Redweek--level of trust?

Miffy

DIS Veteran
I've never rented from RedWeek before, but there's a listing there that fits with my travel plans and the price is great. However, this isn't one of the "Redweek Verified" listings, so I'm a bit nervous about it, since there's a no-refund policy at RedWeek, and since I'd be dealing directly with the owner--as I understand it . . . well, I'm worried and thinking that maybe spending another several hundred dollars would be worth it instead of being worried!

If anyone has any info about this sort of thing, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

How can the person renting trust you?

Here is some advice from Tugbbs.

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare_rental_verification.html
In the end, the communication you have as you conduct the transaction should go a long way to alleviating any concerns.

I remember renting my first timeshare about 12 years ago. I was nervous. Now I have done it more than 30 times and saved a bundle and stayed at great accommodations.

I've never rented from RedWeek before, but there's a listing there that fits with my travel plans and the price is great. However, this isn't one of the "Redweek Verified" listings, so I'm a bit nervous about it, since there's a no-refund policy at RedWeek, and since I'd be dealing directly with the owner--as I understand it . . . well, I'm worried and thinking that maybe spending another several hundred dollars would be worth it instead of being worried!

If anyone has any info about this sort of thing, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!
You can buy independent trip insurance if that helps

How can the person renting trust you?

Here is some advice from Tugbbs.

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare_rental_verification.html
In the end, the communication you have as you conduct the transaction should go a long way to alleviating any concerns.

I remember renting my first timeshare about 12 years ago. I was nervous. Now I have done it more than 30 times and saved a bundle and stayed at great accommodations.

In answer to how can the person renting trust me--they get paid in advance, in full. I suppose they could be worried that I'm renting from them for the purpose of destroying the rental property, but that's quite far-fetched. It's far far far more likely that I'm renting from them in order to have a resort room to stay in on my vacation.

I've read a lot on the boards about rental transactions, but I wanted to know specifically about RedWeek.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a multitude of what-ifs racing through my mind vis-a-vis this kind of rental, which perhaps means that I should stay away!

I had the same concerns as you, but decided to go ahead anyway. I’ve actually rented twice from RedWeek and no issues each time. What helped ease my mind a little was that the communication between the renters was very professional and I just had a ‘gut feeling’ that they were trustworthy. In the end only you will know if you’d be comfortable or not, but just wanted to share my previous experiences.

I had the same concerns as you, but decided to go ahead anyway. I’ve actually rented twice from RedWeek and no issues each time. What helped ease my mind a little was that the communication between the renters was very professional and I just had a ‘gut feeling’ that they were trustworthy. In the end only you will know if you’d be comfortable or not, but just wanted to share my previous experiences.
Thank you, Tryxie. I'm still mulling it over. I'll post again when/if we make a decision.

You could always have that one bad experience. I've done eight successful rentals on the site that I've been very happy with (four Orlando and four other areas). I like timeshare condo rentals better than VRBO rentals as there is consistency of units, furnishing, amenities, and lots of reviews on sites like TUG2.net. The owners who I spoke with on all eight were just great and so easy to work with. Like the other poster, they just seemed very trustworthy. I know that is not any great assurance.

It's more expensive, but retail rentals are also available for the same properties (usually maid service and much higher cost, but available). Also, You pay more and they aren't IMHO as nice as the timeshare condos, but a place like a Residence Inn is always an option and very nice if you are uncomfortable taking the additional risks of renting from an individual. These higher priced options have a refundable option too if you think plans could change and can start any day, unlike lots of the timeshare rentals that are Fri-Fri, Sat.-Sat., or Sun-Sun. usually. I've done these other higher cost options for shorter stays.

This thread title made me :rotfl2: red week means something COMPLETELY different in my house :cheer2::bride::hippie::tink:

While I have never personally utilized RedWeek, I have used VRBO countless times, and have recently booked with Ken Price with VacationUpgrades. I also rented DVC points for our last trip. You will know, once you interact with the owner and read through all of the paperwork, whether you are comfortable moving forward. Don’t sign a thing until you have all of your questions answered and feel comfortable, and you always have the option of purchasing insurance.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. DH and I decided we're not going away after all, but this is good information for the next time I'm planning a vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!