Reservations, walking, points allocation, magic bands

Leahc117

Mouseketeer
Hello!
I made my first DVC reservation this month for April which was in my 11 mo window. I booked a week at my home resort. I wanted a few days in the beginning of our trip at another resort. As of the day the 7 mo window opened up I grabbed reservations for that one - 1 day at a time by modifying the reservation online.
I’m still confused at what walking a reservation is, but I don’t think I did that since I reserved the day I intended to stay. I’m not sure if I could have just made the whole reservation because I assumed I had to add each day as it hit the 7 mo window. Is this correct?
Now that I have a second reservation I will have to go back and modify my original- will I then have to call and make sure my 2019 points get used first- or is there a way to do this online?
If I have a split stay should it show as 2 separate reservations?
As an aside - I’m sad Disney is not sending magic bands out! Getting them in the mail was always a special pre-vacation moment for us! Do you think they’re going to be phased out all together? I am sure I spent more money at Disney simply because I just needed to scan my wrist!!
Thanks for any input!!

You could have reserved up to 7 nights right at the 7 month mark. You could have done this by modifying your current reservation (as it looks like you wanted to do). Booking the 2nd reservation on its own works fine if you have enough current UY points to cover both reservations but if you needed to bank or borrow for that 2nd reservation it would cause issues. You should be able to drop the original reservation and modify the 2nd reservation to use the desired points. A split stay is just 2 separate reservations.

If you are now in the 7 month window of your trip, go in and modify the original one and book it...up to 7 days if today is exactly 7 Months for the new resort.

You didn’t need to create a new trip. When you modify, it will pull banked points as it did for the original one,

If you ever do something wrong and the banked points are still there, modify again but don’t change anything and it will pick them up.

So- 2 reservations for a split stay because i can’t select 2 resorts at once? But if I were completely switching to a non-home resort I would just modify original reservation?

Yes, correct, One thing that I do because I almost always want to split stay is book my home resort that way from the start so at 7 months I can just modify the one part to the other resort.

I do this too. I book the original reservation in two parts so it's easier to modify into a split stay.

I've heard that MS can merge the two into one reservation if you end up not making it a split stay. This assumes the two reservations are the same resort and room type.

I do this too. I book the original reservation in two parts so it's easier to modify into a split stay.

I've heard that MS can merge the two into one reservation if you end up not making it a split stay. This assumes the two reservations are the same resort and room type.

Yup. They will do that without any issue

You just have to be careful that they don't automatically do it when you don't want them merged into one. That's happened in the past. They thought they were doing you a favor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter