Resort vs. Off site hotel

Resort vs. Off site hotel

• Resort/on site

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Hotel/off site

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
We are an on-site family. It is all about the bubble for us. We drive so renting a car and having our own transportation doesn't matter, we never use the car, we use WDW transportation the entire time we are there. We rarely do EMH, we used to but now our trips aren't all about the parks, yes we go to a park every day but we aren't there from open to close. I could care less about the whole 180 day, 60 day, whatever it is to book FPs and ADRs. I don't book most of what I do until the night before, the earliest maybe a week before. I have APs so parking is free for me anyway. So why stay on site? I like the convenience. Simple. I do shop for discount rates and I do split stays between moderates and deluxe. It's just me and my grown son, sometimes just me so having a whole lot of room that a two bedroom condo has isn't necessary. I don't cook or do laundry on vacation, the best I do is if we are diving and staying in a condo I'll throw wet suits and dive boat clothes in the dryer. I don't like having to navigate the traffic, I don't like having to look for a parking spot, I basically don't like to think when I'm on vacation. That bubble keeps me from having to do that. The one time, years ago, we stayed off site, we were turned away at the gate because MK was full. In all fairness, I always try to stay in a self contained area no matter where I vacation. If I go to Jekyll Island here in Georgia, I stay at the Jekyll Island Club. Most likely the most expensive resort on the island and is not on a beach, it is on the river. They do own their own little beach and offer a free shuttle to get you there. Could I stay at the Holiday Inn for less, which is right on the beach and a fairly nice hotel? Yes, but I like the fact that the club is like it's own little town, you can walk around at 5 in the morning with no one but the deer to keep you company and be perfectly safe. You can park your car and not have to move it, they will do everything else for you. When I go to Amelia Island in Florida, I stay at the Amelia Island Plantation. Same thing, it's a self contained little town and as a solo woman I'm safe there. Yes, I visit other places in the towns I go to, normally if I do that I'll stay in a Holiday Inn or Sheraton for a night or two to do that. Am I rich? No. I save for my trips, I actually re-use zip lock bags much to my honey's dismay. I will squeeze every last drop out of a shampoo bottle and use a bar of soap until it's a tiny sliver. My vacations are my splurge, I buy my clothes only on sale, I've never paid more than $30 for a pair of shoes, I buy store brand just about everything and if there is a coupon out there I'll use it. Are the deluxe resorts up to par with a Four Seasons or the Ritz, which will cost about the same? No. But it's all about the bubble.

If you're planning on eating every meal on Disney property and know that you wouldn't cook any meal yourself anyway, I'd stay on property.

If you will have your own car you might want to drive yourself to the parks anyway, it will be much faster (except Magic Kingdom)

This advice is ONLY because it will just be the 2 of you. If you had more people or kids going with I would say stay off site.

Of all the on-site benefits, the only one that really appeals to us is EMH.

Cost is just such a huge factor for us & we're staying offsite (non-Disney trip) in June for $57/night for a 2-BR cabin that is 8 minutes from Epcot's turnstiles. We drive to Orlando, so we'd have a car no matter what. We like to pack food into the parks, no interest in dining plans. Love having a kitchen. And we generally go rope-drop to close, so the only time we're outside the parks is occasional meals & sleeping.

With a bigger budget, we might consider on-site, but for now it just doesn't offer enough advantages "for us".

I am an offsite girl. With a family of five, we just love having multiple bathrooms, kitchen, washer and dryer, multiple tvs and bedrooms, etc.. We love Bonnet Creek Resort which is even nicer than some of the Disney Deluxes and about 1/4 of the price. But...if you want room service and daily maid service that is not the place for you.

If it's a honeymoon, I think I would price out the Waldorf Astoria...it's practically onsite and may wind up costing you less than a Disney Deluxe with great service and amenities. Just an idea...

If it's a honeymoon, I think I would price out the Waldorf Astoria...it's practically onsite and may wind up costing you less than a Disney Deluxe with great service and amenities. Just an idea...

I was going to suggest that or the four seasons which I think is the same price as deluxe, but MUCH more service and better amenities.

Here's my rule of thumb for onsite vs. offsite stay.

3 people or less in your party - onsite
4 or more in your party - stay offsite in a condo

What I've learned is if it's less than 3 people the time you save and the convenience to being in the bubble is worth it and you would break even if you stay in a value or moderate onsite IMHO. Traveling w/ my sisters or besties, we grab POP or a mod resort and kick back and let the buses take us where we need to go. CONVENIENT! CONVENIENT! CONVENIENT!! We live, eat and play inside the WDW bubble and we love it!!

At 4+ people YOU NEED THE SPACE. PERIOD. POINT. BLANK. If you can swing a DVC go for it. If not get a condo offsite. Wyndham Bonnett Creek is my resort of choice for offsite. Best vacation ever at WDW w/ 7 adults and 2 kids. 4 bdrm Presidential suite was cheaper than staying onsite at WDW. Hands down the best decision we ever made for this trip to WDW. It was our 1st time off site. We would do it again if 4 or more were traveling. We ate breakfast at the condo but all other meals we ate at the parks because we saved sooo much money on lodging. LOL!!! The only thing that got on my nerves was driving to the parks. It was simple and easy but I'm a lazy bum on vacation plus I commute to work every day so I prefer not to drive on vacation.

Wow, what an amazing response! We are flying into Orlando and we are visiting universal studios for a day to see the Harry Potter attractions. We do plan on renting a car for the first few nights I think. Still in the air about it. We are looking at the caribbean resort for our stay.
I spoke with a Disney Vacation planner earlier today and she told us because my fiance is a veteran that we will get a discount on the room and tickets. So it's looking like on site it is!

Wow, what an amazing response! We are flying into Orlando and we are visiting universal studios for a day to see the Harry Potter attractions. We do plan on renting a car for the first few nights I think. Still in the air about it. We are looking at the caribbean resort for our stay.
I spoke with a Disney Vacation planner earlier today and she told us because my fiance is a veteran that we will get a discount on the room and tickets. So it's looking like on site it is!

The discount is only applicable for Active Duty and Retired with an ID, just to warn you.

I think the caribbean beach resort often has offers on Orbitz.

Are you able to stay at Shades of Green? That's close to MK and a much better deal than other Disney resorts. It's only for those involved with the military. My sister and her family get to stay there.

HI everyone! My fiancee and I are new members here. We are preparing to make our reservations to Disney world. It has been over 10 years since either of us has been to WDW or on any real vacation to speak of and we are excited. Now for the point of this post. We are trying to decide if on-site hotels/resorts are worth the extra money. We know about the special hours if you stay at the resorts but we are looking for feedback from those who have stayed in and out and which they would recommend.

Some things to consider: if you stay onsite, you don't need a rental car at all because Disney Magic Express will transport you from the airport to the resort and back (included in the price of the hotel), and you don't have to drive to the park every day because you can ride the bus/monorail/boats from the resort to the parks. If you stay offsite, you have to pay to park unless you have an annual pass (parking is $20 per day).

You might want to also consider a split stay and look at the hotels at Universal. They are walking distance to the Universal parks and you get express pass included.

Are you able to stay at Shades of Green? That's close to MK and a much better deal than other Disney resorts. It's only for those involved with the military. My sister and her family get to stay there.

We checked them out and she has her heart set on the caribbean. But those are great deals we may stay there on future visits

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter