• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rides that are better AFTER DARK?

Any of the coasters, People Mover and Jungle Cruise. It's not open often after dark but Living With the Land is great. Not mentioned yet, Swiss Family Tree House, it's really a great view from up there. Our all time favorite is ToT, when the elevator doors open you can see all of HS and it is so great. We will get on and off it 3 or 4 times in a row just for that view.

There's just nothing better than going on BTMRR at night, it's just so much fun, the rocks are lit up in purple and it just feels nostalgic and pure fun. For some night adrenaline though, Splash Mountain at night is a must-do, so is 7DMT. Astro-Orbiter, not my favorite ride ever but during the fireworks its actually pretty breathtaking. EVEREST TOO omg, if you had to do one at night it would be EE no DOUBT.

Haunted Mansion
People Mover
Splash Mountain
Jungle Cruise
Pandora in general
Living with the Land (the greenhouse part - still bright, but not as extreme as during the day)
I'm guessing Slinky Dog will be neat at night (I have a FP for tomorrow night (yay!), so I guess I'll find out then!) :yay:

Living with the Land is really cool at night. Also, not a ride, but the fountains outside the Imagination pavillion at Epcot are a lot of fun to play with after dark.

All of mine have been mentioned already, the big thunder, jungle cruise, people mover, tower of terror, almost everything is better at night.

I rode Astro orbiters for the first time about 2 years ago with my nephew, and it happened to correspond with Illuminations fireworks. It was awesome.

People Mover at night for sure. Tomorrowland is just beautiful that time of night. Thunder Mountain for us is another favorite in the dark and even though Haunted Mansion is inside I swear approaching it at night makes a difference.

Living with the Land is really cool at night. Also, not a ride, but the fountains outside the Imagination pavillion at Epcot are a lot of fun to play with after dark.
I love Future World in general at night-- it's not the same kind of visual overload that, say, Tomorrowland or Pandora is at night (both of which I also love), but it's still a great experience. And my life's goal is to own a sidewalk with embedded fiber-optic lighting. ;)

Really, IMO, almost everything at Disney is better after dark-- outdoor rides become completely different experiences after the sun goes down and all the lights come on; indoor rides are easier to see from beginning to end (this goes especially for rides with outdoor queues, especially Spaceship Earth). The only thing I can really think of that's solidly better during the day is the safari-- the safari at night's definitely an interesting experience, but you're more likely to actually see animals in the daylight, and you can't take pictures in the dark.

Slinky Dog has awesome lighting on the coaster and the surrounding land,that one and I got the perfect night ride on Big Thunder the other day with the fireworks going off throughout the ride.

Any of the coasters, People Mover and Jungle Cruise. It's not open often after dark but Living With the Land is great. Not mentioned yet, Swiss Family Tree House, it's really a great view from up there. Our all time favorite is ToT, when the elevator doors open you can see all of HS and it is so great. We will get on and off it 3 or 4 times in a row just for that view.

You are right about Swiss Family Treehouse. Tomorrowland looks amazing from there. Plus, the lighting on the tree itself is just great. Someone already mentioned Dumbo, but I really like the whole Storybook Circus area at night too. The railroad is great at night and particularly at sunset. The view of the Contemporary form it at the Main Street station is breathtaking at sunset. It's pretty hard to do it when it's dark though, because it often shuts down before or soon after dark. I also like the riverboat at night. You can't see some of the scenes, but the lighting around the park and on BTMRR is beautiful. That's another one that you have to hit in the winter to ride in the dark. HM looks really cool from the riverboat at night. The teacups are a little more disorienting at night, especially if you look at all of the neon at Cosmic Ray's.

The only thing I dislike about the parks at night is that so many people carry or wear super-bright LED lights, sometimes even blinking ones. It's worse than flash photography in a dark ride for getting temporarily - and painfully - blinded.

Big Thunder Mountain is incredible at night. It goes from being a really good ride to one of the best.

It feels faster as I'm sure it's from lessened ability to see where everything goes.

In general, I would venture to say any outdoor ride is going to be better at night.

Along with Thunder, Jungle Cruise goes to another level at night.

The People Mover, already great, is even better. Astro Orbiters get a bump as well with all of the lights of Tomorrowland popping out.

Expedition Everest-amazing.

The only outdoor ride, while I've never done it at night, that I hear I hear is worse at night is Kilmanjaro Safaris for obvious reasons.

Oh my goodness. Last august we finally got my youngest brother on a roller coaster (he hates them!). We rode test track at night, and witnessed Illuminations when we rode outside! It was one of my favorite Disney memories ever!

I also hear Tower of Terror is pretty amazing too.

0t5d2tws02iud9z5.png

p07jmt826ggbhx2x.png

I rode Jungle Cruise around midnight (1am park close) in October ‘15 and the Skipper had an almost completely different script. She told jokes that I had never heard before - and haven’t heard since. It was awesome. Plus, going into the cave in the dark gives the ride a totally different feel.

The videos of SDD at night look amazing. Looks like they did a great job with the lighting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter