RIP Captain Jack

I'm 99% sure they're not going to re-cast Jack Sparrow as some have speculated...I think it's impossible to pull that off.

The whole series is stale. Disney needs to get out of this funk its in. Be original again Disney! Enough with the reboots and remakes already. Its only a matter of time before Star Wars will be in the same boat.

3 things:

1. I think Disney is smart enough not to recast Jack Sparrow. They know/understand that Depp brought that character to life and if they tried to recreate him with another actor it just wouldn't work.

2. Also, we've had 5 POTC movies in 14 years. If they plan to "reboot" the franchise, it would be smart to hold off a while in order to avoid oversaturation of the product.

2. Has there been an official statement from Disney? Not saying "I'll believe it when I see it." But given the high magnitude of this news, I would think Disney would have already released an official statement.

I would say instead of a "reboot" they should just follow another ship/captain/crew around for a while. I mean, it's pretty much established that all kinds of other crazy adventures happen in that world. Hollywood though uses the term "reboot" to describe any major change of direction though, but I would hope to see something connected to the currently established world.

I would say instead of a "reboot" they should just follow another ship/captain/crew around for a while. I mean, it's pretty much established that all kinds of other crazy adventures happen in that world. Hollywood though uses the term "reboot" to describe any major change of direction though, but I would hope to see something connected to the currently established world.

I know someone wrote a book about Jack's time with the East India Trading Company before he became a pirate. That could be a good story for a movie. Of course they would have to recast Jack but maybe a younger actor could pull it off in a reasonably convincing manner. Maybe Jack was calmer and less eccentric before he became a pirate.

I know someone wrote a book about Jack's time with the East India Trading Company before he became a pirate. That could be a good story for a movie. Of course they would have to recast Jack but maybe a younger actor could pull it off in a reasonably convincing manner. Maybe Jack was calmer and less eccentric before he became a pirate.

They already had a young Jack in Pirates 5. It shows him saving the ship and inheriting his hat from the captain. He definitely wasn't quite so, shall we say, "touched" back then. It could definitely be a way to go to show some of the early days.

They already had a young Jack in Pirates 5. It shows him saving the ship and inheriting his hat from the captain. He definitely wasn't quite so, shall we say, "touched" back then. It could definitely be a way to go to show some of the early days.

Hmm, I must have missed it. When did that happen? It wasn't the after credits scene, that had Davy Jones and Will in it.

Hmm, I must have missed it. When did that happen? It wasn't the after credits scene, that had Davy Jones and Will in it.

It was the reason Salazar wanted revenge on Jack. Salazar was chasing the ship (Wicked Wench I believe - from the ride!) toward the cave. The captain was hit and Jack took over, steering the ship around a tight turn, luring Salazar's ship into the cave where it sunk and they were cursed as ghosts or whatever they were. He blamed Jack for their fate, and that was the beginning of Jack's legend as he had been daring enough to try that maneuver. This was all shown in a flashback, somewhere around the middle of the film I believe.

It was the reason Salazar wanted revenge on Jack. Salazar was chasing the ship (Wicked Wench I believe - from the ride!) toward the cave. The captain was hit and Jack took over, steering the ship around a tight turn, luring Salazar's ship into the cave where it sunk and they were cursed as ghosts or whatever they were. He blamed Jack for their fate, and that was the beginning of Jack's legend as he had been daring enough to try that maneuver. This was all shown in a flashback, somewhere around the middle of the film I believe.

Ooooooohhhhhhhh I sort of remember that. I'm going to see if I can't find that clip and watch it again.

Base the reboot off the Black Pearl, and other casts that may have used the wreck either before or after. And leave the old crew behind, for good.

So who should direct this Pirates reboot: J.J. Abrams or Rian Johnson?

Here's a story idea: "POTC 6: Pintel and Ragetti's Excellent Adventure!"

Last edited:
I find it frustrating that Disney believes we need a reboot of this franchise this early on, it's still very fresh. At least continue the story with the young ones vs. rebooting. As far as Depp and the allegations against him, not really our place to say. I would hope it's not true, but I also know there are quite a few people standing behind him on this, so I won't judge it.

I will say it's clear he's dealing with something (hence his spending problems),and he displays similar symptoms to my step dad who is bipolar; but either way, I wish nothing but the best.

All these reboots are starting to become annyoing. We cant have a franchise and start to like it because they want to reboot it.
Spiderman is the best example

I'm 99% sure they're not going to re-cast Jack Sparrow as some have speculated...I think it's impossible to pull that off.

I would have said that if we hadn't seen the stage show at MK. Depp created a really unique well thought out character. He did the hard work of creating a believeable 'out there' character, no doubt. But seeing the stage show, put the hair and makeup on and any decent actor can mimic him. I would have sworn it was Depp standing there on stage in front of me.

That said, I don't think they should do that. I think it would be disrespectful. I like the idea that others have had to follow a different Captain and crew.

I would have said that if we hadn't seen the stage show at MK. Depp created a really unique well thought out character. He did the hard work of creating a believeable 'out there' character, no doubt. But seeing the stage show, put the hair and makeup on and any decent actor can mimic him. I would have sworn it was Depp standing there on stage in front of me.

That said, I don't think they should do that. I think it would be disrespectful. I like the idea that others have had to follow a different Captain and crew.

In that situation I don't disagree, but I think publicity wise, it wouldn't go over very well.

I agree. Plus with the ending of the fifth we will be left with a bit of a cliffhanger. Would like to see them do a sixth film that wraps up the current characters and can introduce a new crew that we could follow or subsequent films.

(bold) I honestly thought that was the purpose of the last film.

If they're going to try for a new direction for the franchise, then I think they could do something really excellent with Redd. I personally would gladly see a Pirates film with her at the helm (pirate humor pirate:)

The whole series is stale. Disney needs to get out of this funk its in. Be original again Disney! Enough with the reboots and remakes already. Its only a matter of time before Star Wars will be in the same boat.

A matter of time? With the cancellation of Boba Fett and horrible performance of Solo, I'd say they're already there. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter