Received email about closings at CBR - help!!

To those of you booked there and calling today, good luck.

I personally would change resorts! The food court is something that we visit at least a couple of times a day, and it's one reason I liked our stays at Pop (and am trying all star sports next trip). That would affect my visit a lot! Food trucks? Nice try, but I'm not interested in a food truck.

We had cbr booked for September and I was so disappointed to hear about the construction they were starting and how it is suppose to be a two year project. So begrudgingly I switched to pop. I like pop well enough but was looking forward to trying a moderate. I feel like maybe I jumped the gun and maybe Disney would have done something about it. Oh well

I plan on it. Well, at least getting my wife to call. Because she can be alot more aggressive than I.

I prefer to call this action "assertive". My husband does the same with me. I am not rude., but I don't give in when I am not in the wrong.

Not that I think being rude is the way to go. But this whole thing is ridiculous

It is rediculous. Disney did the same thing when they refurbed the Poly. Folks showed up to a construction zone, and the staff was incredibly stressed.

That's ridiculous.

A $6000 vacation, probably about $1200 at least in accommodations, and you get the "option" to either eat from a hot dog stand or pay more if you don't like it. They can't even lower the price, since they are lowering the level of what you originally agreed to pay for?

I hope no one books this place for the next 2 years. Or they drop the price down to accommodate.

Neither one will happen, but here's to hoping....

It is not an option, IMO. If I booked this resort in good faith, I expect what I paid for. If Disney changes their plans, they should at least make my plans whole. They played this game of chicken when they refurbed the Poly. No discounts, not changing resorts. No using pools at anywhere else. That did not go well for Disney.

50% off? Free Dining? No. You really wanna push free dining, don't you?

I take it you mean SS as Saratoga Springs? You can't just move people from a mod to an all DVC deluxe resort.

They do this all the time. SSR is DIsney's go to resort for a multitude of issues they create. It is an overflow when other moderate resorts are overbooked, and I bet will be the fall back when people show up to that mess at CBR. If the cast members are playing down the impact so guests accept that they will not be inconvenienced upon arrival, there are going to be some very unhappy people insisting that they be moved.

AS to the FD aspect that has been discussed, it is a reasonable accomodation if guests are asked to bump up the cost of accomodations, and now need to compromise their dining options. FD does may be a compromise if Disney refuses to discount resort costs.

Ok, interesting question then... Say they move people, and SSR fills up, but someone who owns DVC wants a reservation. The DVC person should have bumping rights since they own there over someone who paid for a moderate hotel room, correct?

Also, if I were an owner at SSR and this happened, I wouldn't be thrilled with someone who is non-DVC that is not renting points, is staying in a resort that I have partial ownership at.

You do understand that every day people who do not "own" are staying in DVC sections of the resorts, do you not?

We had cbr booked for September and I was so disappointed to hear about the construction they were starting and how it is suppose to be a two year project. So begrudgingly I switched to pop. I like pop well enough but was looking forward to trying a moderate. I feel like maybe I jumped the gun and maybe Disney would have done something about it. Oh well

once we found out about the construction this is exactly what we did, but we just felt we chose CBR for a reason, and going to pop was a different holiday, POFQ seemed a better fit for us, im so dissapointed in the wy disney has handled it, it feels like their atittude is, if tis still being booked and we are selling rooms why do anything, but people booking now can find out and make a decision, for people that booked months in advance, did book on the provisio that some facilities wont be there, really poor customer service from disney on this issue imo.

I am surprised they are not offering to help more. I am more surprised that they don't just close the resort for a short time and get the major work done quickly, once the major work is done, then re-open and work on the more minor stuff. What are they doing to OPR to close it all down?

I had a reservation for one night at CBR in December 2001 or 2002. We arrived a day early for our BWV reservation due to airfare and needed a hotel. They decided to renovate the food court and closed the entire resort down. Of course, post 9/11 they had empty rooms. The offer was to move to another moderate or pay extra to upgrade. I ended up with Boardwalk Inn for a small additional charge. That worked out well, we were already in the hotel for our move in the morning.

once we found out about the construction this is exactly what we did, but we just felt we chose CBR for a reason, and going to pop was a different holiday, POFQ seemed a better fit for us, im so dissapointed in the wy disney has handled it, it feels like their atittude is, if tis still being booked and we are selling rooms why do anything, but people booking now can find out and make a decision, for people that booked months in advance, did book on the provisio that some facilities wont be there, really poor customer service from disney on this issue imo.

It is still being booked because folks do not really understand what they will walk into upon their arrival. I bet you could make a fortune on popcorn once these unsuspecting guests arrive. A message that construction is taking place is not as strong as " Book but know that there wil be "NO QUIET POOL< NO POOL BAR< NO TS RESTAURANT> CS OPTIONS WILL BE LIMITED> CAST MEMBERS WILL BE STRESSED>AND NOISE AND DUST WILL ABOUND. FOR YOUR INCONVENIENCE THERE WILL BE NO DISCOUNTS< BUT WE WILL STATION COKE MACHINES" Now tell me how fast this resort books up.

Due to their inaction in the past during major projects like this at other resorts, this should come as no surprise.

I guess what is surprising to me is the scope of the renovation. We stayed at CBR when they were upgrading the rooms, they worked on one village at a time. We were in Jamaica and barely knew contraction was going on in the next village. Just some equipment in the parking lot and workmen walking around in the morning. Hardly and noise. We were fine with it.

This sounds beyond minor contraction or cosmetic stuff like painting the trim. This sounds major. I can't believe they are not closing the resort until they can get OPR done. Like a pp said, many are probably booking this property not knowing it will be more then just minor stuff. Sounds like it will be a construction zone between closing OPR and building the DVC. I am still stunned they are taking reservations. OTOH, they probably don't want to lose the money of closing the place down, but I can't imagine it is worth it to keep it open with all the unhappy people they will have. Why not just close it, and let folks book somewhere else? That way they won't deal with upset guests and frantic employees trying to relocate everyone who calls to complain?

It is still being booked because folks do not really understand what they will walk into upon their arrival. I bet you could make a fortune on popcorn once these unsuspecting guests arrive. A message that construction is taking place is not as strong as " Book but know that there wil be "NO QUIET POOL< NO POOL BAR< NO TS RESTAURANT> CS OPTIONS WILL BE LIMITED> CAST MEMBERS WILL BE STRESSED>AND NOISE AND DUST WILL ABOUND. FOR YOUR INCONVENIENCE THERE WILL BE NO DISCOUNTS< BUT WE WILL STATION COKE MACHINES" Now tell me how fast this resort books up.

It will still book up almost solid. The vast majority of guests will have no idea of the scope of the project. Us here on the DIS and other boards/sites like it make up such a small percentage of overall guests.

Last edited:
It will still book up almost solud. The vast majority of guests will have no idea of the scope of the project. Us here on the DIS and other boards/sites like it make up such a small percentage of overall guests.

I think you are right, but I also believe that it is on Disney to be sure that the people who do book understand what they are in for. Right now people who are calling are being misled, IMO. If a CM in reservations, who many people belive should know the business implications of a construction project, tells a caller that there will be no impact, but for an additional cost they can move to another resort, why should the guest feel any strain? The experts said it will be okay, and they are so certain the inconvenience will be minimal that they are not offering any accomodation to those who booked. This is why those people who arrived at the Poly were so mad once they arrived. How could they possible know they were going to be in teh middle of a mess when the people who they trusted to warn them did not do so?

IMO Disney is once again penny wise and dollar foolish. If I found myself blindsided upon arrival, I would not be paying one red cent more to be moved to a resort that was not under construction. Not one penny more. It is my opinion that DIsney woudl be much better prepared if they were simply hionest enough to accept that most people will not be happy with any part of their trip if they cannot return to the resort they thought they were paying for.

I guess what is surprising to me is the scope of the renovation. We stayed at CBR when they were upgrading the rooms, they worked on one village at a time. We were in Jamaica and barely knew contraction was going on in the next village. Just some equipment in the parking lot and workmen walking around in the morning. Hardly and noise. We were fine with it.

This sounds beyond minor contraction or cosmetic stuff like painting the trim. This sounds major. I can't believe they are not closing the resort until they can get OPR done. Like a pp said, many are probably booking this property not knowing it will be more then just minor stuff. Sounds like it will be a construction zone between closing OPR and building the DVC. I am still stunned they are taking reservations. OTOH, they probably don't want to lose the money of closing the place down, but I can't imagine it is worth it to keep it open with all the unhappy people they will have. Why not just close it, and let folks book somewhere else? That way they won't deal with upset guests and frantic employees trying to relocate everyone who calls to complain?

They can keep it open, but make sure that they give fair warning to those who are booking it. There are people who book resorts just a a place to sleep and shower. I am not one of those folks, but if I was, and did not care about losing amenities, or having disruption, I might consider CBR as a reasonable alternative to Value options, and book it. But I would expect that I would not be paying a moderate price.

Or they are like us and loss of those things wouldn't bother us at all. We don't eat at TS at the resort, rarely do QS at the resort either. If there is none we'll easily just eat elsewhere. No pool bar would be a bit of a pain on a trip where DGD came with us but for just DH and I, we wouldn't use that either. And unless Disney opts to work on the resort overnight I wouldn't care about noise either. Resorts are noisy in the day time. I find the kids running wild more annoying (at times) than a hammer or saw. So this construction wouldn't stop us from booking and might even draw us in if it meant a super discount. Though based on past construction projects I'm not expecting that either.

Subscribing to thread to keep up on the info. Were booked on a free dining bounce back for last two weeks of August at CBR. Hoping to find out some info on construction during that time frame if possible.

Or they are like us and loss of those things wouldn't bother us at all. We don't eat at TS at the resort, rarely do QS at the resort either. If there is none we'll easily just eat elsewhere. No pool bar would be a bit of a pain on a trip where DGD came with us but for just DH and I, we wouldn't use that either. And unless Disney opts to work on the resort overnight I wouldn't care about noise either. Resorts are noisy in the day time. I find the kids running wild more annoying (at times) than a hammer or saw. So this construction wouldn't stop us from booking and might even draw us in if it meant a super discount. Though based on past construction projects I'm not expecting that either.
I understand that for some this is not even a blip on their experience, and that is great. But for those liek me, this woudl be a huge issue. If I make teh reservation knowing full well teh ramifications of my booking, that is on me. If I make the reservation because I was led to belive that I woudl encounter very little that woudl impact my family in a negative manner, that is on Disney,

So I'm torn at the moment....do I suck it up and play the wait and see game to see if Disney provides us with some form of compensation (room discount, meal vouchers, gift cards, moving to another resort with no charge, etc ................all the while the other MOD resorts are filling up because others are upset about the construction.....or do I pay additional money now to switch to another resort to guarantee a more pleasant experience overall? decisions, decisions.

Perhaps I'll book another RO reservation for POR (the least costly option) until the dust clears on this situation at CBR....at least I keep my options open.

On another note, I have not yet received an email from Disney asking about being moved to another resort at no charge....but given others have spoken to cm's and managers already, I have a feeling I know what they will say to me

1. We had 2 rooms at cbr for the week starting May 13th totally blind sided by this. If Disney refuses to either move us to another moderate for the same price or drop the price at cbr I will cancel by the end of the week. I refuse to let Disney do this to me after booking almost a year ago. This is unacceptable and will vote with my wallet if need be.

I understand that for some this is not even a blip on their experience, and that is great. But for those liek me, this woudl be a huge issue. If I make teh reservation knowing full well teh ramifications of my booking, that is on me. If I make the reservation because I was led to belive that I woudl encounter very little that woudl impact my family in a negative manner, that is on Disney,

I agree. The closure of OPR would be a game changer for us. One of the reasons we love it is the ease of the food court when you have small kids and want a quick bite.

So I'm torn at the moment....do I suck it up and play the wait and see game to see if Disney provides us with some form of compensation (room discount, meal vouchers, gift cards, moving to another resort with no charge, etc ................all the while the other MOD resorts are filling up because others are upset about the construction.....or do I pay additional money now to switch to another resort to guarantee a more pleasant experience overall? decisions, decisions.

Perhaps I'll book another RO reservation for POR (the least costly option) until the dust clears on this situation at CBR....at least I keep my options open.

On another note, I have not yet received an email from Disney asking about being moved to another resort at no charge....but given others have spoken to cm's and managers already, I have a feeling I know what they will say to me

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Well, not willing to negatively affect our 25th anniversary trip, I made another RO reservation at POR (Standard Room....I had Water View at CBR).

For now, I guess Disney wins as they now see I am willing to pay more to move to another resort to get the same experience I expected at CBR, but I can't let Disney dictate to me how I will enjoy my vacation.

I'll hold both reservations for now in hopes Disney compensates us somehow, but at least now I have options and able to cancel one of these reservations up to May 4th.

Well, not willing to negatively affect our 25th anniversary trip, I made another RO reservation at POR (Standard Room....I had Water View at CBR).

For now, I guess Disney wins as they now see I am willing to pay more to move to another resort to get the same experience I expected at CBR, but I can't let Disney dictate to me how I will enjoy my vacation.

I'll hold both reservations for now in hopes Disney compensates us somehow, but at least now I have options and able to cancel one of these reservations up to May 4th.

I'd email them, if you don't want to call, and just tell them they are ruining your 25th anniversary.

I have to believe you will get some resolution.

We are in the UK and have stayed at CBR a dozen times. We have been there several trips when villages were being renovated ...once it really spoils it for us
We booked our Christmas 2017 vacation back I. April 2016 as there was a good deal,on.
Devastated with the news but even longer warning would not have helped us. We paid for a preferred view room which would put us in Trinidad right next to the hell so no thank you.
We contact the company we booked with and they were very helpful. They were on the phone almost an hour checking options and for very minimal cost we have switched to a royal room at POR and they have maintained all our options like free dine plan and gift card etc that are no longer being offered. Yes we have paid a little more ..l though not as much as we should have but I view it as unavoidable. Ven a years warning would not have helped us and hey have to do it at some point. I don't think they were ever going to take the decision to close the resort

What I do think is unfair is if they don't make it very very clear to any new bookers what they can expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter