Resale Check: SSR 300 Points @ $130/pp with 20/21 Points

jacec

Mouseketeer
Want to get a gut check from the community. I'm considering a resale agreement for 300 points at SSR. The contract is December use year matching my 300 point current agreement (Direct). If I purchase this I'd likely rent the 20/21 points as I have my current bookings covered through Apr 22.

From a current market perspective is $130pp a good deal on this agreement considering I could recover $8-9k on resale of the 600 points from the banked 2020 (300) and unused (300) 2021? Anything I'm missing on possible fine print on offloading these 600 points should I proceed? I realize also it's middle of Oct and this resale closure could take 2+ months, anything else I should consider on the banked 2020/21 points?

Only thing holding back any rental is availability. But those 2020 banked points, are good through your 2021 UY so a lot of time left to rent.

Id say it sounds like a good deal!

I think $130/pp is high. I‘m waiting on ROFR on a $120/pp with full 2020 banked points and full 2021 points and seller is paying 2021 dues and 1/2 my closing costs

i had made a deal with another similar size contract for the same price but that one had slightly less points which included “holding” points and the one above agreed so I backed out.

Before that I had a deal for a 400 point December use year contract with full 2020 and 2021 points and seller was paying 2021 dues and all closing costs. I backed out because I didn’t want a 400 point contract for resale purposes.

Bottom line, if you are patient, there are deals to be had. That said your $130/pp is probably more likely to pass ROFR but you never really know.

agree on patience. Will continue to wait, I countered with the seller at $125. Looks like they are not going to go lower.

agree on patience. Will continue to wait, I countered with the seller at $125. Looks like they are not going to go lower.

Don't be ashamed to make LOTS of offers at the same time. I have found that the best method for me is to find any deal that fits your parameters from any broker and make an offer for what you are willing to pay. Don't worry about the listing price, know what you want to pay for the deal and offer it. I suggest you let the brokers know that you are working on other offers so you are transparent with them and their sellers. A few will counter with a price that is higher than you are willing to accept, a few will reject and a few will play ball.

That’s good advice. Will continue to look for December use year SSR agreements out there. We use our points primarily at other WDW resorts and Aulani for 2 bedroom villas. I’m trying to keep things centralized to SSR but maybe there are deals to be had at other properties for our type of use. We have yet to actually stay at SSR :)

That’s good advice. Will continue to look for December use year SSR agreements out there. We use our points primarily at other WDW resorts and Aulani for 2 bedroom villas. I’m trying to keep things centralized to SSR but maybe there are deals to be had at other properties for our type of use. We have yet to actually stay at SSR :)

Have you considered looking for a subsidized Aulani contract? I know timeshare laws are different in Hawaii vs Florida, but if you go to Aulani regularly, it might be nice to have some of your points based there. The downside is if you need the 11-month window in Florida, you'd only have it for your SSR points.

Have you considered looking for a subsidized Aulani contract? I know timeshare laws are different in Hawaii vs Florida, but if you go to Aulani regularly, it might be nice to have some of your points based there. The downside is if you need the 11-month window in Florida, you'd only have it for your SSR points.

Yes, and unfortunately I probably just let a nice resale opp slip away. I was discussing with a private transaction (direct seller to buyer, no broker using title & escrow local in HI) , 500 point contract for 119pp at Aulani, however, all the 21/22 points had already been used , and given I need 22 points I decided to forgo. Will continue to look at SSR & AUL (good advice)

Renting the 2020 points, especially that many of them, could be difficult. There's so little availability. Also, you are supposed to report and pay taxes on those rentals. Especially that much rental income, that's an issue.

I own a lot of SSR, and I'm not sure it is the pick I would make right now. For a little more, you can get a longer contract with better priority, like AKL or BLT. If you aren't using the contract for two years, I might wait. Resale has been crazy lately, and I wouldn't be in a hurry. You can always buy next year, or the year after. There is no rush.

As for this particular deal itself, Fidelity has one right now with a cheaper price at listing. It's nothing special in what has gone through lately. The deal is fine if it's the right deal for you.

Renting the 2020 points, especially that many of them, could be difficult. There's so little availability. Also, you are supposed to report and pay taxes on those rentals. Especially that much rental income, that's an issue.

I own a lot of SSR, and I'm not sure it is the pick I would make right now. For a little more, you can get a longer contract with better priority, like AKL or BLT. If you aren't using the contract for two years, I might wait. Resale has been crazy lately, and I wouldn't be in a hurry. You can always buy next year, or the year after. There is no rush.

Good advice. I'm going to hope my ROFR closes on 350 point SSR agreement which gets me to 650 total. Hold out to see how resale evolves into 2022 and look at AUL, BLT or AKL.

No offense, but $5pp is $1500 total cash difference on a contract that matches your current use year and has everything you want in it. Sometimes we get too caught up on price per point and we chase some magic unicorn deal we saw someone else post. Personally I think while $130 might be ever so slightly “high” given it’s fully banked and loaded it’s a perfectly fair contract. And at the end of the day $1500 savings just doesn’t seem like it’s worth it to me to chase around and offer bid after bid trying to find the right deal.

No offense, but $5pp is $1500 total cash difference on a contract that matches your current use year and has everything you want in it. Sometimes we get too caught up on price per point and we chase some magic unicorn deal we saw someone else post. Personally I think while $130 might be ever so slightly “high” given it’s fully banked and loaded it’s a perfectly fair contract. And at the end of the day $1500 savings just doesn’t seem like it’s worth it to me to chase around and offer bid after bid trying to find the right deal.

That is a VERY fair point. I know I am guilty of getting so caught up in getting a great deal rather than making a decent deal and moving on with my life!

Yes very fair point. This thread helped me figure out 3 things..

1) Take the right deal and don't worry about a couple $ on points
2) Expand my contracts beyond home resort for where we may stay (e.g. AUL)
3) This place rocks to get gut checks and real advice :)

This! We wanted SSR points with a specific use year and approx a certain number of points. I was willing to pay a little extra to get that. And to not have to wait any longer. Remember that if the points are loaded (even if banked), the value of those extra points are baked in to the price per point. Figure out what you think the value of those are, then recalculate the price per point deducting that from your total price. Once I did that, I saw that the contracts I was comparing were closer in price than they seemed.

Problem with that is, we had planned to rent the loaded points to offset our purchase price, but instead we're just going on more trips!

Good advice. I'm going to hope my ROFR closes on 350 point SSR agreement which gets me to 650 total. Hold out to see how resale evolves into 2022 and look at AUL, BLT or AKL.

• So you have 300 SSR direct points that you've been using for a few years.
  • You maybe will have 350 SSR resale, pending ROFR.
  • You're considering buying another 300 SSR (or other resort), which is the topic of this thread.

If you only need the points for a specific trip you are planning to take, but don't need that many long-term, you might consider renting. If you're planning a large-group trip and need home resort advantage with a large block of points, you'll probably want them all to be at SSR.

If you want flexibility for a variety of home resorts, you'll want that third contract to be at a different resort, but stick with the same use year for ease of combining at the 7-month mark.

Keep in mind resale restrictions and using the points at Riviera and other future resorts. Only those 300 direct points will work there.

Good luck with your decisions!

• So you have 300 SSR direct points that you've been using for a few years.
  • You maybe will have 350 SSR resale, pending ROFR.
  • You're considering buying another 300 SSR (or other resort), which is the topic of this thread.

If you only need the points for a specific trip you are planning to take, but don't need that many long-term, you might consider renting. If you're planning a large-group trip and need home resort advantage with a large block of points, you'll probably want them all to be at SSR.

If you want flexibility for a variety of home resorts, you'll want that third contract to be at a different resort, but stick with the same use year for ease of combining at the 7-month mark.

Keep in mind resale restrictions and using the points at Riviera and other future resorts. Only those 300 direct points will work there.

Good luck with your decisions!

This is not a specific trip acquisition, I have 2022 covered as I have rented points for our Christmas 2022 trip. Our annual needs typically look like this:
  • Post Christmas / New Years WDW
  • Spring Break (Late March / April , most likely WDW)
  • Late Summer - AUL

Given we know our late summer trip is likely trending to AUL , think it makes most sense to begin looking for a December use year subsidized agreement at AUL

Thanks again for all the help.

I couldn’t agree more. Considering the considerable dues we’re required to pay over the course of any contract we continue to own, the usually small savings earned with a slightly lower per point price for me isn’t worth either the effort or the ROFR risk. I’d rather not spend months bidding on contract after contract after contract in a seemingly never ending quest for the lowest price imaginable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter