Rhône River Cruise Meets Thread

I'm signed up for the May 14th Adults Only Rhône River Cruise, in one of the Single Cabins (Category S). Anyone else signed up for this or get a Single cabin?

Sayhello

Wish I was on your cruise @sayhello! I am booked with my ds on October 1st. With my big Africa trip with dd in June, 2020, I couldn't fathom going away during the summer (especially when I have no clue where she'll be or what she will be doing!). This is the safest date for us!

My ds is fluent in french (he went to a french school from kindergarten to grade 11) so we won't have to worry about any language barriers (my french is not very good anymore).

I am starting to look at single supplements on trips. I will probably be travelling solo in the next few years.

Wish I was on your cruise @sayhello! I am booked with my ds on October 1st. With my big Africa trip with dd in June, 2020, I couldn't fathom going away during the summer (especially when I have no clue where she'll be or what she will be doing!). This is the safest date for us!

My ds is fluent in french (he went to a french school from kindergarten to grade 11) so we won't have to worry about any language barriers (my french is not very good anymore).

I am starting to look at single supplements on trips. I will probably be travelling solo in the next few years.
I wish that had worked out. I don't know if May was the only Adults Only cruise that had a Category S cabin available or if my Travel Agent just went in order of dates & grabbed that one. :) I did tell her that I prefer traveling in May, so I was glad from that perspective.

Ooo! Nice to not have to worry about the language. My knowledge of French is *EXTREMELY* limited, and rather poorly pronounced. :)

Sayhello

My Mom and I are signed up for the July 9-16, 2020. I was looking at September or October for an adult only itinerary, but my Mom turns 65 on July 9, so she felt like this was meant to be:) I’m excited to see the lavender fields in bloom though, so it will be a fantastic mother/daughter trip!

My dear daughter who'll be turning 13 and I will be traveling on the June 11 to June 18 sailing. I think we will fly into London, spend a couple days there and in the English countryside, and probably take the Chunnel train to Paris. I would like her to see the major sites there since she's never been, and I'm debating a night at Disneyland Paris. So excited!

My dear daughter who'll be turning 13 and I will be traveling on the June 11 to June 18 sailing. I think we will fly into London, spend a couple days there and in the English countryside, and probably take the Chunnel train to Paris. I would like her to see the major sites there since she's never been, and I'm debating a night at Disneyland Paris. So excited!

I’m also considering two nights at DLP before the cruise. I need to look into it and decide what to do, but I’m leaning in that direction.

Hi! We are booked for July 9-16. It is my husband,myself, and 12 year old son! So excited! We are also leaning towards doing a few days at DLP before the cruise as well.

Hi! We are booked for July 9-16. It is my husband,myself, and 12 year old son! So excited! We are also leaning towards doing a few days at DLP before the cruise as well.
We are looking at this cruise, but I do not see a 3 person room option. Are you all in 1 room?

We are looking at this cruise, but I do not see a 3 person room option. Are you all in 1 room?
The Seine and Rhône river cruises are being run with ships that were not customized to the ABD configuration (they were built prior to 2016) so they don't have the 3-person cabins.

Sayhello

I'm signed up for the May 14th Adults Only Rhône River Cruise, in one of the Single Cabins (Category S). Anyone else signed up for this or get a Single cabin?

Sayhello
This morning Kathleen and I have just booked this for the May 14 trip as well. We were supposed to be on an adventure this week out on Ocracoke Island off the coast of North Carolina, but as they were wiped pretty clean by Dorian and just now letting residents back on the south end of the island (it's been cut up into several pieces again by the storms) it looks like it will be awhile before they recover - so the 2019 vacation just popped to May on 2020. I did get the current sale price, and the free pre-night using the Disney Visa for the deposit and using the Costco line gives us another $425 pp rebate. Kathleen says she will use all of that at the Maison des Canuts Jacquard silk.

Tobi - we look forward to finally meeting you in person after all these years. Again, following the advice to jump on new trips before they cut them back...Thanks again for everything.

This morning Kathleen and I have just booked this for the May 14 trip as well. We were supposed to be on an adventure this week out on Ocracoke Island off the coast of North Carolina, but as they were wiped pretty clean by Dorian and just now letting residents back on the south end of the island (it's been cut up into several pieces again by the storms) it looks like it will be awhile before they recover - so the 2019 vacation just popped to May on 2020. I did get the current sale price, and the free pre-night using the Disney Visa for the deposit and using the Costco line gives us another $425 pp rebate. Kathleen says she will use all of that at the Maison des Canuts Jacquard silk.

Tobi - we look forward to finally meeting you in person after all these years. Again, following the advice to jump on new trips before they cut them back...Thanks again for everything.
YAY!!!!! Sorry for the reason it happened, but SO looking forward to meeting you two and traveling with you! :jumping1:

It looks like a fun trip! And it just got funner!

Sayhello

Well the pay in full dates have arrived for the inaugural trip of the ABD Rhône River cruise....and from the webpage, only the category E and Suites are sold out, so we don't have a full contingent on board (yet). Really looking forward to this trip as our 7th (and thus lucky!) ABD. The schedule with ABD is fabulous, and we've added 6 predays in Paris and one post day in Marseilles...(how can you skip the south of France?). Better yet, we get to travel on a trek with Say Hello. (We can't wait for her trip report!). With work (and snow) piling up, these trips really do give something to look forward to! Less than 120 days until we depart to say "Bon Voyage! It's not (yet) too late to join us!

Well the pay in full dates have arrived for the inaugural trip of the ABD Rhône River cruise....and from the webpage, only the category E and Suites are sold out, so we don't have a full contingent on board (yet). Really looking forward to this trip as our 7th (and thus lucky!) ABD. The schedule with ABD is fabulous, and we've added 6 predays in Paris and one post day in Marseilles...(how can you skip the south of France?). Better yet, we get to travel on a trek with Say Hello. (We can't wait for her trip report!). With work (and snow) piling up, these trips really do give something to look forward to! Less than 120 days until we depart to say "Bon Voyage! It's not (yet) too late to join us!
So looking forward to traveling with you two! I checked with ABD a couple of days ago, and the boat is a little over half full at this point. But I was assured that since our departure is the first one for this itinerary, we will almost certainly be traveling with a full contingent of Adventure Guides. So I'm looking forward to a LOT of attention and fun with our amazing Adventure Guides! :)

I had a whole discussion with my coworkers about this trip yesterday (hey, I had to tell them I was taking a River cruise in "the South of Fraaaahnce" (had to pronounce it Fraaaahnce)! I just hit my 25 year anniversary at work and got an additional week of vacation! (Of course, I did not get additional travel funds... ;) )

I'm doing 3 pre-days in Normandy (Normandy beaches and Mont St Michel), 2 pre-days in Paris where I will meet up with Mr & Mrs Grifdog22, and then on to Lyon!

Sayhello

So did anyone else taking the Rhone cruise notice that they don't want flights home to leave Marseilles until after 10:30am? It was no-where in the itinerary or in any of the emails/agreements/confirmations from ABD. I searched the website and found it buried in the FAQ, but I swear I did not see it there before.

My flight from Marseilles to CDG leaves at 9:20am. When I checked with ABD to see if they could get me a deal on my airfare, the flight they offered me was the SAME ONE leaving at 9:20am.

I checked with Delta, it will cost me $559.42 to change from the 9:20am flight to the 10:30am flight (the 10:30 flight was not an option when I booked). If they're willing to cough up $560, I'll be happy to switch. They'd better not cheap out of providing me with a transfer to the airport. It's not like they have to worry about what time we dock in Arles in order to depart; we will already have been there for 2 days!

They already have said they won't transfer me from the train to the ABD hotel in Lyon because I booked the ABD hotel by myself (saved over $300) (train transfers are normally offered in Lyon). They also won't provide me with a transfer from the ABD hotel to the port, since I didn't book the hotel through them. Sigh. Hugh sigh.

My lovely TA is ready to fight with them. I'd love to be a fly on the wall! This is definitely one of those things you use a TA for!

Sayhello

Last edited:
After doing the Danube and Rhine I am *very* interested to hear about this journey!

So did anyone else taking the Rhone cruise notice that they don't want flights home to leave Marseilles until after 10:30am? It was no-where in the itinerary or in any of the emails/agreements/confirmations from ABD. I searched the website and found it buried in the FAQ, but I swear I did not see it there before.

My flight from Marseilles to CDG leaves at 9:20am. When I checked with ABD to see if they could get me a deal on my airfare, the flight they offered me was the SAME ONE leaving at 9:20am.

I checked with Delta, it will cost me $559.42 to change from the 9:20am flight to the 10:30am flight (the 10:30 flight was not an option when I booked). If they're willing to cough up $560, I'll be happy to switch. They'd better not cheap out of providing me with a transfer to the airport. It's not like they have to worry about what time we dock in Arles in order to depart; we will already have been there for 2 days!

They already have said they won't transfer me to from the train to the ABD hotel in Lyon because I booked the ABD hotel by myself (saved over $300) (train transfers are normally offered in Lyon). They also won't provide me with a transfer from the ABD hotel to the port, since I didn't book the hotel through them. Sigh. Hugh sigh.

My lovely TA is ready to fight with them. I'd love to be a fly on the wall! This is definitely one of those things you use a TA for!

Sayhello
When we were deciding whether to add on a day, this was a factor for us the vacationista e-mailed me to say, "On Day 08 there will be only two batched transfers; one at 07:00 AM and the second one at 09:00 AM. (All Guest must debark the ship by 09:00 AM, Port to MRS (Marseille Airport) travel time is 1 hour and 15 minutes)." We found connections otherwise not very good and decided to book a hotel at the airport, and spend this day exploring the south of France so we could be at the airport early the next morning. This is our first river cruise, but we were very surprised at the limited transfers -

When we were deciding whether to add on a day, this was a factor for us the vacationista e-mailed me to say, "On Day 08 there will be only two batched transfers; one at 07:00 AM and the second one at 09:00 AM. (All Guest must debark the ship by 09:00 AM, Port to MRS (Marseille Airport) travel time is 1 hour and 15 minutes)." We found connections otherwise not very good and decided to book a hotel at the airport, and spend this day exploring the south of France so we could be at the airport early the next morning. This is our first river cruise, but we were very surprised at the limited transfers -
I'm not sure how it was done on the Danube, as I did the Prague add-on. But I don't recall any limitations on times. There were definitely group transfers (I mean we had 140 people), but I don't recall it just being two.

That's going to be rough getting to the airport in time if they're leaving at 7am. Darn it! Well, we'll see what my TA comes up with.

ETA: And the Vacationistas did NOT say anything about that when I was booking or when I was working with them to book my airfare or anything. Not until yesterday. Really sucks.

Sayhello

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it was done on the Danube, as I did the Prague add-on. But I don't recall any limitations on times. There were definitely group transfers (I mean we had 140 people), but I don't recall it just being two.

That's going to be rough getting to the airport in time if they're leaving at 7am. Darn it! Well, we'll see what my TA comes up with.

ETA: And the Vacationistas did NOT say anything about that when I was booking or when I was working with them to book my airfare or anything. Not until yesterday. Really sucks.

Sayhello
I’m so sorry this is happening to you. Please update us when you know more. We’re heading out on our first ABDs in June (Budapest and Danube) and ABD offered me flights that were departing too early as well. Fortunately, I noticed it before booking, but I quickly learned that lesson. You would think they’d have the time requirements loaded into the system so that non-compliant flights are flagged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!