Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose I am in the minority but I actually kinda like the concept art - especially the different heights to the sections and the angled roofs, and the wooded slats on the underside of the welcome coverings

it all gives me an "Urban Tree House" vibe - and I am usually one to pooh pooh these designs

It reminds me a lot of Hix House and the W Hotel in Vieques, so I'm on-board!

Just wondering if anyone has seen an expected start date for land clearing/construction?

Interesting that it's going to be both resort and DVC. I like the Lodge and the location (edited to add I know its at River Country) and while I won't be buying more points any time soon, I'm looking forward to watching this develop. I'm not bothered by the picture. While it does look somewhat generic but I feel like they kind of have to do that this far out.

If they can get it to be similar to Village Nature Paris, even partially, I'm in. I'm not a huge fan of the building the water park is in, but the other buildings, with the meld of architecture and greenery and plants, are pretty cool. If they could do something similar here, it could work. And if they had some of the cool water park features, that would be great too.

I should say this is a new stand alone resort with a DVC component much like Boardwalk or Beach Club.
Wow... and we were told so often (in the not so distant past) that Disney would never build a new non DVC resort because of the infrastructure costs...or build any stand alone dvc... or build any stand alone resort.......huh....

They will never match Waldorf and Four Seasons in certain categories, but these (this one, Coronado and Riviera) have that current look lately it seems.

Although my guess is the Star Wars Hotel will be a bit more themed even on the outside.

Not sure about the zoning issue, but it may be a tax break issue. taxes are what stopped the latest hotel at Disneyland.
As far as space is concerned, they have plenty of space where the offsite parking is located.
Could be wrong but didn’t this get hung up in the whole Disney labor issue?

What in the world is 'nature' themed anyways? I'm all for new and exciting resorts, but I feel like 'nature' theme is already so close to what FW and WL are? I mean I'm glad they're not doing something crazy that wouldn't fit in with the environment, but I'm curious how this is going to be themed that differently from the other two resorts next to it.
Nature will be what you experience when you look out your window and go outside.

The concept art looks underwhelming to me... but the demand must be there for these and im sure the hotels make more than the parks... but disney needs to be careful. The parks are the reason they can set these prices so high for a glorified timeshare. Once epcot is fixed up i want to see a 5th gate!
I think that they are building to a certain mass of resorts to see if they can build a high enough level of occupancy that might warrant a 5th gate. But then again there is always the on-site off-site arguementvthat says the on-site occupancy doesn’t really impact this discussion.

In Mason City, Iowa, the last remaining Frank Lloyd Wright hotel stands, the Historic Park Inn. It has been completely renovated and it is one of my happy places in Iowa.

If they go something that route, I'm good with it. Maybe they could go talk to the Historic Park Inn people because they did a pretty great job.

I really am interested to see what happens when the next recession hits. Will they just close off full sections of hotels and say they are being refurbished. While the economy is growing and they have new rides/lands plus the 50th coming, things are great and the hotels are at near capacity.
What happens though, after Star Wars is 5 years old and and the 50th is gone plus the economy hits a snag. Didn’t they almost shut down Port Orleans permanently after 9-11.
As far as the resort, I like it and it could be my entry into DVC if it’s done right. Love Ft Wilderness, but the wife will never allow me to get an rv, so this might be the solution.

So funny I thought the same thing when I seen it on the other site. Mentioned it there but no one said anything. I think it very much looks like it. We stayed at Davy Crockets when it was being built and accidentally drove over there when we got lost. It is definitely not that "Great Outdoors" type of nature we think of in the states, but it definitely has a neat spin to it.

I really am interested to see what happens when the next recession hits. Will they just close off full sections of hotels and say they are being refurbished. While the economy is growing and they have new rides/lands plus the 50th coming, things are great and the hotels are at near capacity.
What happens though, after Star Wars is 5 years old and and the 50th is gone plus the economy hits a snag. Didn’t they almost shut down Port Orleans permanently after 9-11.
As far as the resort, I like it and it could be my entry into DVC if it’s done right. Love Ft Wilderness, but the wife will never allow me to get an rv, so this might be the solution.

Yea but alternative is not growing while they can. Like you say, shut down POR (or whatever hotel/wings they want)-then open back up after the recovery.

DVC brings folks back, cash rooms are much harder.

I’m DVC but LOVE fort wilderness and would tent camp there in a heartbeat if DH would even consider it. When I heard there might be a DVC near by that pays homage to Fort Wilderness and allowed quick access, I was all over it and DH and I already even agreed to add-on there. Until I saw that concept art. Now I’m much less certain. How could they have done copper creek so well and then completely missed the mark on this design?? I sure hope this is in very rough draft form and will be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter