Rhode Island Folks

Do you mean The Independent Man? Okay, here's a question, where is there an exact replica of the Independent Man displayed?

Re: Hoxie Four Corners, this is the Dave's Marketplace that I shop at all the time. It's across the street from my daughter's dance lessons in the old building where Tuffy's Aquarium used to be.

Mary

Yes!! What a dork I am. I used to make fun of people who thought it was Roger Williams! It has been 21 years since I lived there, so I need a little grace! So where else is it displayed?

Do you mean The Independent Man? Okay, here's a question, where is there an exact replica of the Independent Man displayed?
Mary

He's at the Warwick Mall. Somewhere I have a picture of my brothers and I taken next to the real Independent Man when he was taken down a few years (OK... decades) ago for a little touch up, and it was at that time that they made the replica.

Chris
Formerly of Warwick and North Kingstown

Hey Coach Rick--
I'm from MA, as I said, so we don't "count" the Gaspee! We have a place called Lexington and Concord up here that we're fond of.;)
Tolman or Shea?

Well of course you don't. ;) But of course the bending of the truth is why Roger left Ma. and founded RI...:cool1:

Keough...Yep, all girls....:scared1:

RI gal here in Warwick! Born in the "bucket". Raised in Attleboro, MA. Spent 1 year in CA , bounced back to Attleboro then Pawtucket, and finally now in Warwick..... though looking for a house in more south RI now.

Been a DVC member since 2005 and love it! Going on my next trip for my 29th Bday in 3 weeks. Staying at BCV then Poly. Can't wait, my first time staying in those resorts. :cloud9:

P.S. Got some DEL's in the freezer! Yummy! :p

Go PBruins! :cheer2:

Close, it's actually Namquid Point in Warwick, and yes it was Joseph Bucklin who fired the first shot and wounded Lieutenant Dudingston of the British Royal Navy, and commander of the Gaspee in the early morning hours of June 10, 1772.

It was Captain Lindsey who lured the gaspee on to the sand bar off Namquid Point by leading Dudingston on a chase up Narragansett Bay from Newport. Lyndsey turned sharp to the west and Dudingston thought for sure he had him, and tacked in a straight line and grounded his ship making it easy pickings for the Rhody's to attack under cover of night.

It was Pawtuxet Village that the wounded Dudingston was transported to and assisted back to health. He later became "Rear Admiral" of the Royal Navy later in the war.

Hey, once a Rhody, always a Rhody, no matter where you move to!

Oops, sorry I didn't see this post until just now. I lived on Namquid Drive in Warwick. And off of Namquid Drive was Gaspee Point (sandbar in the bay). Were we calling that point the wrong thing or is Namquid Point somewhere else nearby?

Oops, sorry I didn't see this post until just now. I lived on Namquid Drive in Warwick. And off of Namquid Drive was Gaspee Point (sandbar in the bay). Were we calling that point the wrong thing or is Namquid Point somewhere else nearby?

I am sure after the historical burning of the Gaspee the name was changed, but as of 1772 it was Namquid point, at least by historical records I have seen. Yes that is the sandbar that Captain Lindsey cunningly lured Dudingston on to.

The bucket = Pawtucket

Kinda like the Dunk = The Dunkin Donuts Center

I'm going to a PBruins game tonight. Hoping they make it through this round! :cheer2:

Hello Rhode Islanders,

I wanted to ask Rhode Islanders their opinion about visiting during the summer months June-Aug. How bad is the heat? Rain, hurricanes etc??
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
XQIXX

Hello Rhode Islanders,

I wanted to ask Rhode Islanders their opinion about visiting during the summer months June-Aug. How bad is the heat? Rain, hurricanes etc??
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
XQIXX

We've been twice in July and once in August. The heat is unbearable...IMO. You have to always have water with you, look for shade, and run for the AC! Haven't been there for a hurricane though which is good.

Generally it is not my favorite time to go, but I am a person who doesn't like that kind of heat. Give me January and a sweatshirt and that's what I call a vacation!

I've been a few times in the summer months.... May, August and late Sept. And yes it is VERY hot and unbearable. :sunny: That being said, I always say I will never go back in the summer and still end up going then. As this year I am going to Disney in less than 3 weeks. But I wanted to go for my birthday. And then going again in the last couple days of Aug and into Sept. That time I will be going for the AKV as I want check it out. But my preferred time to go is during the F&W and MNSSHP. The temp is great and the extra stuff going on is fun. I have so far been lucky enough in all the times I have been so far not to get caught with a hurricane coming through.

P.S. PBruins won last night. Let's hope they can keep it up for tonights game! :cheer2:

P.S. PBruins won last night. Let's hope they can keep it up for tonights game! :cheer2:

:yay: Looked like a great game! Goalies, you can never trust them. :rotfl2:

We usually go in August, and yes it is SOOOOOOO hot. A couple years ago we went between all the hurricanes, and seems as though the hurricanes took all the hot humid weather with them that year, and it was absolutely beautiful!

I will be there albeit very brief, both the day before our cruise and the last day of our vacation time. We are staying in VB for two nights after our cruise then back to SSR for the last evening before coming home. 9 days and counting. :love:

Hello Rhode Islanders,

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
XQIXX

We've been a few times in the summer, most often in late August, due to the kids' school schedules. And YES it is Africa Hot. Like walking into a hot and damp sheet when you step outside, even at 8 am. Breathing is a challenge. Ugh. Thankfully the kids are older now and we are not bound by school vacation weeks. Our next trip is planned in October for my birthday, the Food and Wine Fest and MNSSHP. Can't wait!

Oh! We were caught in WDW for Hurricane Charley, the first of the string of hurricanes that battered Orlando. We were in Epcot when it shut down and saw all the merchandise carts tethered to the ground, watched some CMs place boards across the bottom of the Innovention doors to prevent flooding, and saw the ticket booths all wrapped in cellophane. We had just moved that day from BWV to the Poly and had to stay inside the room that evening and our dinner was food from the Poly snack shop in the lobby. When the storm hit we watched from our balcony (where we were NOT supposed to be) :scared1: as a transformer across the lake blew and the MK went dark.:headache: The next day there were branches etc all over the grounds at the Poly and the pool was closed. We went to the MK that day ( IIRC it was the only park open) and were astounded at how well it handled the storm. Damage to MGM and Downtown Disney was more noticeable and sad.

I have to say that WDW handled the storm quite well and I would not let Hurricane Season stop me from visiting in that time frame.

Now the HEAT... well, that's another story.

Listen. You want to talk heat?? I was visiting my sister in RI last July (week of the 18th or so). I could not believe how hot it was there! I was eating at one of my favorite restaurants, Aunt Carrie's, and the sweat was pouring off of my head! And I could not, not order chowder and clam cakes. What could I do???? (other than sweat).

Listen. You want to talk heat?? I was visiting my sister in RI last July (week of the 18th or so). I could not believe how hot it was there! I was eating at one of my favorite restaurants, Aunt Carrie's, and the sweat was pouring off of my head! And I could not, not order chowder and clam cakes. What could I do???? (other than sweat).

Speaking of "chowda" (Rhode Island style, I never knew there was such a thing!And the oyster crackers kept on coming....)

Is the RI style the clear broth?
White: New England and
Red: Manhattan, right? did I pass????

I love chowder. I only found 1 good place here in NC. And I don't work there any more. Wah....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter