Riderswap issue today at SDMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the one thing we can agree upon... If WDW decides to make changes to rider swap, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make the website correct. As we know, the information on Disney's website is both wrong (e.g., website saying 2 people can use rider swap) or often not followed (website says someone unwilling to ride is OK, CMs often insist child be too short). So Disney, make whatever changes you want, but please make the website correct!

Of course, given this is used by 1-5% of the guests (at best), I don't expect any changes.

We are 2 adults and 2 kids (42" and 36")

In early October, I asked about RS and FP's when I was on the phone with a CM about something else, and after she checked with her supervisor I was told that both adults (my husband and I) would need a FP to use RS for the first person to go through the FP lane. I then shared that on these boards, because there are many places on the web that say differently. The thread was locked due to misleading info from the CM.

I asked about it again then, because my gut just says that would make sense. A PP mentioned that the real advantage of RS is meant for the standby lines, which I agree with. So my plan is to book FP's for my husband, tall enough child, and myself... but still ask for the RS at the FP lane so both my husband and I have a chance to ride with my tall enough child. This gives her two rides on her 1 FP, one with each parent so she doesn't have to choose, and I don't feel bad about that in the slightest. I am not worried about the too short child missing out on a FP, he's 3 and is going to think just being there is amazing. We will use the 3 we pre-booked up early (and include at least one we can all ride together), and then add the others as we can throughout the day.

I really also don't judge anyone who doesn't book FP's for the whole party of the ride they plan to use RS on. This was my plan up until this thread, but a lot of the thoughts against it made my gut feeling come up again and I don't want to worry about it on vacation.

I did not know there are kennels available for service animals.
Are they at all the rides in Disneyworld ???

My biggest issue is that this isn't well publicized. The last time we went to Disney, we took turns riding rides with our child. If we had done rider swap, we could have both seen the look on her face after each ride instead of taking turns.
Someone above said that less than 5% of people take advantage of this 'perk' but the biggest reason this is unfair is that people aren't told about it.
Maybe some people 'game' the system but what about the people who have no idea?

My biggest issue is that this isn't well publicized. The last time we went to Disney, we took turns riding rides with our child. If we had done rider swap, we could have both seen the look on her face after each ride instead of taking turns.
Someone above said that less than 5% of people take advantage of this 'perk' but the biggest reason this is unfair is that people aren't told about it.

Disney has information about rider swap on their website. They aren’t hiding the fact that it exists.

Edited to add: Disney’s website even has a helpful tips for families with preschoolers and young children section on their website and they list rider swap as a tip.

Last edited:
I appreciate that RS exists. I agree that you should not have to have a FP to get a RS. The person who doesn't have the FP for the attraction is using 1 of their 3 FP to take the shorter child on a ride. What would be the point of a RS if they were forced to have a FP in the first place?!

So let me get this straight..... the way we planned our trip in 2 weeks is that my sister is taking her toddler on a nearby ride while we take the bigger kids on something like 7DMT. Our plan was to show the baby and get a Rider Swap for her to be able to ride with a kid or two so that she doesn't have to ride by herself. Let's say for conversation sake that we have a FP for 7DMT and she and toddler have FP for Peter Pan. Are you telling me that we may get hassled by a CM for her not having a FP? We really didn't think of this as "gaming the system". Rather we want to make sure the little one gets on some rides too and doesn't just watch her cousins all day from the stroller.

So let me get this straight..... the way we planned our trip in 2 weeks is that my sister is taking her toddler on a nearby ride while we take the bigger kids on something like 7DMT. Our plan was to show the baby and get a Rider Swap for her to be able to ride with a kid or two so that she doesn't have to ride by herself. Let's say for conversation sake that we have a FP for 7DMT and she and toddler have FP for Peter Pan. Are you telling me that we may get hassled by a CM for her not having a FP? We really didn't think of this as "gaming the system". Rather we want to make sure the little one gets on some rides too and doesn't just watch her cousins all day from the stroller.
I believe that this is the entire point of a RS. So the little one can have a good time and you get to go on the ride too without having to do stand by while your sister has to wait.

I believe that this is the entire point of a RS. So the little one can have a good time and you get to go on the ride too without having to do stand by while your sister has to wait.

thats what i thought. guess we will find out in two weeks. We have APs so worst case I will let my sister take my turn since she hasn't been to disney in over 15 years.

We are 2 adults and 2 kids (42" and 36")

In early October, I asked about RS and FP's when I was on the phone with a CM about something else, and after she checked with her supervisor I was told that both adults (my husband and I) would need a FP to use RS for the first person to go through the FP lane. I then shared that on these boards, because there are many places on the web that say differently. The thread was locked due to misleading info from the CM.

I asked about it again then, because my gut just says that would make sense. A PP mentioned that the real advantage of RS is meant for the standby lines, which I agree with. So my plan is to book FP's for my husband, tall enough child, and myself... but still ask for the RS at the FP lane so both my husband and I have a chance to ride with my tall enough child. This gives her two rides on her 1 FP, one with each parent so she doesn't have to choose, and I don't feel bad about that in the slightest. I am not worried about the too short child missing out on a FP, he's 3 and is going to think just being there is amazing. We will use the 3 we pre-booked up early (and include at least one we can all ride together), and then add the others as we can throughout the day.

I really also don't judge anyone who doesn't book FP's for the whole party of the ride they plan to use RS on. This was my plan up until this thread, but a lot of the thoughts against it made my gut feeling come up again and I don't want to worry about it on vacation.

This is exactly how it should work. The kids or kid will get to ride 2 x's with just 1 FP. 1 with the first parents FP and the kids FP's, and 1 with the second parents FP in conjunction with the rider swap pass.

FP+ is publicized and not everyone takes advantage of that either. Every time we have been to WDW (even with paper FP), we see a family asking what the FP line is for, or how much does the FP cost, etc. Makes me sad but you really have to do a little planning/research for Disney.

How Universal handles this is a good example. At Universal, it doesn't matter how you and your party came in (Express Pass or regular line) You swap at the ride using the rider swap room and any other children can ride again with the other parent. But everyone has to have Express Pass to enter through the EP line at the beginning. One person can't buy EP and use it for the whole family.

How Universal handles this is a good example. At Universal, it doesn't matter how you and your party came in (Express Pass or regular line) You swap at the ride using the rider swap room and any other children can ride again with the other parent. But everyone has to have Express Pass to enter through the EP line.

If I remember correctly, Space Mountain used to have a nice swap room for this very scenario to play out.

I think the one thing we can agree upon... If WDW decides to make changes to rider swap, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make the website correct. As we know, the information on Disney's website is both wrong (e.g., website saying 2 people can use rider swap) or often not followed (website says someone unwilling to ride is OK, CMs often insist child be too short). So Disney, make whatever changes you want, but please make the website correct!

Of course, given this is used by 1-5% of the guests (at best), I don't expect any changes.

There are many errors on the WDW website but with regard to Rider Swap they will/do offer a swap for a rider who is tall enough, just not the "rider switch pass" that allows anytime FP+ entrance. If the non rider is too short you get a rider swap paper pass.

If not; the procedure is different depending on the ride but usually requires the family waiting together in either the FP+ line (everyone needs a FP+) or standby and switching after the first party rides. This is similar to the universal method without the room and IMHO why the website says 2 riders as that often is the case when doing this type of switch.

How Universal handles this is a good example. At Universal, it doesn't matter how you and your party came in (Express Pass or regular line) You swap at the ride using the rider swap room and any other children can ride again with the other parent. But everyone has to have Express Pass to enter through the EP line at the beginning. One person can't buy EP and use it for the whole family.

For this to work at WDW, the rider swap room would have to be located outside of the line queues, since WDW won't let your child even enter the line if he/she is too short. Then what to do with children tall enough but don't want to ride and wouldn't want to wait around in the RS room? What about family groups that split up to simultaneously ride different rides and then reverse the process? They certainly aren't going to want to wait around.

If I remember correctly, Space Mountain used to have a nice swap room for this very scenario to play out.

When FP started they initiated the paper rider switch pass to keep riders who didn't meet the height requirement out of the line completely.

Then I would book the grandparent or babysitter to ride something fun with the small child. You take older on 7DMT and they take younger on Pooh or Dumbo. It just isn't on Disney to make sure every person who has a ticket gets to ride every ride they are tall enough for. WE decide to go knowing our parameters, we decide our priorities and we make it all work. While I may not ride everything, I still have a great time.

Again, been there, done that and still doing it. And that is what we do now .... for a couple rides we split up and sometimes later we can use the rolling FP+ to repeat with different adults. I realize not everyone goes often (but many on here are repeaters), in that case, as I say in other issues ... Disney World is an optional, luxury vacation you choose. When you decide to go, make it work and if that means until kids are taller, wait. It also means if you come home from a trip unhappy and feeling negative ... find some other place that makes you happy. You should enjoy your vacation not feel like it's work and makes you cranky.
Glad I don't have to consider any of that since we can use rider swap :) I don't work the system or complain and I think most families do the same - I love Disney and I'll choose FEA and TSMM as my Tier 1 every time so my kids can enjoy it. But it's nice to try the rides without height requirements sometimes and I'm just happy Disney accommodates even though not everyone agrees.

For this to work at WDW, the rider swap room would have to be located outside of the line queues, since WDW won't let your child even enter the line if he/she is too short. Then what to do with children tall enough but don't want to ride and wouldn't want to wait around in the RS room? What about family groups that split up to simultaneously ride different rides and then reverse the process? They certainly aren't going to want to wait around.

My point is that at Universal you don't get to buy one EP for the family and then RS on it.

Maybe Disney should just start banning kids from parks altogether ;)

When FP started they initiated the paper rider switch pass to keep riders who didn't meet the height requirement out of the line completely.

I would prefer the swap rooms vs the passes. It's easier to wait in AC in a confined room with a little one than it is in the heat with 50k people walking around...

But I get the safety aspect of keeping those too small out of the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter