Resale and Direct Question, if considering both

bunnyruns

Earning My Ears
Hello, I am new here but not new to DVC. I currently own direct at VGF and am thinking about buying an add on contract. The current incentive through Disney direct is $207pp (or a little less if I buy 125 pts or more, which I am considering). If I purchase through Disney directly, do the 125 points show up for the 2021 use year (I currently have a December use year) or is it for 2022 and beyond? Not sure if that makes sense.

I am also thinking about going through re-sale to purchase a less expensive contract from an international seller to avoid a potential ROFR mess. Has anyone purchased from an international seller lately and had Disney take the contract? I am in the US. I appreciate any insight.

One the direct side.You can ask you guide if they are able to include the 2021 UY points and the ability to bank them. Usually, the can do that if you let them know that it will help close the deal.

i have no experience with resale. So no help there sorry

I am also thinking about going through re-sale to purchase a less expensive contract from an international seller to avoid a potential ROFR mess. Has anyone purchased from an international seller lately and had Disney take the contract? I am in the US. I appreciate any insight.
Disney is not ROFRing VGF regardless of International seller or not. They don't ROFR resorts that are actively selling.

You won't get ROFRed at:
  • Riviera
  • Grand Floridan
  • Aulani
  • Hilton Head
  • Vero Beach
  • Grand Californian
  • International seller, regardless of resort
They also don't appear to be ROFRing the Poly for some reason. Of course, none of this is guaranteed.

Hello, I am new here but not new to DVC. I currently own direct at VGF and am thinking about buying an add on contract. The current incentive through Disney direct is $207pp (or a little less if I buy 125 pts or more, which I am considering). If I purchase through Disney directly, do the 125 points show up for the 2021 use year (I currently have a December use year) or is it for 2022 and beyond? Not sure if that makes sense.

For direct VGF only, they are not giving 2021 points. Your first allotment of points will be for your UY starting 12/1/22. Your dues will also be prorated to that date. If you buy any other property direct, you will receive 2021 points (assuming availability).

For direct VGF only, they are not giving 2021 points. Your first allotment of points will be for your UY starting 12/1/22. Your dues will also be prorated to that date. If you buy any other property direct, you will receive 2021 points (assuming availability).
Had the same experience when we purchased VGF direct last month. Guide confirmed 2021 points are not provided (regardless of your chosen UY) because the building expansion that we are technically purchasing into did not exist at that time, so there are no points to offer.

Disney is not ROFRing VGF regardless of International seller or not. They don't ROFR resorts that are actively selling.

You won't get ROFRed at:
  • Riviera
  • Grand Floridan
  • Aulani
  • Hilton Head
  • Vero Beach
  • Grand Californian
  • International seller, regardless of resort
They also don't appear to be ROFRing the Poly for some reason. Of course, none of this is guaranteed.
They take back HH and VB occasionally. There was at least one instance of each in the Q1 ROFR thread.

They take back HH and VB occasionally. There was at least one instance of each in the Q1 ROFR thread.
Thank you--this is really helpful. Does an international contract take longer to close overall (does anyone know)? Is there any reason NOT to look for an international contract then if going the re-sale route?

Thank you--this is really helpful. Does an international contract take longer to close overall (does anyone know)? Is there any reason NOT to look for an international contract then if going the re-sale route?
Why would you? It's going to take much longer to find a contract that's the right size, use year, and price that you're looking for if you limit yourself it international. If you're buying VGF, there's no benefit.

Why would you? It's going to take much longer to find a contract that's the right size, use year, and price that you're looking for if you limit yourself it international. If you're buying VGF, there's no benefit.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am open to other resorts, like Saratoga or Copper Creek. I guess I should have worded the question to say, "If I am considering other Florida/Disney resorts besides the GF, should I seek out an international contract?"

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am open to other resorts, like Saratoga or Copper Creek. I guess I should have worded the question to say, "If I am considering other Florida/Disney resorts besides the GF, should I seek out an international contract?"
Aha! Yes, if you're looking at resorts that are actively getting ROFR'ed, there's value in an international seller. It might slow the closing process by a little while since the seller will have some additional paperwork, but probably not more than a week or two.

I've bought a couple contracts at the Aulani where the sellers were from Japan. Once the paperwork was signed and notarized it was a similar wait period for the contracts to close. It took SIGNIFCANTLY longer for the paperwork to get signed though. My understanding is they had to go to the US embassy to get proper notarization. I'm not sure how it works for Canada or European sellers. Could be much easier.

We just bought BCV contract with an international seller. Made the offer on 3/22 and points were added today, new membership. 50 days total. That is actually faster than most timelines right now.

We bought SSR in March of 2021. We found out after it passed ROFR that it was an international seller (which is why I think it passed ROFR, our two before that were taken). Everything went very easy, the only hiccup we had was that the seller had a hard time trying to get the documents notarized because everything was still shut down in the UK. Other than that little bump, everything went very smoothly

How do you know if a seller is international? Thank you.
It's not very easy. As far as I know, there's no way to search for just International sellers. Some resale sites will tell you on each individual listing. Some will tell you if you ask. Some won't tell you even if you ask.

I've bought a couple contracts at the Aulani where the sellers were from Japan. Once the paperwork was signed and notarized it was a similar wait period for the contracts to close. It took SIGNIFCANTLY longer for the paperwork to get signed though. My understanding is they had to go to the US embassy to get proper notarization. I'm not sure how it works for Canada or European sellers. Could be much easier.
Aulani itself can cause timeline weirdness as well. The State of Hawaii is less... cooperative, we'll say... than the State of Florida on this sort of thing.

We just bought BCV contract with an international seller. Made the offer on 3/22 and points were added today, new membership. 50 days total. That is actually faster than most timelines right now.
That's good news! I think things were particularly bad with international sellers due to COVID, but hopefully that's mostly opening up now.

To add, just remember that resale points bought today will be restricted from use at RIV and any future resorts that come along.

Right now, that could include both VDH and the new Poly tower. Nothing official for either one has been announced.

Since you have direct points already, you have the ability for RIV and future, and that may be enough for your needs.

As already mentioned, VGF is being sold deeded to the current building which eliminates 2021 UY points. But, RiV and AUL will get them for sure and most of the others are likely…but since those other resorts are sold out, it’s not as much of a guarantee as it is for RIV and AUL.

But, lots of options if you are comfortable with resale and of course, finding an international seller who is willing to sell for less than others can be a win/win!

To add, just remember that resale points bought today will be restricted from use at RIV and any future resorts that come along.

Right now, that could include both VDH and the new Poly tower. Nothing official for either one has been announced.

Since you have direct points already, you have the ability for RIV and future, and that may be enough for your needs.

As already mentioned, VGF is being sold deeded to the current building which eliminates 2021 UY points. But, RiV and AUL will get them for sure and most of the others are likely…but since those other resorts are sold out, it’s not as much of a guarantee as it is for RIV and AUL.

But, lots of options if you are comfortable with resale and of course, finding an international seller who is willing to sell for less than others can be a win/win!
Thank you, yes, all good points to consider. I am fortunate enough to have two direct contracts with Disney at the GF and at Vero, where we love to visit every so often so I am less concerned about future restrictions (although who knows what could change in the future).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter