and most of my friends) have iPhones, but I do have an Android friend trying for a BG this Saturday, so I will pass along this info to her.

Question, what’s given to people who aren’t selected? People I follow keep posting about the line at city hall but won’t say why they are there.

Nothing official if you get a back up group and don't get called to ride or don't get a group at all. At most the people who really complain at GS MIGHT get a fp or two if GS is feeling generous but even that is doubtful.

There’s nothing standard. At the discretion of the CM you talk to, you can pretty regularly get something like some anytime FPs.

I do know one person who I trust who reported actually being given a BG after explaining a number of extenuating circumstances to a CM while her entire family was in tears... it was a complicated situation. I expect that sort of thing is very rare.

This was 5+ years ago, but one of my co-teachers spent a day at DCA and was all fired up about a bunch of ride breakdowns, poor CM behavior, etc. She went to guest services at the end of the day and got complimentary tickets to come back another day for her entire family of seven (including the grandparents)! Blew my mind. She could be... intense, but I never would have expected that they’d do that.

I would check with the Tropicana prior to arrival just to make sure they are cool with you coming that early and parking etc. Most of the hotels on Harbor don't do check in until afternoon. One year we stayed at the Best Western Park Place and they would not give us our parking permit until check in, so my family walked over while I parked at M&F. Assuming all is well there, you just cross the street by Captain Kidd's and go through security at the end of the Bus Drop off. I agree with the above person that you would be better served going straight to the Tropicana and not messing with the drop off.

On the SoCal pass, yes, you can use them at the turnstiles. They will likely ask for proof of residency to show you are eligible for the pass, but other than that you shouldn't be held up. Just have your Driver's License ready.

The proven method is to scan your tickets into the app, open the app a few minutes before opening (8AM in your case), and wait until opening to click the "find out more" button.

Have a great trip!

I appreciate those of you explaining the iPhone/Android app distinction. Just to clarify for those reading along, it seems like the need for very precise timing is mostly relevant for those using the Android app. Is that fair to say?

I (and most of my friends) have iPhones, but I do have an Android friend trying for a BG this Saturday, so I will pass along this info to her.
That's how it appears from this outsider looking in.

Cross the cross-walk at Harbor (in front of Captain Kidd's) and walk past the bus loading area.

This link may help: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=33.809495&lon=-117.918899&z=18&m=w

I don't know, but if there is a hold up it should be minor as long as you have all your ID ready upon request.

The last few pages of this thread give some precise advice based on Android or iPhones. This link may also help: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/star-wars-rise-resistance-disneyland-strategy-guide/

:wizard:

Thanks for the responses. This just seems like a mess to me. I feel for both the cms having to deal with something out of their control and the guest on their once in a lifetime trip to DL. Hopefully it gets better.

You are all beyond helpful and deserve lots of pixie dust!

One more question: Should I purchase our tickets through the DL app on my phone? Does that buy me anything? Or could this hold us up? Would it be better for each of us to have something separate to scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter