RIP - Tarp Man

clkelley

<font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo
Oh my god. I just got the most awful news. Remember TCD's report that had the picture of Tarp Man's site.

Well, we just got word that he passed away suddenly Friday night.

I just can't express how sad I am that he's gone. His presence at the RADP meets, Mousefest, and Ft. Wilderness will be sorely missed. I've know him for almost 10 years now and just can't believe he's gone.

Randy Berbaum you will be missed!!

259878-R1-22-22A_023.jpg

259878-R1-03-2A_004.jpg

100_4392.jpg

wow that sucks. We shall toast his honor this weekend.

Greetings:
> >
> >I'm a friend of Randy Berbaum (his work
> supervisor), who I know has made
> >many trips to Disney World and frequented UseNet groups
> and more....just
> >about anything related to Disney.
> >
> >I don't know Randy's usual
> "hangouts", but did find a couple of messages
> >he posted on this group. I'm hoping Randy's
> friends might see this and
> >pass this along to others.
> >
> >I am very sad to report that Randy passed away
> suddenly, sometime Friday
> >night or very early Saturday morning. The coroner's
> preliminary report
> >suggests Randy suffered a massive heart attack, while
> in bed. An
> >autopsy is planned for today (Monday).
> >
> >Randy dearly loved his Disney adventures. He lived for
> his semi-annual
> >trips. I was happy to approve extended vacations for
> him, so that he
> >could live his dream.
> >
> >He was a great guy, whom I had the pleasure of working
> with for more
> >than 20 years.
> >
> >We will miss him here...and I know his Disney friends
> will miss him,
> >too.
> >
> >If any of Randy's friends would like more
> information, such as where to
> >send flowers or cards, please feel free to contact me
> directly. His
> >family says details regarding funeral arrangemnts will
> be made as soon
> >as the coroner releases Randy to his parents.
> >
> >Thank You,
> >
> >Michael Pritchard
> >Operations Manager
> >WILL Radio & Television
> >University of Illinois
> >(e-mail: mrp@illinois.
> <mailto:mrp%40illinois.edu> edu)

I had met Randy too and he was a fun person! I'm glad he did not suffer but went quickly! What a blessing that was...wish we could all go that way!!!! I know he will be missed by many! Janet

I'm normally not in this forum. However, it has been reported that Randy Berbaum died a few days ago. I don't know what his board name was, but I know that he was well know for his monorail and other very unusuyal things in his campsite.

Here is the post from his supervisor:

Greetings:

I'm a friend of Randy Berbaum (his work supervisor), who I know has made
many trips to Disney World and frequented UseNet groups and more....just
about anything related to Disney.

I don't know Randy's usual "hangouts", but did find a couple of messages
he posted on this group. I'm hoping Randy's friends might see this and
pass this along to others.

I am very sad to report that Randy passed away suddenly, sometime Friday
night or very early Saturday morning. The coroner's preliminary report
suggests Randy suffered a massive heart attack, while in bed. An
autopsy is planned for today (Monday).

Randy dearly loved his Disney adventures. He lived for his semi-annual
trips. I was happy to approve extended vacations for him, so that he
could live his dream.

He was a great guy, whom I had the pleasure of working with for more
than 20 years.

We will miss him here...and I know his Disney friends will miss him,
too.

If any of Randy's friends would like more information, such as where to
send flowers or cards, please feel free to contact me directly. His
family says details regarding funeral arrangemnts will be made as soon
as the coroner releases Randy to his parents.

Thank You,

Michael Pritchard
Operations Manager
WILL Radio & Television
University of Illinois
(e-mail: mrp@illinois.edu)

A sad day for all who knew him!

And here is the link to his post

We did not know Randy,,,but it is always a sad time when a friend is gone. We all as campers have a special comraderie that cannot be compared to any other group of people,,and when we loose one of our own it is felt by many. Our condolences to the family.....Frank and Denise

I hate losing the "real campers"..........

Enjoy your prevost in the sky....:angel:

My deepest sympathies...his family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers. :angel:

My condolences to Randy's family.

This was a unique man, who obviously did things his way. I am sorry to say that I never got to actually meet Randy.

Here is the photo I posted from my October, 2007 trip report, in which I stated my admiration for Tarp Man:

Picture115.jpg

Rest in Peace, Tarp Man.

TCD

I admire a guy who follows a different drummer. Throw another log on the fire for Tarp Man.:sad1:

I want to thank you all for your kind words about my brother, Randy (Tarp Man). His death is still quite a shock to our family. He was only 51. I want to thank Mike who posted the message of his death and to all of you for sharing your memories of my brother. It makes me feel like he's still living somehow. I hope his memory will not be completely forgotten.

I also want to thank all who were a part of the trips to WDW. That was a highlight of his year when he would make his trips to FL. Thank you for making his life so much happier. You were his extended family. He spoke fondly of you, and we almost felt we knew you through him. We had always hoped to join him some day...

We will be having a "Celebration of Life" memorial service to remember him on Saturday, May 24 at 2pm at the First Church of the Nazarene in Champaign, Illinois (2403 W. Kirby Ave.). If any of you are close and would like to join us, you are all welcome.

Thanks again.

Randysis-

Welcome to the Disboards!

Fort Wilderness campers are a family, and Randy was one of us.

I just went to a funeral today for a 52 year old friend. What can anyone say about a life that ends in its prime? It is hard for us who are left behind, but as everyone kept saying today, the deceased is in a better place.

Randy marched to his own beat, and he certainly enjoyed life. I know he had a good long visit to Fort Wilderness in October. His memory will live on through all of us.

I am sorry that I will be nowhere near Illinois this weekend, but I hope that you all really celebrate Randy's life.

And, some day you should gather up all of his tarps and take a trip down to Fort Wilderness! Your brother loved it, and you will too.

God Bless,

TCD

Randysis,

Thanks so much for responding. I for one will miss Randy tremendously. He has always had good words to say, and has been a dear friend to all of us in the Disney internet community. There have been many conversations all over the internet and through email on how much Randy has impacted our lives. I know your family has been reading some of them, and we are also working on something lasting to send to your family.

Our prayers are with you all.

I'm very sorry I didn't get a chance to meet Randy. He seemed like a unique man. My prayers are with his family in this sad time. God Bless.

I've been reading some of the remarks about Randy and crying as I read them. Some of the remarks have been....unique, marched to his own beat, follows a different drummer....these are so true. I've known Randy for 11 years now and I can honestly say that I have never known anyone quite like him. With his "vest of many pockets" that he always wore into the parks so he wouldn't have to go through the security check. I can't believe how much he could stuff into those pockets! How he kept our large RADP groups together while in line with his walkie-talkies. His outrageous diet....he never met a vegetable he liked. :-)

There was the year his huge monorail set-up got flooded out. Twice. After the first flood, he regrouped and salvaged what he could. After the second flood, he gave up. He called me on his cell phone that morning and asked me to tell everyone at the meet planned for that day that he wouldn't be able to make it. He had been up all night digging little ditches to try and route the water away from his campsite and trying to get rid of the water pooling in his many tarps. Tent poles had been breaking from the weight of the collected water. My husband and I hurried over to his site to give him what help we could in picking up everything and packing up. When I remarked that he was certainly taking it better than I would have, he replied with a smile that I should have seen and heard him during the night when the worst of it was going on. That was Randy. Nothing really got to him. He could make a joke out of a complete disaster.

How I'll miss him! Neither FW nor WDW will be the same without him.

Sounds like a wonderful man. My prayers are with his family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!