Renting Points 11 Months Out

I have had excellent luck with David's both times I've rented points. I put in my request at 11 months on each occasion. The first time was for a studio at VGC in Disneyland over spring break in April and the second was also for a studio at GFV in November. Both are allegedly hard to secure but I had my answer for both within 24 hours. It can happen!

I put in my request in December with a points broker for the Poly (Studio Lake View) for a planned stay Jan 1 to 6, 2018. I know that today is the first day DVC owners could possibly make their bookings, but I am still super excited that I am within the window and will hopefully have a real reservation soon. Does anyone have experience with how close to the 11 month booking window the broker might have points available to rent?

Were you successful in getting the rental you wanted?

I used a broker for my upcoming BWV Studio in October, and I did hear back from them exactly 11 months out.

I was waiting almost a month with a broker to get a rental at the Poly for the end of October. I put my request in at exactly 11 months out. Eventually, I found a member here on the boards to rent to me, and withdrew my reservation request from the broker.

I am excited! But obtaining the reservation was more difficult than I anticipated.
Pretty much what happened to me. Renting through individuals ended up being (ironically) much more convenient.

It's really not that ironic.

As a private party, someone can get $15-16 per point for Poly. Brokers will pay $13ish for that point in home resort.

For a 100-point rental, that's $200-300 in pocket.

It's really not that ironic.

As a private party, someone can get $15-16 per point for Poly. Brokers will pay $13ish for that point in home resort.

For a 100-point rental, that's $200-300 in pocket.
Right, but you pay more at the broker for the "convenience" of them contacting the owner and taking financial responsibility, but because they aren't nearly as competitive when it comes to paying the owners, you can potentially end up in a "wait and see" mode for weeks or months.

Right, but you pay more at the broker for the "convenience" of them contacting the owner and taking financial responsibility, but because they aren't nearly as competitive when it comes to paying the owners, you can potentially end up in a "wait and see" mode for weeks or months.
Right, but as a private owner, if I charge the same $16 per point they charge in home resort, I am pocketing $3 more per point. As a renter, you pay the same.

Is it possible to rent any DVC points for any resorts seven months out? We often can't plan our trips too far in advance

I requested 6 nights at the Poly through DVC rental store at 8 months out and got a reservation confirmed about a week later. I'm sure it depends on the time of year (we are going 1 week after Easter for reference) and where you want to stay.

I requested 6 nights at the Poly through DVC rental store at 8 months out and got a reservation confirmed about a week later. I'm sure it depends on the time of year (we are going 1 week after Easter for reference) and where you want to stay.
From January through mid-September, with a few exception dates, is DVC low season. Most resorts, with some individual room type exceptions, are far easier to get.

From late September through marathon is DVC high season. If you want to book a week in October right now, you're looking at availability at Saratoga, OKW and AKV; Poly is still open. It points are hard to come by as a renter many seasons. The first two weeks in December are the highest DVC demand weeks of the year. Most resorts also book up before the 7 month window open for marathon weekend, the first weekend in January. Last year, even Saratoga had "holes" in availability leading up to marathon by 8AM at 7 months.

Last edited:
I put in a request through Dave's the night before the 11 month window opened up. I got a confirmation the next afternoon and will be staying at the poly sept 17th thru 23rd. It happened very fast for me, less than 24 hours I had my reservation.

I put in a request in mid January for BLT in late October with the DVC Rental Store. It took about 4 days, but we are booked! Great experience, and I really liked their no deposit to start the process, as well as their cancellation insurance.

I put in a request for Poly for August a few days ago, and within 24 hours I received the booking confirmation. This is the first time I am renting points, and so far so good. I used DVC Rental Store, and they have a great cancellation insurance.

Davids has not been able to secure 4 requests for me in the last 2 years. Always end up with "availability" but then no points and someone books before I get points. I'm in a queue for points for Poly for 11mos out through DVC rental. They have "availability" but no points. And Poly is my 4th choice! I'm actually debating bailing on it because of the hassle. I pay roughly the same oop with discounted gc if I do wdw direct. I'm not comfortable with renting through a private seller as of yet so I have a backup res through WDW.

Last edited:
Poly points are hard to come by for rentals.

Consider:
  1. A lot of Poly owners are new. They want to use their points! They did just pay for them, after all.
  2. A lot of Poly owners bought smaller contracts to use on bank-and-borrow. Combined with 1, that means they don't have spare points to rent.
  3. Everyone is doing the math and going goo-goo over "I can save so much on DVC rental!!!!" and requesting Poly.
There just aren't a lot of home resort points being rented. For fall, I know several of the brokers are looking for 15k+ points to book all the requests they have. Once 7 months hits for fall, very few of those broker rental requests will score into Poly on a 7-month booking due to most of those swapping out at 8AM by other owners at other resorts snapping them up.

Poly's more doable at 7 months in low season.

Every broker is working with the same room availability. The difference between brokers is the owner availability -- what owners are working with what brokers, willing to book on points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter