Recent polls about "Millenials"

So, in the past week, I have heard of two recent polls about Millenials, and here is what they concluded:

Poll #1: 1/3 of Millenials believe the earth is flat

Poll #2: 41% of Millenials have NO idea that 6 Million Jews were killed during the Holocaust

Discuss...

Personally, I just can't come to grips with this actually being true. I might be in serious denial about how little people are learning in school nowadays, but also, how is Poll #1 even REMOTELY plausible????

What the polls really said. Lots of Millenials like snark.

As a millennial myself (1982-2000), I have a pretty difficult time believing the validity of these polls.

I think a lot of people like to give horrible answers on polls, so I really don't think these are true.

I know this is off topic and can cause a debate, however, millennial dates are 1982-1995 (6). Basically, the argument is if you can remember 9/11 in the 199? then you are a millennial. Most kids born 1996 -2000 don't remember what happen on that date. 1996 is considered a gray area and someone born in that year can be considered millennial or generation Z. This is a hot topic in our house because we have teenagers and their friends hate to be lumped into the millennial generation.

I think a lot of people like to give horrible answers on polls, so I really don't think these are true.

I know this is off topic and can cause a debate, however, millennial dates are 1982-1995 (6). Basically, the argument is if you can remember 9/11 in the 199? then you are a millennial. Most kids born 1996 -2000 don't remember what happen on that date. 1996 is considered a gray area and someone born in that year can be considered millennial or generation Z. This is a hot topic in our house because we have teenagers and their friends hate to be lumped into the millennial generation.
Oh it doesn't matter to me. There were a couple age ranges, I picked what I thought was the median.

At least with Poll 2 (as I have not seen Poll 1):

1) The sample size was small. Anyone pulling statistics should know that there will be a lot of error when using that small of a sample size.
2) There is no way to verify the results. Were the people being polled telling the truth? I can honestly say with such odd poll questions that I may have laughed and answered the opposite of my actual beliefs/knowledge.
3) I have yet to see a real write up of exactly how the people chosen were picked or how the information was actually gathered.
4) "Self reporting" or polls are some of the worst ways to gather data because you lose a lot of control.

My question is who are the crazy writers of these polls and do they actually poll anyone or just make up garbage.

Those I know today who are 30 and younger are bright, astute, know much more about this world than I ever dreamed of, have many more friends of all backgrounds nationalities Etc and are so accepting of other people. I can assure you that schools are still teaching the Earth is round and that the Holocaust happened. Our high school takes a trip every other year to Germany to see the Holocaust monuments and museums.

And who are the gullible people that believe the polls are true?

I wish I could "like" this ten times.

I'd love to have an opportunity to discuss the moon with them. I'm thinking they likely believe the moon landing was faked, unless they simply think the description of the earth from space or the moon was faked for some reason. I'd also love to know if they think the moon is round or flat as well.

I was so morbidly fascinated w/ the "flat earth" theory, I looked into it, &, yes, the theorists have answers for it all - even the curvature of the horizon as seen from airplanes. And, basically, all of NASA & anything space-related is just a big lie. Earth is kind of a like a big, flat circle or disc. The ends of the earth are basically surrounded by Anarctica, & the sun & moon are relatively the same size & smaller than the earth. I can't remember whether or not they think the sun & moon are round though.

Our 2 older kids were born in 2000 & 2001, & they can't stand being lumped in w/ the millenials.

So, in the past week, I have heard of two recent polls about Millenials, and here is what they concluded:

Poll #1: 1/3 of Millenials believe the earth is flat

Poll #2: 41% of Millenials have NO idea that 6 Million Jews were killed during the Holocaust

Discuss...

Personally, I just can't come to grips with this actually being true. I might be in serious denial about how little people are learning in school nowadays, but also, how is Poll #1 even REMOTELY plausible????

Re: #2, it's quite disturbing -- and pathetic -- if this poll is at all legit (which it appears to be to me, since http://schoenconsulting.com is respected, I believe):
  • 22% of millennials in the poll said they haven’t heard of the Holocaust or are not sure whether they’ve heard of it — twice the percentage of U.S. adults as a whole who said the same.
  • 66% of American millennials surveyed in a recent poll cannot identify what Auschwitz is
  • 41% of millennials believe that two million Jews or less were killed during the Holocaust
  • 49% of millennials cannot name one of the over 40,000 concentration camps and ghettos in Europe during the Holocaust
WaPo article: "The study, conducted by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, interviewed 1,350 American adults in February and recruited by telephone and an online non-probability sample." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...owledge/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.34b115e97f1f

The study itself -- "Schoen Consulting conducted 1,350 interviews with American adults aged 18 and over between February 23 – 27, 2018. The margin of error is +/- 3%.": http://cc-69bd.kxcdn.com/wp-content...ge-Awareness-Study_Executive-Summary-2018.pdf

Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s a real poll. But, I think this type of thing does speak to what we were talking about on other threads of ppl doubting academia, research, experts, etc. I’m not saying all experts are always right, but I think all of this is a disturbing trend.

I really don't get why so many target the 'millenial' generation, or any other "us vs. them" type comments. We need to support each other not tear people down. Makes me sad.
The poll re: the holocaust interviewed adults of varying ages. It is legitimate to break down polling by generation, especially if what you are examining is whether younger generations are forgetting critical historical facts and thus perhaps more likely to have them repeated.

That's not an "us vs. them" -- that's a legitimate goal and issue to examine.

I don’t know if it’s a real poll. But, I think this type of thing does speak to what we were talking about on other threads of ppl doubting academia, research, experts, etc. I’m not saying all experts are always right, but I think all of this is a disturbing trend.
Agreed that this is a growing concern.

My two cents: rather than reflexively accept or reject polls, we should take some time to look into how solid they are if the issue is of any importance. That's what I try to do. :)

Re: #2, it's quite disturbing -- and pathetic -- if this poll is at all legit (which it appears to be to me, since http://schoenconsulting.com is respected, I believe):
  • 22% of millennials in the poll said they haven’t heard of the Holocaust or are not sure whether they’ve heard of it — twice the percentage of U.S. adults as a whole who said the same.
  • 66% of American millennials surveyed in a recent poll cannot identify what Auschwitz is
  • 41% of millennials believe that two million Jews or less were killed during the Holocaust
  • 49% of millennials cannot name one of the over 40,000 concentration camps and ghettos in Europe during the Holocaust
WaPo article: "The study, conducted by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, interviewed 1,350 American adults in February and recruited by telephone and an online non-probability sample." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...owledge/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.34b115e97f1f

The study itself -- "Schoen Consulting conducted 1,350 interviews with American adults aged 18 and over between February 23 – 27, 2018. The margin of error is +/- 3%.": http://cc-69bd.kxcdn.com/wp-content...ge-Awareness-Study_Executive-Summary-2018.pdf

Thanks for doing the legwork. I came across this information from articles I read from reputable sources, but I didn't look further into who conducted the polls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter