Restaurant Tipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh My, seems to not be fair. :( . Now I see where you were coming from. May I ask if that was the rule at your restaurant? I would hate to have gotten a bad bus staff or bartender as they would get paid as you said out of your pocket whether they did bad service or good. I liked the restaurant I worked at that had the bar waiters take those orders and deliver any bar orders. They kept any tip they got. I know it was not a perfect system so I did figure out the bar tab and tipped the bartender and bar wait staff the same % as I was tipped. Only fair as bar bill was added to total check from which I got my tip.

Ok now I shut up :)

To clarify, where I worked, which may not be typical, but was not unusual, bartenders got 10% of the liquor bill, and bus boys and runners tips were based on how many tables whether they tipped or not, and Uncle Sam took his cut too. So if a customer didn't tip, as the waitress I was still responsible for giving money to others based upon the check. Right out of my wallet essentially. It had to come from somewhere.

You're absolutely right that it didn't make a huge impact on what I made overall, but I think it is fair to mention to people who don't tip that it does effect others more than they might think.

I'm with you. servers do make minimum wage at the least and if they aren't then they need to call labor board. I work at a licensed starbucks where we aren't allowed to accept tips and I work just as hard as servers pleasing our customers with whatever they want. if I'm already getting paid a base wage, why should I expect more? tipping to me is a bonus for that server going that extra mile for their customer but I am not a picky person and I don't ask for anything extra from my server. I do tip but based on what I think is fair for that service.

Agree with you here. Been there where I worked my butt off for customers and no tips were allowed (KFC). And where we live, servers have to get paid minimum wage at least, some make more, just depends on the level of restaurant.

I was a bouncer in the past and never remember getting tips, why not the security people? There was no tip sharing with the security people.

Jack

Oh My, seems to not be fair. :( . Now I see where you were coming from. May I ask if that was the rule at your restaurant? I would hate to have gotten a bad bus staff or bartender as they would get paid as you said out of your pocket whether they did bad service or good. I liked the restaurant I worked at that had the bar waiters take those orders and deliver any bar orders. They kept any tip they got. I know it was not a perfect system so I did figure out the bar tab and tipped the bartender and bar wait staff the same % as I was tipped. Only fair as bar bill was added to total check from which I got my tip.

Ok now I shut up :)

Yep, absolute rule. At the place I worked you paid your bill to the server so at the end of the night you'd print out the nights receipts from the computer and fill out paperwork based on what was sold. My tips were what was left over when everyone else got their cut.

To lighten the conversation, I was a MILKSHAKE QUEEN! I'd always try to get the customers to order milkshakes instead of booze because it was more money for me. And they were hand dipped and delicious with real whipped cream on top. :) :) :)

i don't tip every where and when i do it depends on the budget how much i spent and if the food and service was good or medicor I am setting tip aside for our cct meal and that seems to be the only one im gona do tips at.
Just so you are aware, servers are taxed on 8% of their sales, so if you don't tip them, they are paying taxes on money they didn't receive. Tipping is part of their wages.

For those that chose not to tip or tip a low %, you are indeed costing the staff money to serve you. (they pay tax on their sales, and have to tip out to the rest of the house staff) I also highly recommend not returning to any establishment that might remember you. (and yes, servers DO remember who are good tippers and who are bad and they are not shy about telling each other just who the bad ones are) Best case scenario, he quality of the service you receive will go down considerably! Servers will not waste their time. Depending on how high-end the restaurant is, you may even be asked not to return! (this does really does happen) Worst case scenario...... well, you can use your imagination on that. On the flip side, if you tip well, you might see the level of service increase with each visit, as well as extra perks like free drinks or appetizers.

As for my family, we will most likely not be doing any sit-down meals in Disney just because I know my littlest ones will be too excited or exhausted to sit properly through a meal. Generally though 20% is our starting point. I only do 15% if service wasn't acceptable.

Edited to add: just for the record, I am not, and never have been, a server. I have many friends and family that have been in the service industry for years.

Tipping to me is based on the struggle that I put a restaurant under due to my appearance. If I have them running around and getting this and that, then I will tip more. If I show up with my kids and one of them throws rice on the floor and the other one spills their water on table, that's extra. Ever ask for more napkins or another plate, better believe that is getting included.

Personally I like to tip more as a percentage of the bill when I am in a low cost place. For instance, if I take the kids out on my own (3 and 1) and have breakfest, I only need to order one meal and we share it. When the bill arrives after taxes it would be lucky if it was over $13. At 20% that is only $2.60. Seems like an awful lot of work for a couple of bucks.

In a way I wish tips were done on a per person basis and be a set fee rather than a percentage.

For those that chose not to tip or tip a low %, you are indeed costing the staff money to serve you. (they pay tax on their sales, and have to tip out to the rest of the house staff) I also highly recommend not returning to any establishment that might remember you. (and yes, servers DO remember who are good tippers and who are bad and they are not shy about telling each other just who the bad ones are) Best case scenario, he quality of the service you receive will go down considerably! Servers will not waste their time. Depending on how high-end the restaurant is, you may even be asked not to return! (this does really does happen) Worst case scenario...... well, you can use your imagination on that. On the flip side, if you tip well, you might see the level of service increase with each visit, as well as extra perks like free drinks or appetizers.

As for my family, we will most likely not be doing any sit-down meals in Disney just because I know my littlest ones will be too excited or exhausted to sit properly through a meal. Generally though 20% is our starting point. I only do 15% if service wasn't acceptable.

Edited to add: just for the record, I am not, and never have been, a server. I have many friends and family that have been in the service industry for years.

I was a server for 15 years, and this is a great summary.
I will add that you get what you pay for, considering a big picture view (average/stereotype of the type of patrons who choose a particular restaurant type/price point). Thinking in very general terms (of course there are great and terrible servers at any restaurant, cheap or not), you will receive adequate service at a restaurant like Denny's where servers regularly get low tips, and many non-tipping tables. You will receive good/attentive service at restaurants like Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory, though in touristy areas you will be given highly biased service based on whether the server believes you come from a low tipping country or group. You will receive excellent service at a fine dining/high price point restaurant. Great servers follow the money. A server's decision to work at a restaurant is nearly 100% based on his or her ability to maximize tips and minimize hours worked. If you want to experience great service at a restaurant, whether or not you intend to return, tip well.

If you want to see some interesting threads, go check out a Las Vegas forum and listen to the tourists from Europe, especially France and Britain. Some of them really get worked up about tips as that is not the custom (most of the time) in Europe.

In Britain, if you go to a reataurant and order a Steak, it says the amount and that includes everything, including tax and the wage for the worker.

Some of them really have a hard time with the concept. Of course, wrongly or rightly, Europeans have earned a reputation in most tourist towns in America and that reputation can lead to bad or slow service on purpose.

I can't count how many times i have responded with feedback on proper procedure on the topic...most are truly thankful. Some are very bitter on this subject and take it personally (having to tip, not my comments :lmao:)

So I will be the first to say that stereotypes about who tips and who doesn't tip has led my DH to almost always tip 20% to make up for the Asians who don't tip well. Even if it's terrible service, he'll give at least 15% because he feels we have to prove that not all Asians are bad tippers. We're both Asian American, born and raised here, but I know Asian immigrants from other countries aren't used to tipping well or can be perceived to be low tippers. It may be changing now that more Asian immigrants with deep pockets are visiting the US, but we certainly feel sensitive to being judged based on appearances.

Add to that the fact that we have 2 young children (which I'm sure servers dread) and we doubly make sure that our girls are well-behaved, careful not to make a huge mess (I always ask for extra napkins so I can pick up the food that inevitably drops to the floor), and reasonably quiet.

Just my two cents. Servers work hard and excellent ones can make a meal much more pleasant and convenient. We try to go in assuming our server will be awesome and more often than not, we get great service.

Wow, I honestly thought tipping was so commonplace as to be non-controversial. Guess I was wrong! :rotfl:

It is definitely controversial. LOL You should see these threads on the budget boards. LOL

Not at Disneyland. They all make at least $8/hr.

I do not tip a % because, in all honesty, the cost of my meal has very little to do with how much work the server has to do. How is my $20 steak more work than a $10 burger?

Yup, CA servers all make minimum wage, that doesn't mean they don't deserve a tip if they earn it tho. I always tip a % tho, I don't think a $20 steak is "worth" more but I still tip a %. Good point tho, I've never considered that.....
That said, I'll keep tipping a % :)

Wow! Lots of responses...thanks!

Here in BC I think 15-20% is standard...that's what we do anyway.

I was wondering if the tip amounts were listed on the receipt in DLR like they are in WDW. There would be the dollar amount for 18% of the bill and the dollar amount for 20% of the bill. I found that fantastically helpful. Do they do that in California too?

I hate calculating the tip at the table, it's nice to have that spelled out as a baseline and then I can leave what I feel is earned based on the service provided.

Thanks again all!

Again, just double the tax and add $1-5 depending on the place and the service and you'll be fine. :)

Jack,

I'm in complete agreement with you. Positive feedback can do absolute wonders. Same thing for negative... Nothings going to change if you dont speak up

Sometimes neither make a difference, I do give both kinds of feedback and have had good and bad responses.

From my experience in the service industry, the reason included tips on large parties was 18% instead of a more standard 15% was because the tip amount was based on the pre-tax price, where most people tip on the total including tax.

I don't tip on an after tax total, only a pre-tax total. Again, I use the tax most times to determine my tip amount. :) But that's a good point, that most people tip on the total after tax, most people don't even think about that.

Being a food server a LONG time ago I know the importance of making tips. Notice I said MAKING. If you are not doing a good job at your work place would be be rewarded? A server only needs to bring a smile, a good additude, and proper service when they service my table. We are generous tippers. Now let me say if you forgot to leave your bad mood at the door, lose air -- as in sigh when I ask a question about the menu, forget to bring enough untesils, forget drinks, forget condiments, I am going to think it must be contagious and I am going to forget to give you a nice tip. I would still leave a minor tip with a note to manager on ticket explaining why I tipped what I did.

I would also like to state that should you get a steak that is not fired to the correct standard as what you requested -- that is in no way a reflection on the wait staff. I have been know to leave a nice size gift for our waiter. A server requesting a new steak well is like playing sussian roulette -- some chefs take that time to yell at the waiter. In this case the waiter is due over 20% in my book.

Anyway no flames--

To Jade you are a sweet heart and I know by reading your reviews you do tip at table service. I think the one poster may have just misread. :)

I remember when the IRS put the amount made at restaurant as the standard on what is paid via tips to the IRS. I think that amount is 10%. You can also keep track of what you make every night -- deducting the tips paid by waiter to bus, bartender, cook , ktichen staff and use that as your actual tips earned. Most use the stand amount as it is way less then even missing a tip on count of bad service or just forgetful patron. It averages out so a missed tip would not be a huge impact -nor would it take money out of their wallets. Remember no burning me at the stakes or steaks -- sorry couldn't help myself.

Definitely not a reflection on the wait staff, but you better believe I'm sending it back! If I ask for my meal cooked a certain way and it isn't done it's a reflection on the cook but I won't eat it if it isn't made the way I've requested. I don't eat raw hamburger and I while I like my steak pink inside if it's still bleeding it's going back. I always say I'm fine with the exact same steak just being heated up a bit more but I'm not going to pay for something I won't eat. If the cook is yelling at the wait staff for taking back my undercooked food the wait staff needs to take it up with management.

I tip 15% at breakfast and lunch, 20% for dinner.

Nope, this is backwards from what I've always been told. You tip more at breakfast because breakfast meals are cheaper than dinner, same for lunch. We don't take less time just because we are eating breakfast, we take about the same amount for all meals so we tip more for breakfast as it is always cheaper.

Easy as this: Double the pre-tax amount, and move the decimal. Round up to the nearest dollar. There is your tip. Absolutely appalled that someone would not leave a tip. Put yourself in the wait staff's shoes. They depend on that $ as part of their salary. We are all human, we have a bad day. They are trying their best. How do you know something devastating hasn't happened to your server prior to their shift and they still had to show up for work. They have bills, they have DLR they don't just show up and clock in. Parking off-site, waiting for a shuttle, go to wardrobe, etc. If you can't tip, go to counter service.

:thumbsup2

So I will be the first to say that stereotypes about who tips and who doesn't tip has led my DH to almost always tip 20% to make up for the Asians who don't tip well. Even if it's terrible service, he'll give at least 15% because he feels we have to prove that not all Asians are bad tippers. We're both Asian American, born and raised here, but I know Asian immigrants from other countries aren't used to tipping well or can be perceived to be low tippers. It may be changing now that more Asian immigrants with deep pockets are visiting the US, but we certainly feel sensitive to being judged based on appearances.

Add to that the fact that we have 2 young children (which I'm sure servers dread) and we doubly make sure that our girls are well-behaved, careful not to make a huge mess (I always ask for extra napkins so I can pick up the food that inevitably drops to the floor), and reasonably quiet.

Just my two cents. Servers work hard and excellent ones can make a meal much more pleasant and convenient. We try to go in assuming our server will be awesome and more often than not, we get great service.

My BFF is Asian, she is a very good tipper but she won't tip more then she feels is earned. Servers do work hard, that is to be commended and rewarded and we always go to a restaurant in a happy mood, we don't always get great service but usually we do. :)

When we get poor service we tell a manager, then we explain why we left a lesser tip than normal, if we continue to get bad service we never go back, again telling the manager. I won't do dine in at BWW anymore because we get the worst service ever there (down to having to ask 3 different people for our appetizer AFTER our food was delivered because our server simply disappeared, seriously, she took our order and then she was gone) so I will just do take out now, no need to tip then. I'm not going to give a tip that isn't earned but it takes a lot to get less than 15% out of us. Like ignoring us repeatedly, not bringing us refills, not bringing us silverware, bringing the wrong food or cold food......we understand being busy during a mealtime rush or a big game on TV or whatever, but simply ignored is not acceptable. Service has to be non-existent for me not to leave a tip. Which has only happened one time.

I do feel that people have mis-read Jade's post, I believe that her upcoming trip in October will be mostly CS and the only meal she will need to budget tips for is her meal at CCT. :) Remember that she does have a learning disability that makes it difficult to get the right words out at times. :)

Sorry, it's 15% no matter how much people try to push a higher standard tipping rate. 18% is based on party’s larger than 7. If a server goes above and beyond my expectations than I feel free to tip higher. Bad service definitely gets dinged though but usually only if the server is at fault.
Restaurant prices have like doubled the last decade while earning wages have decreased. That means tip wages earned by servers have doubled along with inflation. Paying another 5% on top of that is ludicrous to me.
Taking my family of 4 out to a sit down restraint will cost us at least $40, and that is being cheap and probably doesn't include drinks. Now at 20% that is still well over $20 an hour for a server just in tips if they are only covering 4 tables.
On top of that servers only have to pay taxes on less than half that sum and as I understand it only usually give about 5% to the bus boys. Feel free to correct my math if I'm wrong here.
Frankly, I think the standard tipping method should be based on an episode of 3rd Rock from the sun. Put a pile of ones on the table and tell your server that it represents their potential tip. Every time they do something wrong you take a dollar off the pile...

oh at sit down restraints ya i do put tips in to that, but I wouldn't leave no 18% just because ppl think that's the stander now. i've always been told 10% Id leave maybe 15% if got grate service. and if the server or the food sucks then its lower but we do leave tips at those type places. I am trying to deiced what we should leave at cct no matter what tho i've got 10 put for the tip there might end up being 15.
Its the only place were gona eat that takes tips any ways

Just so you are aware, servers are taxed on 8% of their sales, so if you don't tip them, they are paying taxes on money they didn't receive. Tipping is part of their wages.
But, they are only taxed 8% of their sales revenue in the absence of documentation. They are required to report 100% of their sales revenue. Naturally most of them will report far less than this, but still more than the default assumption of 8%.

Being in a job that doesn't receive tips, I get taxed on 100% of my income. That being said, I tip 15-30% based on service received.

oh at sit down restraints ya i do put tips in to that, but I wouldn't leave no 18% just because ppl think that's the stander now. i've always been told 10%
15% is standard. If you leave 10% it indicates something was wrong with the service, please let them also know what they were doing wrong, so they have the ability to correct it.

This past weekend, we were at Disneyland. For one meal, we were a party of 17. That meal, we tipped close to 30%, due to the over the top service we had (Tortilla Jo's.) We also went to Mimi's for a light dinner, and we were a party of 6, but due to the fact we ordered light (4 kids meals, and a soup, and a sandwich) our bill was much lower than you'd expect for a dinner for 6. I made sure to make up for it in our tip, as the server was right on the service the whole time. We also had great service at Cafe Orleans, where I explained to our server we were running late for Fantasmic! seating (it was 810p, needed to be at seats at 9pm) and because he made sure all went well and got us finished quickly, he got 20+%.

I rarely leave less than 15%, usually closer to 20%, but that is because I usually get outstanding service most places. Last week, we did go to a restaurant and received subpar service, and I did leave only 10%, but I also left the manager detailed information on what went wrong to cause the 10%.

We tip 15%, I don't understand why we need to tip 18% when there are only TWO people eating. I thought I remember reading at WDW that a "tip" wasn't necessary and that they don't think you should/need to do one? I remember I kept getting papers saying how they said you didn't have to tip if you didn't want to.

We've never not tipped someone less than 10% and do not plan on tipping 15%+ unless we are in a party of 6 or more.

We are Australian and I really struggle with the tipping etiquette. I understand that the waiters are relying on the tips as part of their wage, but it's just not a natural reaction for us to have.
That said we have researched tipping alot and in many restaurants we visit when they find out we are Australian they add the tip on the receipt as part of the bill already. (18%)
So, if the tip of 18% is added do we have to add more cash for the server on top of this or is that sufficient?
We were told be a server once in SF that they add the tip to the receipt when the diners are foreigners.
I think many tourists don't mean NOT to tip, it's just that we may honestly forget to do so... :flower3: Sorry!
But I have taken notes and will be prepared this time when we have sit down meals.
Thanks for this thread, it's really educational.
C

I'm a ex-server and paid my way through school while serving and bar-tending. I always tip generous because I know how bad it sucks when someone leaves you a bad tip. It really pays for its self if your visiting your local restaurants frequently. They all know who the bad tippers are, even the managers! Trust me!*

I've heard crazy stories for example, This guy who never tipped the Valet. Well one day the Valet guy wasn't happy about being stiffed all the time, so in turn he keyed the guys $75,000 BMW. *Walked away from the employer found another job elsewhere. Yes this is extreme but you should only imagine what happens in the back on the house. Maybe if the sever drops your bread on the floor and servers it to you, or (yes this can happen too) if the server knows the cook and notices the bad tippers are in the restaurant it's a recipe for yuck! Food for thought, tip at least 10-15% or more for good service.

So, if the tip of 18% is added do we have to add more cash for the server on top of this or is that sufficient?
On the check, below the tax, it would say something like "Gratuity" and the amount. If it has the gratuity added, no need to add more, unless you feel the server was over the top.

An example, when we went to Tortilla Jo's this weekend, they already added the 18%. However, we had 2 toddlers, and we had extremely helpful service (as in over the top.) We never had an empty glass, we had tortillas before we needed them, they made sure the Divas visited, they anticipated needs.... So, we left them additional cash.

We frequent Club 33, and the service there is always impeccable. I would never consider tipping less than 20% there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter