Recent polls about "Millenials"

As a millennial myself (1982-2000), I have a pretty difficult time believing the validity of these polls.

Agreed. If these do have any validity, they probably polled teenagers that are still in high school or younger aka not millennials. And I agree with the pp who said that it shows more about the education system than anything. And parenting. Kids don't end up this way just on their own, parents have a big influence :rolleyes1

Great news, there's more!
More seriously though, http://www.claimscon.org/study is the source on the holocaust study.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2018/04/02/most-flat-earthers-consider-themselves-religious/ is the source of the flat-earthing millenials - this article breaks it down pretty well: https://www.sciencealert.com/one-th...lat-earth-conspiracy-statistics-yougov-debunk

Also, open those sarcastic links at your own risk- I just grabbed headlines, no reading/fact checking, etc.

Agreed. If these do have any validity, they probably polled teenagers that are still in high school or younger aka not millennials. And I agree with the pp who said that it shows more about the education system than anything. And parenting. Kids don't end up this way just on their own, parents have a big influence :rolleyes1
The study itself -- "Schoen Consulting conducted 1,350 interviews with American adults aged 18 and over between February 23 – 27, 2018. The margin of error is +/- 3%.": http://cc-69bd.kxcdn.com/wp-content...ge-Awareness-Study_Executive-Summary-2018.pdf

The study itself -- "Schoen Consulting conducted 1,350 interviews with American adults aged 18 and over between February 23 – 27, 2018. The margin of error is +/- 3%.": http://cc-69bd.kxcdn.com/wp-content...ge-Awareness-Study_Executive-Summary-2018.pdf

Yeah I saw that after I posted but I still don't believe it. Where this study took place probably would tell a lot too. 1,350 is a very small percentage of people to be basing this whole report off of.

Yeah I saw that after I posted but I still don't believe it. Where this study took place probably would tell a lot too. 1,350 is a very small percentage of people to be basing this whole report off of.
No it isn’t. Statistically significant conclusions can be drawn from such sample sizes if a study is properly conducted.

Not sure on what basis you don’t believe the study.

No it isn’t. Statistically significant conclusions can be drawn from such sample sizes if a study is properly conducted.

Not sure on what basis you don’t believe the study.

It is though. If these interviews all took place within the same small area then the results could definitely be swung one way or the other based on the schools in that area, etc.

I don't believe it because I am 25, my brother is 22, and if I were to ask ANYONE that I know our age that we went to high school or college with I can guarantee you 100% that these statistics would not be accurate.

The holocaust poll seems legit but there are some obvious intrinsic bias.

The sample size was 1500 ish American adults surveyed using landline, cell, and online survey. Really, how many of them were 18-34? Trying to think about what kind of millennial has a landline, or answers a cell call from a stranger. Online survey means what? Facebook?

The poll was commissioned for a particular purpose.

Generationally we all have our faults. My mother still insists we keep our voices down when recording a TV show.

It is though. If these interviews all took place within the same small area then the results could definitely be swung one way or the other based on the schools in that area, etc.

I don't believe it because I am 25, my brother is 22, and if I were to ask ANYONE that I know our age that we went to high school or college with I can guarantee you 100% that these statistics would not be accurate.
This is ALL anecdotal — by definition. Cannot draw a single conclusion from this. Just can’t.

The polling entity is a reputable one. No reason to assume they engaged in skewed sampling that is not statistically significant. None.

Reactions: Iya
My baby, too. I'm getting so tired of Millennial bashing. My millennial is smart and driven, not unlike the majority of his friends.
If a well-conducted poll, which at least one seems to be, it’s not bashing. It’s a bad fact about that age group on average if a solid poll — it isn’t bashing.

I know... We all suck.

I don't know a single person who believes any of those things or doesn't know about those subjects (at least the bare minimum).
Do you think that’s evidence of the poll being inaccurate re the holocaust? It’s a basic statistics question: anecdotal experience vs. statistical sampling.

The poll may not be perfect — I don’t know — but after looking into it there aren’t obvious red flags about the poll itself or the organization that was hired to conduct it.

Do you think that’s evidence of the poll being inaccurate re the holocaust? It’s a basic statistics question: anecdotal experience vs. statistical sampling.

The poll may not be perfect — I don’t know — but after looking into it there aren’t obvious red flags about the poll itself or the organization that was hired to conduct it.
I do know the difference between stats and anecdotal experience. It probably is accurate for the sample they polled. But the actual population of "millennials" is pretty vast.

I do know the difference between stats and anecdotal experience. It probably is accurate for the sample they polled. But the actual population of "millennials" is pretty vast.
That’s the definition of statistical sampling; basically random sampling within a population such that statistically significant conclusions can be drawn about that population as a whole.

If they engaged in true random sampling, they can draw conclusions about millennials on average in this country, on this subject.

Your or my personal experience is not statistically significant — we can’t draw any meaningful conclusions about an entire group just from our own personal experiences with them. Our samples are too small, and our sampling is undoubtedly biased in important ways (geographically and likely others).

I say this stuff as a former biochemistry major and current finance person who took too many stats classes. ;)

But if the poll is flawed in some important way, we can’t draw conclusions. I don’t see anything that says it is, but it’s always possible.

That’s the definition of statistical sampling; basically random sampling within a population such that statistically significant conclusions can be drawn about that population as a whole.

If they engaged in true random sampling, they can draw conclusions about millennials on average in this country, on this subject.

Your or my personal experience is not statistically significant — we can’t draw any meaningful conclusions about an entire group just from our own personal experiences with them. Our samples are too small, and our sampling is undoubtedly biased in important ways (geographically and likely others).

I say this stuff as a former biochemistry major and current finance person who took too many stats classes. ;)
Again... I get it. I didn't say my comment was FACT.

I say this as a highly educated current community college student :lmao:

........Who got the one and ONLY C in stats. I'm an expert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter