Recently diagnosed going to Disney in 24 days

akayek31

DIS Veteran
Good evening. I was diagnosed on Monday with Type II diabetes. We are headed to Disney on March 2-10th with the Quick Service plan. I am still in a little bit of shock. My doctor said I did not need to keep up with my numbers and put me on Metformin (sp) for it. No insulin needed just changing the way I eat and exercise. On the QS plan we get snacks and alcohol with the plan. I know that I need to stay away from alcohol. But is there a web site for eating at Disney with Type II or something like that? Are there any links on here for answers to questions like this? TIA.

There are several posters with diabetes, or family members with diabetes. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Have you discussed the trip with your medical provider? S/He May have recommendations as well.

We didn’t have a trip that quickly after diagnosis, so DH had time to adjust medications and get used to diet. Some suggestions:
  • WDW portions are often large, maybe share if you have a travel companion willing to share.
  • If not, forget what your mom taught you about eating everything on your plate; it’s ok to leave some behind.
  • Order a side salad instead of fries, or steamed veggies in place of mashed potatoes.
  • Watch sauces, scrape some off if you can.
  • Limit desserts and treats. Or share one.
  • Avoid alcohol.
  • Consider eating multiple smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3 big meals.
  • Be aware that with all the walking you’ll do around the parks will offset some of the unhealthy eating, so you don’t have to be super strict.
Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for the information! I forgot to tell my doctor I was going. I use a scooter at Disney because of knee, back, and foot issues so I will need to be strict. I was told horror stories about the meds so I am going to begin them Friday since I am off work all weekend. I lost 60 pounds in 2015 to get off the scooter and it was fabulous to walk. I fell off an exercise bike and gained almost a hundred pounds back. I can’t wait to leave it behind again!!

Did your doctor recommend a meal plan? Since your doctor doesn't think you need to track numbers (which is nuts in my totally unqualified opinion - you should learn what various carbs do to your blood glucose levels and whether some foods impact you more than others), you could start with just limiting the number of carbs you eat at a time. Carbs, not just sugar, are what impact your levels. It is not hard find good choices when you are eating out - almost every restaurant has a meat and non-starchy vegetable option or a way that you can substitute for a non-starchy vegetable. Worst case, there is a salad (not my favorite, usually).

For me, I do better when I limit rather than cut out a certain food, but others would rather do without. If I want a burger, I either order it without a bun, eat only half the bun, or put it on a low carb wrap. If I want dessert, I order a dessert and try to just eat a bite or two. Along those lines, if you are a drinker, just make good alcohol choices. Avoid mixers with sugar, and if you like beer, choose Michelob Ultra or another low carb beer. You can google the number of carbs in alcohols (well, in just about anything) to see which are better than others.

When you catch your breath, check out https://www.bloodsugar101.com/. This site is really on-target, IMO. I find many doctors and older people (especially) think diabetics need to stay away from sugar, but that isn't enough to actually manage the disease.

Did your doctor recommend a meal plan? Since your doctor doesn't think you need to track numbers (which is nuts in my totally unqualified opinion - you should learn what various carbs do to your blood glucose levels and whether some foods impact you more than others), you could start with just limiting the number of carbs you eat at a time. Carbs, not just sugar, are what impact your levels. It is not hard find good choices when you are eating out - almost every restaurant has a meat and non-starchy vegetable option or a way that you can substitute for a non-starchy vegetable. Worst case, there is a salad (not my favorite, usually).

For me, I do better when I limit rather than cut out a certain food, but others would rather do without. If I want a burger, I either order it without a bun, eat only half the bun, or put it on a low carb wrap. If I want dessert, I order a dessert and try to just eat a bite or two. Along those lines, if you are a drinker, just make good alcohol choices. Avoid mixers with sugar, and if you like beer, choose Michelob Ultra or another low carb beer. You can google the number of carbs in alcohols (well, in just about anything) to see which are better than others.

When you catch your breath, check out https://www.bloodsugar101.com/. This site is really on-target, IMO. I find many doctors and older people (especially) think diabetics need to stay away from sugar, but that isn't enough to actually manage the disease.

Thank you so much for this information. My cousin (who's mom and my aunt) and my best friend are diabetic. My best friend is on the pump and eats whatever she wants and my aunt is Type II and eats horribly. But my cousin and best friend say that I need to get the glucose meter anyway. I am going to look at Walmart and see because half of my vacation this past September/October I spent most of the day in the room because I didn't feel well or wanted to sleep. I should have seen this coming. I want to enjoy this one with my family.

Thank you so much for this information. My cousin (who's mom and my aunt) and my best friend are diabetic. My best friend is on the pump and eats whatever she wants and my aunt is Type II and eats horribly. But my cousin and best friend say that I need to get the glucose meter anyway. I am going to look at Walmart and see because half of my vacation this past September/October I spent most of the day in the room because I didn't feel well or wanted to sleep. I should have seen this coming. I want to enjoy this one with my family.
Walmart has a cheep meter rolion or something like this I think the meter is $15-$25 and the test strips for 50 are like $10. There have been reports that there is someone selling fake strip on amazon so be careful if you do Amazon. Yes I would start to test your glucose to see where you are. For the most part carbs raise glucose some faster then other and knowing what raise your glucose will help you out. ( you can test before you eat then 2 hours after to see where you are) pick one meal and test before and after that meal for a week and write down what you eat and the carbs for that meal You can down load the book calories king and have a good idea of what carbs are in what food ( and no Disney will not tell you this ) doing things like the PP said and taking the bun off a hamburger or ordering a salid instead of fries and so on can really help.

Walmart has a cheep meter rolion or something like this I think the meter is $15-$25 and the test strips for 50 are like $10. There have been reports that there is someone selling fake strip on amazon so be careful if you do Amazon. Yes I would start to test your glucose to see where you are. For the most part carbs raise glucose some faster then other and knowing what raise your glucose will help you out. ( you can test before you eat then 2 hours after to see where you are) pick one meal and test before and after that meal for a week and write down what you eat and the carbs for that meal You can down load the book calories king and have a good idea of what carbs are in what food ( and no Disney will not tell you this ) doing things like the PP said and taking the bun off a hamburger or ordering a salid instead of fries and so on can really help.

The pharmacist said when I picked up the meds that I needed a prescription for all of this to go on my insurance. I do have a healthcare savings account. Can I buy the meter with that?

You do not Ned an RX to buy a meter I have never had a HSA so I do not know

An Rx is only needed if you intend to utilize your prescription insurance coverage. If you intend to pay out-of-pocket, you can certainly use an HSA or a medical FSA. Just be sure to keep the receipts as documentation.

DH has always received a meter for free - either from the doctor directly or from the pharmacy with a script. It's the strips that add up costly over time, and the manufacturers know that which is why they give the meters free (because then you'll have to buy their strips). I have heard that Walmart has a low-cost meter and supplies, but we've never bought or used it.

Honestly, though, if you want to test -- go back and talk to your doctor. Even having a family member or friend with diabetes, YOU should receive training and information directly and specific to your situation. It sounds like your friend is T1, or severe T2 if using a pump; she is likely treating differently than you would at this point with a new T2 diagnosis and just metformin. She can eat pretty much anything she wants because she will dose her insulin appropriately for what she ate. Your doctor wants to try diet modification so you will need to be much more aware of how you eat. While both T1 and T2 are "diabetes mellitis" - and a newly diagnosed T2 probably should not be doing the same as a long-time T1.

Ask your doctor about a diabetes education class, or at least an appointment with a nutritionist. Whether you can get that fit in before your trip or just after you return, it will help you better understand and manage the condition.

Enjoy your vacation!

An Rx is only needed if you intend to utilize your prescription insurance coverage. If you intend to pay out-of-pocket, you can certainly use an HSA or a medical FSA. Just be sure to keep the receipts as documentation.

DH has always received a meter for free - either from the doctor directly or from the pharmacy with a script. It's the strips that add up costly over time, and the manufacturers know that which is why they give the meters free (because then you'll have to buy their strips). I have heard that Walmart has a low-cost meter and supplies, but we've never bought or used it.

Honestly, though, if you want to test -- go back and talk to your doctor. Even having a family member or friend with diabetes, YOU should receive training and information directly and specific to your situation. It sounds like your friend is T1, or severe T2 if using a pump; she is likely treating differently than you would at this point with a new T2 diagnosis and just metformin. She can eat pretty much anything she wants because she will dose her insulin appropriately for what she ate. Your doctor wants to try diet modification so you will need to be much more aware of how you eat. While both T1 and T2 are "diabetes mellitis" - and a newly diagnosed T2 probably should not be doing the same as a long-time T1.

Ask your doctor about a diabetes education class, or at least an appointment with a nutritionist. Whether you can get that fit in before your trip or just after you return, it will help you better understand and manage the condition.

Enjoy your vacation!
This- she is 100%spot on. I can’t stress enough diabetic eduction classes and nutritionist!! Also most insurance companies (private and government funded) have case management or disease management programs that offer great advice and have registered dietitiansThis is not a substitute for a good diabetic education class but added support. What you eat a Disney should be no different than any other day. Make good food choices, more veggies and less carbs (potatoes,pasta, chips etc) plenty of water or no calorie drinks ( water is always best) and an occasional sweet treat or dessert. Please drink alcohol in moderation, drink light beer (if your a beer drinker- less carbs and calories) and stay hydrated (dehydration increases blood sugar levels) Have fun and don’t stress too much. It takes time to make lifestyle changes

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you so much! I went to Wal Mart after work on Friday and bought all the stuff to test (except the dang pin shooter which I will get monday), My HSA covered it all. I believe my friend has T1. She has been on the pump or using shots as long as I have known her. I went to the grocery store Friday and it took over an hour to shop because I looked at every label. If it had to many carbs in it I put it back. I bought a lot of meat and veggies. I did by No Sugar Added Klondike bars so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out. We went to my part time job yesterday at Cracker Barrel and had lunch. I always get the carbs but got broccoli and beans even though I love the turnip greens with corn bread. I was eating rice already so no extra bread. My sugar was only 189 after that meal so I did good maybe. Last night my son in law cooked tacos so I just mixed up the meat, rice, tomatoes, and cheese and didn't use the tortilla because I wanted the rice (I know way too much rice in one day) and started my meds last night. Hopefully no side effects to come. It's hard to make a lifestyle change but my granddaughter and kids make it worth it. I am not going to make myself miserable on vacation and go without sweets. I love the tye dye cheesecake at Pop. I will have one for the trip and be happy. I usually don't drink alcohol much but we have the dining plan so it comes with it. I may just get bottle water every meal since they are almost as much :). I will be getting at least one grey goose slushy and frozen margarita but I can share that with my daughter (she is 22). Thanks again!

This- she is 100%spot on. I can’t stress enough diabetic eduction classes and nutritionist!! Also most insurance companies (private and government funded) have case management or disease management programs that offer great advice and have registered dietitiansThis is not a substitute for a good diabetic education class but added support. What you eat a Disney should be no different than any other day. Make good food choices, more veggies and less carbs (potatoes,pasta, chips etc) plenty of water or no calorie drinks ( water is always best) and an occasional sweet treat or dessert. Please drink alcohol in moderation, drink light beer (if your a beer drinker- less carbs and calories) and stay hydrated (dehydration increases blood sugar levels) Have fun and don’t stress too much. It takes time to make lifestyle changes

Thank you! I am going to call my insurance company on Monday and see if they have a class I can go to. I hate regular coke and always drink diet. I quit drinking it for 2 years when I lost 60 pounds before I had a gym accident and fell and shattered my wrist and gained it and 35 pounds back. I am going to try to quit again but it will probably be after Disney. Thanks again for the advice.

Thank you so much! I went to Wal Mart after work on Friday and bought all the stuff to test (except the dang pin shooter which I will get monday), My HSA covered it all. I believe my friend has T1. She has been on the pump or using shots as long as I have known her. I went to the grocery store Friday and it took over an hour to shop because I looked at every label. If it had to many carbs in it I put it back. I bought a lot of meat and veggies. I did by No Sugar Added Klondike bars so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out. We went to my part time job yesterday at Cracker Barrel and had lunch. I always get the carbs but got broccoli and beans even though I love the turnip greens with corn bread. I was eating rice already so no extra bread. My sugar was only 189 after that meal so I did good maybe. Last night my son in law cooked tacos so I just mixed up the meat, rice, tomatoes, and cheese and didn't use the tortilla because I wanted the rice (I know way too much rice in one day) and started my meds last night. Hopefully no side effects to come. It's hard to make a lifestyle change but my granddaughter and kids make it worth it. I am not going to make myself miserable on vacation and go without sweets. I love the tye dye cheesecake at Pop. I will have one for the trip and be happy. I usually don't drink alcohol much but we have the dining plan so it comes with it. I may just get bottle water every meal since they are almost as much :). I will be getting at least one grey goose slushy and frozen margarita but I can share that with my daughter (she is 22). Thanks again!

You really should check with your doctor about the alcohol and the cheesecake.

Myfitnesspal is a good aid to tell you the carb levels and calories of your foods. They even have fast food info included. You do a search under food.

I would think vegetarian when visiting Disney. Salads, as long as, you don't go crazy on the dressing is a good choice. Disney has veggie burgers; just use half the bread or no bread. We find the table service buffets to be a good choice, as long as, you pick wisely and you don't overeat. A simple rule is stay away from any fried foods. Stay away from pasta and pizza. Drink water and more water instead of soda, etc. You can buy zero calorie flavoring packets for your water.

Maybe, you can park the scooter at times and walk some without hurting. Exercise can help.

We alternate rides and shows. Getting a rest at a show helps us get more out of our day.

A couple more suggestions- take everything with a grain of salt and assume positive intent but no two diabetics are alike and there are some people that do not manage well that will tell you incorrect information ( the comments and suggestions here have all been very good)
Make sure you are waiting 2 hours after eating to test your blood sugars and 189 is high so make sure you you ask your doctor where he wants your blood sugar to be (typically 70-120)
Watch no sugar added items. They have natural sugars and sugar alcohols plus added fillers. A lot of times they have just as many carbs as the real thing.
Your right-lifestyle changes are hard and it will not happen overnight. Celebrate your accomplishments and it’s easy to get back on track if you fall off.
My fitness pal is an excellent tracker. We used to use it religiously but after a while you will be confident. Good luck and have fun at Disney and Bete is right. Exercise as much as you are able. It will make a huge difference in managing your diabetes. ( even an afternoon swim in the pool!!!!)

Myfitnesspal is a good aid to tell you the carb levels and calories of your foods. They even have fast food info included. You do a search under food.

I would think vegetarian when visiting Disney. Salads, as long as, you don't go crazy on the dressing is a good choice. Disney has veggie burgers; just use half the bread or no bread. We find the table service buffets to be a good choice, as long as, you pick wisely and you don't overeat. A simple rule is stay away from any fried foods. Stay away from pasta and pizza. Drink water and more water instead of soda, etc. You can buy zero calorie flavoring packets for your water.

Maybe, you can park the scooter at times and walk some without hurting. Exercise can help.

We alternate rides and shows. Getting a rest at a show helps us get more out of our day.
Thank you! I have used Myfitness pal many times. I love it. I am going to look into the flavor packets since we always go to walmart when we get to Disney.

A couple more suggestions- take everything with a grain of salt and assume positive intent but no two diabetics are alike and there are some people that do not manage well that will tell you incorrect information ( the comments and suggestions here have all been very good)
Make sure you are waiting 2 hours after eating to test your blood sugars and 189 is high so make sure you you ask your doctor where he wants your blood sugar to be (typically 70-120)
Watch no sugar added items. They have natural sugars and sugar alcohols plus added fillers. A lot of times they have just as many carbs as the real thing.
Your right-lifestyle changes are hard and it will not happen overnight. Celebrate your accomplishments and it’s easy to get back on track if you fall off.
My fitness pal is an excellent tracker. We used to use it religiously but after a while you will be confident. Good luck and have fun at Disney and Bete is right. Exercise as much as you are able. It will make a huge difference in managing your diabetes. ( even an afternoon swim in the pool!!!!)
That is a great idea! I just have to find a bathing suit that is not $100.

Thank you! I have used Myfitness pal many times. I love it. I am going to look into the flavor packets since we always go to walmart when we get to Disney.

Don't get the flavor packets with artificial sweeteners - as tinkerjo stated, artificial sweeteners can mess up a type II diabetic just as much as sugar and alcohol.

Type I - pancreas does not make insulin. Insulin can be injected to solve the issue, but has to be done carefully and pretty precisely.

Type II - body has become immune to insulin - insulin resistant is commonly used term. So carbs need to be very, very carefully monitored and kept low. Good news is that some people can lose enough weight to reverse the condition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter