Report on recent stay at Candy Cane Inn (Aug 7-10)

DizMe

Here we gooooo...
We recently stayed 3 nights at CCI. We were attending the HM 50th event and didn't want to pay on site prices for hotel. CCI was $155/night for us in a premium room. This was comparable to other motels on Harbor though slightly lower than most. It was my first time staying there but I'd heard such good things over the years that I was eager to try it out. Our group was 3 adult women.

Pros:
*The motel exteriors are nicely kept up and it has a charming look to it. Lots of flowers and plants make it look pretty.
*The staff were pleasant. They were accommodating for changes in check-out time (they let us check out at noon).
*The pool was pretty, and though it's in the middle of the parking area, it's connected to the office, surrounded by attractive fencing and plants and private. There is a spa. They also have tables poolside if you choose to eat your continental breakfast there.
*The continental breakfast was much better than most of the other area motels.
*There is a free dedicated shuttle that runs every half hour.
*It isn't that far to walk to the parks. We never used the shuttle because we like walking, but for mobility issues etc the shuttle is good to have.
*They provide very nice amenities (toiletries, sewing kit, etc).

Cons:
*This was the noisiest motel I've stayed in near DL, and I've stayed in almost all of them. Much of this was because my so-called premium room was directly behind the motel laundry, right next to the snack and ice machines, very near the maintenance room, and right under the stairs. Worst location EVER.
*This is an old-school motel, where you park your car directly in front of the rooms. On the ground floor, where we were, all of the cars coming and going are just feet away from your room.
*Piggy-backing on the above, the garbage collection was also right there and very noisy at quite an early hour.
*This is something you encounter at other DLR hotels/motels, but there was a lot of noise from people going to and from the parks or wherever, and it is right outside your door/window. If you like to sleep in, this is something to note.
*The pillows are square and hard as rocks. My neck still hurts from them. They are very fat and have no 'squish' to them.

Cons specific to our stay:
*Our room had one window, which faced directly onto a stucco wall. It was the laundry room, which was ~6' away from our room window, and our view was this laundry room side that was just a large blank wall. It made our room incredibly dark and not particularly welcoming.
*One of the beds in our room made a metallic clanking noise every time my daughter turned over or moved around.
*There was a microwave and one of those small fridges in the room, but the fridge was on top of the bathroom sink counter and the mw was on top of the fridge! Took away a lot of counter space and wasn't very convenient.
*We went to the HM event which ended at 4 AM and walked back to our room. We were all very tired and planned to sleep in. At 6-something AM, maintenance began pounding with a hammer on the wall between our room and the one next door, then running a drill. After several minutes of this, we pounded very loudly on the wall and they stopped until 7:30.

We did talk to management multiple times. The motel was sold out but they did offer to move us to a downgraded room. However, we wouldn't have been able to get back in until after 3 and it was the day of the HM event. It was the same story the next day when we went in to let them know about the pounding and drilling. I really think they should have charged us less for that horrible room.

Upshot is that I thought it was a cute motel, but it made me remember why I almost always find it "worth it" to stay in a nicer hotel. I usually stay onsite but I was miffed with Disney for making the hotel prices so outrageous even though they were far from full. I pay less at Christmas than what they were charging.

I’ve stayed at CCI once and agree with your review. We stayed in two different rooms (because I messed up and only booked one night. Fortunately they had a room available for our second night but we had to move). Neither of our rooms were premium rooms and my biggest complaint was they were both very dark.

I’ve never quite pulled the trigger to go back even though overall our stay was good but I had thought if we did stay there again I would try a premium room as they are supposed to be nicer. Your room definitely doesn’t sound very premium and has me rethinking that idea...

I have very fond memories of this hotel, since it is where my parents booked our stay way back in 1968 (my first trip to Disneyland and very memorable for me).

We stayed there for one night last week, at the end of our trip. I thought the breakfast was quite good. I really liked the ham and cheese croissant sandwiches, had it been a park day I would have grabbed a couple of them, put them in my backpack along with some frozen juice boxes, and made it my lunch in the park.

I like the Candy Cane combs they give out. Every time I comb my hair (of which there is less and less every year) I think of Disneyland. I grabbed three of the combs this trip. Something else I like are the discount coupons they always give out, good for $10 off per night for any stay within the next year. No hotel pens, they supply short hotel pencils, which I've never seen before.

Your stay was obviously less than satisfactory, but it was probably a fluke. At a minimum, they should have given you a significant discount on the room.

Last edited:
Can you share your room number? I was there the same time and I was upstairs in a regular room and it was quiet. Maybe I was surrounded by other people that where sleeping in from the event.

My only issue is the air conditioning wasn’t working great. I think the fan piece of the air conditioning was working correctly. I mentioned it at check out.

If the price was similar to what I paid $170 per night including taxes I’d consider staying there again.

Can you share your room number? I was there the same time and I was upstairs in a regular room and it was quiet. Maybe I was surrounded by other people that where sleeping in from the event.

My only issue is the air conditioning wasn’t working great. I think the fan piece of the air conditioning was working correctly. I mentioned it at check out.

If the price was similar to what I paid $170 per night including taxes I’d consider staying there again.
We were in room 163. If I ever stay there again, I'd definitely ask for 2nd floor. Glad your room was quiet!

Sorry you had those issues. We've never had those problems, although I agree the trash trucks are noisy and that other guests can be noisy packing up their cars. We always request quiet rooms (and have always received them). Now I will specifically note that we want to be away from the laundry area -- maybe it was luck that we have not been near that area in the past?

Thanks for your review. I have CCI booked for September, but I was looking around and also was interested in BWPPI and Homewood Suites. There are positives and negatives to them all and I seriously cannot decide!

One thing I don’t want is a dark room. I thought with having the shutters instead of heavy curtains it would lighten the room up. I’m sorry to hear that’s not the case.

And CCI must have really raised their prices. It was $208 per night before taxes for a premium room for our reservation in September (booked direct).

ETA...BWPPI is $249 per night and Homewood Suites is $153 per night.

Last edited:
Thanks for your review. I have CCI booked for September, but I was looking around and also was interested in BWPPI and Homewood Suites. There are positives and negatives to them all and I seriously cannot decide!

One thing I don’t want is a dark room. I thought with having the shutters instead of heavy curtains it would lighten the room up. I’m sorry to hear that’s not the case.
If you plan l be in your room during the day and not commando in the park...Avoid BWPPI and honestly all motels. Homewood suites is a nice hotel. I’d plan to uber. Even the toy story shuttle is quite a haul. We usually walked back and forth.

I’ve heard Hyatt House isn’t all that quiet.

There’s a Springhill suites 1 crosswalk past candy cane inn. That looks promising.

Courtyard by Marriott theme park entrance is another hotel option.

Once I came to terms that I’m a hotel person now it’s helped me not feel bad I can’t just cross the street to the parks anymore.

And CCI must have really raised their prices. It was $208 per night before taxes for a premium room for our reservation in September (booked direct).

ETA...BWPPI is $249 per night and Homewood Suites is $153 per night.
$153? Which homewood suites. That's a steal if it’s the convention center location .

$153? Which homewood suites. That's a steal if it’s the convention center location .

Yes, it’s the convention center one. I’m really starting to lean toward it. I don’t mind using Uber at all, which has me leaner toward a nicer hotel as opposed to a closer motel.

Candy Cane Inn used to be our "go to", but the prices lately are over $200. I would stay there with a good deal. I don't think premium rooms are worth it; the hotel is not that big so even if your room is at the back, still not that far from Harbor Blvd; and I don't need breakfast delivered; rather pick what I want to eat.

The staff were pleasant. They were accommodating for changes in check-out time (they let us check out at noon).

This comment caught my attention. You say you booked and paid for a premium room (which didn't sound all that premium by your description). One of the touted perks on the website is late (2 PM) checkout with a premium room. This was not true?

Here right now .. no noise no complaints well worth it . We are happy with it and would stay again especially no parking fees and no “resort “ fees
That said we are busy all trip so not spending a lot of time in hotel but more than adequate

We recently stayed 3 nights at CCI. We were attending the HM 50th event and didn't want to pay on site prices for hotel. CCI was $155/night for us in a premium room. This was comparable to other motels on Harbor though slightly lower than most. It was my first time staying there but I'd heard such good things over the years that I was eager to try it out. Our group was 3 adult women.

Pros:
*The motel exteriors are nicely kept up and it has a charming look to it. Lots of flowers and plants make it look pretty.
*The staff were pleasant. They were accommodating for changes in check-out time (they let us check out at noon).
*The pool was pretty, and though it's in the middle of the parking area, it's connected to the office, surrounded by attractive fencing and plants and private. There is a spa. They also have tables poolside if you choose to eat your continental breakfast there.
*The continental breakfast was much better than most of the other area motels.
*There is a free dedicated shuttle that runs every half hour.
*It isn't that far to walk to the parks. We never used the shuttle because we like walking, but for mobility issues etc the shuttle is good to have.
*They provide very nice amenities (toiletries, sewing kit, etc).

Cons:
*This was the noisiest motel I've stayed in near DL, and I've stayed in almost all of them. Much of this was because my so-called premium room was directly behind the motel laundry, right next to the snack and ice machines, very near the maintenance room, and right under the stairs. Worst location EVER.
*This is an old-school motel, where you park your car directly in front of the rooms. On the ground floor, where we were, all of the cars coming and going are just feet away from your room.
*Piggy-backing on the above, the garbage collection was also right there and very noisy at quite an early hour.
*This is something you encounter at other DLR hotels/motels, but there was a lot of noise from people going to and from the parks or wherever, and it is right outside your door/window. If you like to sleep in, this is something to note.
*The pillows are square and hard as rocks. My neck still hurts from them. They are very fat and have no 'squish' to them.

Cons specific to our stay:
*Our room had one window, which faced directly onto a stucco wall. It was the laundry room, which was ~6' away from our room window, and our view was this laundry room side that was just a large blank wall. It made our room incredibly dark and not particularly welcoming.
*One of the beds in our room made a metallic clanking noise every time my daughter turned over or moved around.
*There was a microwave and one of those small fridges in the room, but the fridge was on top of the bathroom sink counter and the mw was on top of the fridge! Took away a lot of counter space and wasn't very convenient.
*We went to the HM event which ended at 4 AM and walked back to our room. We were all very tired and planned to sleep in. At 6-something AM, maintenance began pounding with a hammer on the wall between our room and the one next door, then running a drill. After several minutes of this, we pounded very loudly on the wall and they stopped until 7:30.

We did talk to management multiple times. The motel was sold out but they did offer to move us to a downgraded room. However, we wouldn't have been able to get back in until after 3 and it was the day of the HM event. It was the same story the next day when we went in to let them know about the pounding and drilling. I really think they should have charged us less for that horrible room.

Upshot is that I thought it was a cute motel, but it made me remember why I almost always find it "worth it" to stay in a nicer hotel. I usually stay onsite but I was miffed with Disney for making the hotel prices so outrageous even though they were far from full. I pay less at Christmas than what they were charging.

Last edited by a moderator:
This comment caught my attention. You say you booked and paid for a premium room (which didn't sound all that premium by your description). One of the touted perks on the website is late (2 PM) checkout with a premium room. This was not true?
The manager called it a premium room but it was actually a deluxe because I just checked. It was the step between standard and premium.

The manager called it a premium room but it was actually a deluxe because I just checked. It was the step between standard and premium.

Thanks. I was curious because despite your review I am still considering trying them out again sometime in the next year for one night, and that 2 PM checkout was one of the reasons why. I too have gotten a really lousy noisy room at that hotel before, but I have also had some ok experiences. Looking back at my notes though, it seems that it's been over 7 years since I last stayed at the Candy Cane.

I always request rooms in the 120's because they are on the shuttle side, further back but not too far back (for trying to limit distance)I've been a CCI fan for many years. I appreciate CCI's friendly service, the free shuttle, and the $10 return discount is nice too. I love their very soft beds (I always bring my own pillow so that's not a concern of mine).

I do have to agree the last time I stayed there, this Spring, the room did seem darkish and the carpet old and stained. Not dirty just old and stained. I would prefer a hot breakfast to the continental offerings--some of which (donuts for example) did not look all that fresh. As far as the shutter blinds, for me they are hard to get closed completely at night! There's always some light coming in.

As a fun FYI, ask for a pen and they will give you a Candy Cane shaped pen (yes it does say CCI on it but still cute) I had Goofy autograph a postcard using one of these pens and he pretended to take a bite of the "candy" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter