• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting a pool home

We just got back from a house in Sunset Lakes. It was incredibly close to Animal Kingdom (we went to Animal Kingdom Lodge for breakfast at Boma one morning) using the Sherbeth Road shortcut.

The owner was excellent to deal with and kept in communication. We paid $100 per night total during Christmas week (didn't get pool heat because I knew we wouldn't use it). He advised me that he could make a better deal during times that weren't considered high time.

The house had 5BR/4BA and was backed up to a lake. It had a private screended pool, a pool table, air hockey, and foosball. It also came with strollers, etc. if anybody needed them.

The house had two master suites and 3 other bedrooms (with either two twins or a twin and a bunkbed - some were Disney themed).

They have a management company that handled problems. When we arrived, we turned the heat up (it was very cold in FL that week) and left for dinner. When we got back, it hadn't heated up at all. We called the owner who told us to contact the management company (this was about 10 p.m. on a Saturday night). They had somebody out to the house quickly to fix the problem. We were very pleased with the service.

You really only paid $100/night? That is an extremely low price for a house that big. We stayed at Romancing the Mouse for $180/night in Windwor Hills. Going to stay at Emerald Island in 2013 at Puff's Vacation Home and it's $179/night plus tax.

You really only paid $100/night? That is an extremely low price for a house that big. We stayed at Romancing the Mouse for $180/night in Windwor Hills. Going to stay at Emerald Island in 2013 at Puff's Vacation Home and it's $179/night plus tax.

Our 5 bedroom pool home was only $625/week(Indian Creek), so around $90/night. It was amazing, backed to a natural area, had a game room, nice pool, open kitchen/living room with bar. We got to the parks in no time. We really couldn't ask for more. It's only me,a friend and DS and his friend this year but we're still renting this house again:thumbsup2

http://www.vrbo.com/229838

Yep, I really did (total cost including tax, etc.)! :goodvibes

My son-in-law wanted to fish, and we were backed right up to the lake. He fished a total of 15 minutes... :rolleyes1 :laughing:

That particular owner also has a house at Emerald Island. I was very impressed with the owner too. We arrived on a Saturday night and found the house to be a little cool. We turned the heat up and left to get dinner. It was still cool when we got back. The owner called the service people and had them out there in no time (I'm sure it cost him a small fortune considering it was about 10 p.m. by then, but he didn't waste any time). Turned out that the compressor was out, but the repairman (who was very nice and professional) handled it as quickly as he could. I would stay there again in a hearbeat. :)

Sunset Lakes and Indian Creek are definitely less expensive than Windsor Hills and Emerald Island. They are both older and a little more of a mixed bag as far as the quality of the homes and upkeep. Indian Creek feels more like a neighborhood than a resort.
But $100/night is still a great deal. We spent 2 weeks in a 5 bedroom in Indian Creek this past June and paid about $140/night including taxes. We were very happy with it.

We have stayed at Windsor hills and Indian Creek and love both places. At IC we always rent Happiness House(a 4 bed/3 bath one) and paid $869 for 1 week in October!

Can I just say that two weeks in a pool home is my DREAM vacation. But DH, unless it was for medical leave, DH could never get that much time off :(

Can I just say that two weeks in a pool home is my DREAM vacation. But DH, unless it was for medical leave, DH could never get that much time off :(

We took a few years off from WDW and I hardly took any vacation time in 2010, so luckily I had extra to spare for our two week 2011 trip. :)

It was our longest vacation ever and it was definitely more relaxing than our previous WDW trips. Having 2 weeks made it easy to do everything at the parks and still have time to sleep in and relax.

We rented through vrbo.com in 2009. The house we rented was called the Emerald Palace in EI. I think you can google it and the owner has a seperate website from VRBO.

It was four bedrooms, three baths, with a pool that had an enclosure around it (or course) as well as another fence to keep kids out.

The owner was so nice to work with and even sent gifts four our kids before we left. The house was perfect and we would be staying there this year, except we have less people going so we needed a cheaper option. I think we paid $165 a night and comfortable slept seven people.

This year we are staying in Windsor Hills in a townhome with a splash pool. Only three bedrooms this time. I just love having out own place to spread out and we will always rent a home when we visit the Orlando area.

We have used Loyalty Homes twice. The homes we stayed in were located in the Indian Ridge Subdivision. It was maybe a 10 minute drive to get to WDW. Both of our homes were 4 bedroom, 2 bath, pool. All their homes have names. We have stayed in Cinderella Castle and King Tritons. We were very happy with them and used them as friends referred us to them. It is not a gated community, but we never felt unsafe.

Yep, I really did (total cost including tax, etc.)! :goodvibes

My son-in-law wanted to fish, and we were backed right up to the lake. He fished a total of 15 minutes... :rolleyes1 :laughing:

That particular owner also has a house at Emerald Island. I was very impressed with the owner too. We arrived on a Saturday night and found the house to be a little cool. We turned the heat up and left to get dinner. It was still cool when we got back. The owner called the service people and had them out there in no time (I'm sure it cost him a small fortune considering it was about 10 p.m. by then, but he didn't waste any time). Turned out that the compressor was out, but the repairman (who was very nice and professional) handled it as quickly as he could. I would stay there again in a hearbeat. :)

Did you say already who this owner was or did I miss it?

We are sending in our deposit on Nana & Pop's Magical villa! It is in Indian Creek. We are going to DW in December. First time as a family and we are taking grandparents from both sides of the family with us. We should have a lot of fun.

We have rented at Lindfields Maria's Sunny Retreat 3 times. The owners are very nice and available. It is a 4 brm vills not far from AKL. The pool is so pvt , it's almost heavenly.

We've rented homes several times also. Everything from 4-7 bedrooms. I have used vrbo for all renting and found it very affordable. We've stayed in Windsor Palms, Indian Ridge Oaks, Emerald Isle, Lake Berkely. All were great. You have to first decide what is important to you - games room in garage, hot tub, themed kids rooms, bed configuration......... Once this is all ironed out you start emailing owners. I thing 3500 per week is too high for a 4 bedroom but of course this might be for a gorgeous home. Every single home we have rented has been clean, bright and lovely. There were certainly odd little issues but there will be a management company you call for those. Stay in the neighborhoods off Old Lake Wilson Road. Great access to all kinds of restaurants and shopping on 192 and you can see the Tree of Life from the road - its that close. Learn to use Sherbeth Road to get over to the parks avoiding 192 where possible. Get a South facing pool!

We loved renting homes when the kids were little. Nothing like putting kids to bed and have a little swim and drink on the lanai. Bring a suitcase of household items. Sounds crazy but these items are inflated in price at the stores around these houses, you most likely wont need an entire pack of certain things, and you can save quite a bit bringing along dishwasher pucks, bounce sheets, baggies, food wrap, bars of soap, tea bags, ...........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter