Resort ideas for elderly

WL- my hubby is blind and we picked that resort because it's small, the food and shops are under one roof and near the rooms, and it's near mk. I traveled with a bad migraine and it was good for me too not having to go out in the heat (by the way we are in our 30's but I can relate with my hubby's issues)

Thanks everyone for your imput! We are actually looking for May 2018 (so far away, I know...), but with this sized group we need time to make the decision and then coordinate exact dates with everyone...

Yes, I am aware that nothing will be close to both Epcot and MK, I just meant no "out of the way" resorts like AKL (as gorgeous as it is). :)

Deluxe is in our budget. We are hesistating between Poly, Beach and Yatch Club, Port Orleans FQ, and Wilderness Lodge.

I agree that everything at Disney is amazingly themed.

How is the bus service to MK from BC and YC? WL?

Thank you again so much! We are really excited for their first trip!

Bus is 5 min from WL to MK.. If you have an ECV they just strap you in... Also recommend walking through the emporium to avoid Main Street and don't arrive during a parade

I would go with an Epcot resort, either the Boardwalk or Yacht or Beach Club. I have enjoyed monorail resorts a few times, but prefer the ability to walk around the Boardwalk in the afternoons, or early morning with my cup of coffee. Plus, the ability to walk over to Epcot is much nicer to me than staying on the monorail.

You could even look into renting points for a BWV for some of your group, to have a kitchen and living room to meet up and relax in.

We never took the bus to the MK from WL when we stayed there. For older people who may have arthritic knees, the boat is MUCH easier. Just walk straight onto it or at most have a tiny step up or down. Besides, the boat ride is so pleasant, scenic and relaxing.

I'd say stay WL since the renovation is projected to be complete in early 2018. It should be nearly if not fully done by May.

I, too, recommend looking into ECV rental but perhaps only if the elders are accustomed to using one in stores and malls. WDW crowds are no place to try to acquire experience driving one safely, particularly for an older person who may startle and panic easily.

I've been struggling with the same choice. my dad is 76 and would like to visit WDW again. I think a boardwalk area resort would be great for being so close to both Epcot and the Disney Studios. But then both the Poly and Contemporary would be great for Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. I'm kind of leaning towards one of the monorail resorts. My reasoning is if we decide to use a taxi it is easier to take one to Epcot than it is to take one from a boardwalk resort to the Magic Kingdom.

Does that help at all?

Although I am only 45 I am quite disabled and I did not get on with the Poly at all. I found it non accessible. The pathways aren't smooth they are kind of cobbled and quite narrow in places.

The GF was the most accessible and WL even with the construction I love this resort.

Bus service from BC to MK was average for us. We stayed at POR a few years ago, and honestly the bus system there was better than at the BC, but for visiting Epcot & DHS, the Beach club can't be beat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter