resort at hollywoods st.

how about a new dvc. i realize beach club and boardwalk are still very grand and not far away, but beach club is always full. i think a small dvc with a hollywood star quality would be fun. also a little elevator fun could be nice. just joking of course. :)

Disney sold that plot of land back.

I know.... As I said.. "Not likely to happen either".

I probably wasn't very clear on my main point. Disney has free reign west of the Mississippi, But east there are certain limits in place. Florida is pretty much off-limits for anything except a store that JUST sells Marvel Merch. No fake photo ops, virtual attraction, etc. Once you get a couple hundred miles away, there options open up a little more, such as a themed resort, complete with a Marvel Ride Sim, sorta like the stuff you see at Disneyquest. (Not a Star Tours type sim).

The problems are that 1. Disney would need to find a location with a large enough tourist draw to make a stand alone themed resort feasible, and 2. Disney would need to have the desire to build a stand alone themed resort that is unconnected to their existing resort complexes.

With 1, There aren't a ton of options on the east coast and outside the limitations in place from the contract that would have the designed year-round tourist draws to be attractive. DC and NYC are the two cities I can think of off the top of my head.....

which brings us to #2. That's the bigger problem. It's almost a given now that whatever Disney decided to build would include a DVC component. There have also been rumors of DVC development in both NYC and the DC area in the past. But we also saw how past DVC outside of the parks sold with Hilton Head and Vero Beach. Those resorts pretty much ended DVC's expansion away from the theme parks. The only DVC property since that hasn't been attached to the theme parks is Aulani, but I think we can all agree that Hawaii offers a type of destination and draw that completely different from any other domestic location. [and I'll be honest and say I'm curious to know how "point neutral" Alulani is.... Or if more Aulani DVC points are being used at theme park DVC properties than Theme Park properties DVC points are being spent at Aulani....]

I know.... As I said.. "Not likely to happen either".

I probably wasn't very clear on my main point. Disney has free reign west of the Mississippi, But east there are certain limits in place. Florida is pretty much off-limits for anything except a store that JUST sells Marvel Merch. No fake photo ops, virtual attraction, etc. Once you get a couple hundred miles away, there options open up a little more, such as a themed resort, complete with a Marvel Ride Sim, sorta like the stuff you see at Disneyquest. (Not a Star Tours type sim).

The problems are that 1. Disney would need to find a location with a large enough tourist draw to make a stand alone themed resort feasible, and 2. Disney would need to have the desire to build a stand alone themed resort that is unconnected to their existing resort complexes.

With 1, There aren't a ton of options on the east coast and outside the limitations in place from the contract that would have the designed year-round tourist draws to be attractive. DC and NYC are the two cities I can think of off the top of my head.....

which brings us to #2. That's the bigger problem. It's almost a given now that whatever Disney decided to build would include a DVC component. There have also been rumors of DVC development in both NYC and the DC area in the past. But we also saw how past DVC outside of the parks sold with Hilton Head and Vero Beach. Those resorts pretty much ended DVC's expansion away from the theme parks. The only DVC property since that hasn't been attached to the theme parks is Aulani, but I think we can all agree that Hawaii offers a type of destination and draw that completely different from any other domestic location. [and I'll be honest and say I'm curious to know how "point neutral" Alulani is.... Or if more Aulani DVC points are being used at theme park DVC properties than Theme Park properties DVC points are being spent at Aulani....]

That's a good point. I find it hard to believe that anyone goes to Hawaii every year. I wouldn't think any DVC member would go more than one out of five years. Maybe one out of ten-- And the locals who are DVC probably never.

That's a good point. I find it hard to believe that anyone goes to Hawaii every year. I wouldn't think any DVC member would go more than one out of five years. Maybe one out of ten-- And the locals who are DVC probably never.

We go to Hawaii at least once a year. Usually a different island each trip. Last year we went twice. Once in 2011, twice in '10, etc. That being said, we've never been to Aulani, and have no intention of going there (except for maybe a day visit to see the resort). There's too much natural beauty in Hawaii to enjoy. No need to spend Disney kind of money for an artificial Hawaiian experience while in paradise.

We go to Hawaii at least once a year. Usually a different island each trip. Last year we went twice. Once in 2011, twice in '10, etc. That being said, we've never been to Aulani, and have no intention of going there (except for maybe a day visit to see the resort). There's too much natural beauty in Hawaii to enjoy. No need to spend Disney kind of money for an artificial Hawaiian experience while in paradise.

Okay, so I should have said an extreme few. My guess is you are either;

A west coaster.
A person who travels a lot for work with lots of travel miles.
Very high on the income scale.

I agree with the question of why build a simulated Hawaii in Hawaii-- kind of like building mount everest in Nepal. I bet their yeti still works.

I can't figure out for the life of me why the "marvel ____" in LBV comes up not only a bunch of times a week...but in different variants...

so a "marvel resort" makes sense? really? it does? are you sure?

maybe if we started writing in a foreign language...

"Sprechen Sie!!!"

I can't figure out for the life of me why the "marvel ____" in LBV comes up not only a bunch of times a week...but in different variants...

so a "marvel resort" makes sense? really? it does? are you sure?

maybe if we started writing in a foreign language...

"Sprechen Sie!!!"

It certainly does make sense if they are allowed to do a resort and the like, just not attractions in the parks.

Marvel themed room areas, character meals, and a Pirates League/Bibbiddi Bobbidi Boutique style dress-up (or whatever it is they call it) would fit in well near DHS, with an added Star Wars Galaxy area and possibly a scaled down Cars Land area at DHS would make this a pretty good male-centric area.

I don't have any of the numbers, but I would guess if Disney is losing a day (or even half-day) to Universal, its likely showing up most in the male demographic.

That said, I don't think they are allowed to do a resort, character meal, or dress-up at WDW themed to Marvel (at least the popular Marvel characters like Spiderman, Hulk, Thor, Capn America, Iron Man, X-Men).

But just remember any SW themed resort attached to a park would have to be a deluxe. How many Star Wars fans are willing to pay $400 a night or more for a room?

hmmm...does it include an allowance for a new movie prop grade ewok or sand person costume?

we're talking about star wars convention goers here...you got to factor in adult costuming as part of the economics...

I know that this is just a conversation, I'm not sure how a new resort attracts people to a park. Did AKL and its DVC boost AK numbers?

No...and while they have over 10,000 rooms in the animal kingdom area....which is the largest individual "resort area" with perhaps the exception of the EPCOT one...there seems very little love for those hotels at all...and even less so for the park.

they were shortsighted and continue to be in not providing direct transportation access or walking paths to the respect "home" parks...and i'm not talking buses

It certainly does make sense if they are allowed to do a resort and the like, just not attractions in the parks.

Marvel themed room areas, character meals, and a Pirates League/Bibbiddi Bobbidi Boutique style dress-up (or whatever it is they call it) would fit in well near DHS, with an added Star Wars Galaxy area and possibly a scaled down Cars Land area at DHS would make this a pretty good male-centric area.

I don't have any of the numbers, but I would guess if Disney is losing a day (or even half-day) to Universal, its likely showing up most in the male demographic.

That said, I don't think they are allowed to do a resort, character meal, or dress-up at WDW themed to Marvel (at least the popular Marvel characters like Spiderman, Hulk, Thor, Capn America, Iron Man, X-Men).

so you think a vastly overpriced (how do i know that?...because with the exception of allstars and pop all the disney hotels are vastly overpriced) marvel hotel next to a park that is for movies and tv but they can't use...
will compensate this "1/2" statistic and keep people from leaving their 3 $389 standard room and going to the place 7 miles away (which is cheaper lb for lb and more built up and about to get moreso) that has big scary rides and characters to take pictures with walking around?

I'm just making sure i got this one...maybe i'm mistaken...

and i'm not even bothering to consider that they can't use any marvel stuff by contract that close to universal...which is relevant but i'm just ignoring that for now...

Yes, if they were allowed to build this resort, all inclusive of the things mentioned, with a backgate entrance to a DHS that will likely get a bit of a facelift over the next 5-7 years, it would keep a pretty healthy percentage of people from drifting over to Universal.

I'm not sure people would be jumping at the $128 one day ticket (or even the $150 2 day ticket) to Universal if Disney offered the Marvel resort plus new Star Wars and Cars Land attractions at DHS. More people on-site for a longer amount of time is exactly what they want, and it's what would be the result of this.

Like I said, I don't think they're allowed to because of the contract, but if they were allowed to, it would make a heckuva lot of sense.

There is more than enough land right across World Drive for a big resort. Pretty easy to build a walking bridge over that big enough to make it a nice walk across to a backdoor/second entrance.

There is also enough land just southwest of the park that would have to be re-designated from not-suitable to build. Pretty much the entire WDW is built on a swamp and they know how to re-engineer the land to make it suitable to build, so I don't think that would be much of an issue. That would give them a back-entrance right into Streets of America/Lights Motors Action, or whatever would replace them in the future.

Even if it was a big issue (not suitable to build), there is a big tract of land between Osceola Parkway and Wide World of Sports that isn't far away in terms of distance.

If they wanted to, they could also put a tower at the southeast intersection of World Drive and Buena Vista Drive, with an entrance right onto Sunset Blvd in the park. There is already an entrance there (Cypress Drive) that could be used for the resort. You could probably fit 2 Bay Lake Towers in that spot.

Depending on the theme of the resort, it could mean a substantial uptick for the park. DHS could become a more male-centric park with Star Wars, CarsLand, and a potential Marvel resort. Again, I don't know if a Marvel resort is doable with the contract with Universal, but even if not, a Star Wars Resort would likely work just as well.

That's correct! The statistic is something like only 14% of all of the land Disney owns is actually built on-that's including all parks, resorts etc..... A resort is totally doable - in a ton of places.

what is wrong with a lux resort in the style of old hollywood glamor? you could throw in a bibbiddi and a pirates make-over shop. pixiedust:

i think a back of the park entrance would be just perfect.

i would even add a small train to ride from the resort to the boat dock and bus area in front of the park.::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter