Received email about closings at CBR - help!!

Just been on the UK site to look at prices for next year, and interestingly Caribbean Beach isn't even coming up as an option to book.

I am staying at CBR 4/24-4/28, I haven't contacted Disney because I really don't care. I think people are freaking out a little too much. Disney would not let one of their resorts get too messy or loud and unusable by guests. People are acting like the entire resort is going to be shut down and nothing will be available.

Quite frankly, I was originally in the "this probably won't affect us too much" camp, though I did send a brief email to Disney on Tuesday night (still haven't heard anything back) asking how this would affect our stay.

But when I started reading accounts that Disney, which is a for-profit corporation not known to give up money easily, was offering people the equivalent of a 33% discount on rooms during the time we are staying, on top of the "fun and sun" discount, I thought "this must be really bad." So I spent three hours yesterday bouncing back and forth between Disney and Orbitz trying to get a straight answer as to what, exactly, would be going on during our stay.

More than the construction, I'm ticked off about the communication (and lack thereof) on Disney's part.

I still have not been able to get anyone to commit to me in writing that there will be no construction activities or closures during our stay.

My two emails have gone unanswered and both Disney CMs and Orbitz told me that the CMs don't have access to an email system to send me such a message.

Disney has an incredibly sophisticated data gathering and data storage system. I have a difficult time believing that it cannot send out a brief correction email to those individuals with an April stay who received the initial email and state simply "we apologize for the inconvenience and stress this may have caused you, but you received the email in error. There will not be any construction activities or closures occurring during your stay." Boom, done. Then their phone lines would be freed up of people with April stays calling and they have more time to focus on to the thousands of people with May and June stays.

Quite frankly, I was originally in the "this probably won't affect us too much" camp, though I did send a brief email to Disney on Tuesday night (still haven't heard anything back) asking how this would affect our stay.

But when I started reading accounts that Disney, which is a for-profit corporation not known to give up money easily, was offering people the equivalent of a 33% discount on rooms during the time we are staying, on top of the "fun and sun" discount, I thought "this must be really bad." So I spent three hours yesterday bouncing back and forth between Disney and Orbitz trying to get a straight answer as to what, exactly, would be going on during our stay.

As others have said, my guess is that any issues you are seeing are because you booked through Orbitz. This is 100% different then booking through Disney, even if you got a discount with Disney. Orbitz rooms are highly discounted, more then anything that Disney gives to the public. It is very possible that Disney will not further discount any rate by Orbitz because of the discount that is already on those rooms. It may even prevent them from allowing a move at that same price. That is sort of the risk you take by using a third party seller like Orbitz. The rules are much MUCH stricter.

Well, no luck getting my December reservations changed. Guest services says neither PO resort was included for our dates, so they can't move us there & keep the free dining. I could of course, change resorts but lose the free dining promo. She did apply the $75 discount per night they are offering everyone.

Not entirely happy. I explained it wasn't about the money but about the resort atmosphere & amenities. But I discussed options with DDIL before I called & they didn't want to spend more money to move, so this will have to work. Truthfully, we will probably not spend much time at resort anyway. DDIL wants a day or 2 at Universal, plus lots of park time since she hasn't been in about 15 years. As long as we can get a quick bagel or pastry in the AM, we'll have to make do.

I will keep looking for other discounts but I highly doubt anything will pop up for PO. Disappointed our first trip with DS & DDIL is being affected. DH & I are there about twice a year it this will be their first vacation since their honeymoon so I would like it to go smooth. Hopefully we won't be too close to the construction zone.

More than the construction, I'm ticked off about the communication (and lack thereof) on Disney's part.

I still have not been able to get anyone to commit to me in writing that there will be no construction activities or closures during our stay.

My two emails have gone unanswered and both Disney CMs and Orbitz told me that the CMs don't have access to an email system to send me such a message.

Disney has an incredibly sophisticated data gathering and data storage system. I have a difficult time believing that it cannot send out a brief correction email to those individuals with an April stay who received the initial email and state simply "we apologize for the inconvenience and stress this may have caused you, but you received the email in error. There will not be any construction activities or closures occurring during your stay." Boom, done. Then their phone lines would be freed up of people with April stays calling and they have more time to focus on to the thousands of people with May and June stays.

Disney would never put anything in writing saying your hotel stay will not have construction or lack of services. That would be stupid of any business to do. They could not possibly promise it either. Imagine if a pipe bursts or someone poops in the pool. Then there would be construction and closures that weren't planned but had to happen. Now you have this email that guarantee that wouldn't happen so now what are they going to do. A CM caused their hands to be tied. Instead you'll get a verbal there is no construction planned at this time but if there is something unsatisfactory with your stay please see the management on staff during your visit or just there is nothing currently scheduled that is it.

Also since you booked with Orbitz it is up to them not Disney to contact you.

Well, no luck getting my December reservations changed. Guest services says neither PO resort was included for our dates, so they can't move us there & keep the free dining. I could of course, change resorts but lose the free dining promo. She did apply the $75 discount per night they are offering everyone.

Not entirely happy. I explained it wasn't about the money but about the resort atmosphere & amenities. But I discussed options with DDIL before I called & they didn't want to spend more money to move, so this will have to work. Truthfully, we will probably not spend much time at resort anyway. DDIL wants a day or 2 at Universal, plus lots of park time since she hasn't been in about 15 years. As long as we can get a quick bagel or pastry in the AM, we'll have to make do.

I will keep looking for other discounts but I highly doubt anything will pop up for PO. Disappointed our first trip with DS & DDIL is being affected. DH & I are there about twice a year it this will be their first vacation since their honeymoon so I would like it to go smooth. Hopefully we won't be too close to the construction zone.

I would check back again when regular free dinning comes out for that period. You may get luck and be able to move then with out having to lose free dinning however I imagine both POR may not be on it since they won't have construction so they know people will go there with or with out the dinning to avoid CBR and CSR.

I would check back again when regular free dinning comes out for that period. You may get luck and be able to move then with out having to lose free dinning however I imagine both POR may not be on it since they won't have construction so they know people will go there with or with out the dinning to avoid CBR and CSR.

Agree! That's what I am planning to do. Was also thinking of having DDIL play around on the WDW site in a few months & see if she can generate some kind of pin/ UOC. We don't get them since we go so often, but she has never been so she might get lucky. Also DH & I have annual passes & Tables in Wonderland expiring in Sept. Might go that route & hope for AP discounts if the reports from CBR are horrendous. Luckily we have some time to watch how things develope.

Edit to add: DH & I will be at YC in May. I'll also check what is available with the bounceback then too. You never know!

Also, I am amused that the extra fastpass is just 1 per person. Not 1 a day per person, but just 1 per person for your entire stay. The CM had me pick which day we wanted it & added a note on our reservations. I will need to call back when we are within our fastpass window to get it added so we can use it. Not ungrateful, but wouldn't one a day be more appropriate? :rolleyes:

Also, I am amused that the extra fastpass is just 1 per person. Not 1 a day per person, but just 1 per person for your entire stay. The CM had me pick which day we wanted it & added a note on our reservations. I will need to call back when we are within our fastpass window to get it added so we can use it. Not ungrateful, but wouldn't one a day be more appropriate? :rolleyes:

One a day definitely would have been better. 1 a trip doesn't do much. Also why would you need to call it really should just be a master FP linked to each person that you can chose on your whim.

One a day definitely would have been better. 1 a trip doesn't do much. Also why would you need to call it really should just be a master FP linked to each person that you can chose on your whim.

One more example that they have not figured out how to handle this.

Disney would never put anything in writing saying your hotel stay will not have construction or lack of services. That would be stupid of any business to do. They could not possibly promise it either. Imagine if a pipe bursts or someone poops in the pool. Then there would be construction and closures that weren't planned but had to happen. Now you have this email that guarantee that wouldn't happen so now what are they going to do. A CM caused their hands to be tied. Instead you'll get a verbal there is no construction planned at this time but if there is something unsatisfactory with your stay please see the management on staff during your visit or just there is nothing currently scheduled that is it.

Not that person, and have no skin in this game, but here's my unsolicited perspective. Those are unpredictable circumstances and cannot be avoided. Especially if your time is spent dealing with these problems or your personal property gets destroyed. But this is a clear cut loss of amenities and it was planned. I know they probably did not want news to get out sooner. But once their permits were approved, they should have began their backup plan for guests who would be effected by the closure of amenities. Then, they need to either contact people currently booked through WDW Travel or Travel Agents to find out what the customer wants to do, giving them one of the three options, a different resort out of certain choices, or a discount $ amount per night.

Social media allows all this information to travel fast and they need to get proactive about this stuff.

Not that person, and have no skin in this game, but here's my unsolicited perspective. Those are unpredictable circumstances and cannot be avoided. Especially if your time is spent dealing with these problems or your personal property gets destroyed. But this is a clear cut loss of amenities and it was planned. I know they probably did not want news to get out sooner. But once their permits were approved, they should have began their backup plan for guests who would be effected by the closure of amenities. Then, they need to either contact people currently booked through WDW Travel or Travel Agents to find out what the customer wants to do, giving them one of the three options, a different resort out of certain choices, or a discount $ amount per night.

Social media allows all this information to travel fast and they need to get proactive about this stuff.

I believe they did contact those booked direct and through TAs as many here have said they received the letters. Orbitz, Expedia, etc are the ones that are acting like nothing is up. The date the previous poster mentioned is one that is actually not during the construction period so Disney and Orbitz have both said yes construction is starting right after you leave but nothing should be going on while you are there in form of an inconvenience. I don't imagine Disney is just going to start construction 3 days early unless their permits cover those days. More often then not those who are earlier in the period experience fewer closures then originally expected due to delays.

This poster hasn't received any

This has thrown a wrench in my plans. I am currently booked at Pop for our adult only 20th anniversary trip. I was looking to upgrade to CBR so that i can book a King bed. With Pop starting room refurbishments, I am afraid that my king request won't be able to be accommodated. I would rather lose a few amenities and be guaranteed a king bed. I can deal with the food court set up for a week, and DH and I are not drinkers, so the pool bar being closed is no biggie for us. Will they give the CBR discounted rate when I call to change resorts?

Finally received an email response from Disney (which, contrary to what I was told yesterday, does indicate that we will be affected during our 4/21 to 4/30 stay, but I'll take the $225 in gift cards and be happy). I don't know if this is their new alternative to the $75 off per night or is just being offered for April stays.

Dear Guest,
We continue to eagerly await your arrival at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort. As that date approaches, we have some additional information for you regarding the Resort refurbishment we shared previously.

While Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters at Old Port Royale, Banana Cabana Pool Bar and Calypso Trading Post will be closed for refurbishment, there will be a variety of dining options available to you for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Centertown, a dining location, will serve a Caribbean-style buffet for breakfast and a la carte dinner offerings.
  • A selection of grab-and-go meals will be conveniently available for purchase throughout the day in three island markets located in the Aruba, Jamaica and Martinique regions of the Resort.
  • Our in-room pizza delivery service will remain available. The menu includes pizza, sandwiches and pasta.
  • Disney dining plans will be accepted for these offerings.
  • Dining locations will offer menu options to meet dietary needs.
Additionally, you will still be able to make a splash at our feature pool—Fuentes del Morro Pool—or any of our leisure pools during your stay.

Please note that noise may be heard while our Resort is being reimaged, but noise should not be heard from your Guest room between dusk and 9:00am daily.

We apologize for the inconvenience this work will cause. As a token of our gratitude for your patience and understanding, upon arrival to the Resort, you will be receiving a $25 Disney Gift Card per room for each night of your stay. This gift card can be used at participating Walt Disney World® Resort Food & Beverage and Merchandise locations, Disney Store locations in the United States, DisneyStore.com and MyDisneyPhotoPass.com. For complete terms and conditions please visit DisneyGiftCard.com.

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact your original booking agent.

• For reservations made through Disney Reservation Center or disneyworld.com, please call 407-939-1822 between the hours of 7:00am-11:00pm (ET).
  • For reservations made through Disney Vacation Club Member Services, please call 800-800-9800 or 407-566-3800 between the hours of 9:00am-7:30pm (ET) Monday through Friday or 9:00am-5:30pm (ET) Saturday and Sunday.
  • If you booked your vacation through a travel agent, please contact your travel agent directly.
Should you have any questions or concerns once you arrive, General Manager Sheryl Koenes and her team at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to hosting you as our Guest and wish you a truly magical stay!

Sincerely,

Disney Destinations LLC

Last edited:
I believe they did contact those booked direct and through TAs as many here have said they received the letters. Orbitz, Expedia, etc are the ones that are acting like nothing is up. The date the previous poster mentioned is one that is actually not during the construction period so Disney and Orbitz have both said yes construction is starting right after you leave but nothing should be going on while you are there in form of an inconvenience. I don't imagine Disney is just going to start construction 3 days early unless their permits cover those days. More often then not those who are earlier in the period experience fewer closures then originally expected due to delays.

This poster hasn't received any

I'm not sure that Disney did reach out beyond sending a form email telling people the amenities they expected would be closed. I agree, third party bookings are mostly on their own as its different rules. But for those booked at Disney, I'm simply stating they need to do a better job of anticipating problems surrounding these closures. That then needs to be communicated to their front line staff so they can appropriately handle the problems. Many got the run around and I'm sure those first line phone CMs had rough days that were not their own fault. IT training is what I do for a profession and often times we have to stress to the organization what must be done during changes in product offerings. This includes informing customer service representatives as well, which is often an afterthought.

Got the same email as above today (staying in April-May) This does not sound the same as a temporary food court to me, which some have stated is coming. I'm not complaining either as this whole debacle has saved us a ton of money on this trip.

As others have said, my guess is that any issues you are seeing are because you booked through Orbitz. This is 100% different then booking through Disney, even if you got a discount with Disney. Orbitz rooms are highly discounted, more then anything that Disney gives to the public. It is very possible that Disney will not further discount any rate by Orbitz because of the discount that is already on those rooms. It may even prevent them from allowing a move at that same price. That is sort of the risk you take by using a third party seller like Orbitz. The rules are much MUCH stricter.

It has nothing to do with the discount they offer to wholesalers it is that Disney doesn't get the OP payment information(for nightly rate) making impossible to give the money back because it will cause a whole lot of problems in the accounting side. The process would entail giving Orbitz the money back and then Orbitz giving the customer the money back which would be a headache and frankly not sure it will get done considering the amount of bookings that Orbitz handles. But what they can do is offer a GC as we saw above or any add on that the system would allow. GC being the much better option. Moving at the same price however is very doable just like they would if the overbook the rooms on the Disney side or give an upgrade.

Wanted to add that if you booked through third party and you call Disney they usually would transfer to the wholesale department which for us in previous stays have been very helpful. Once my reservation wouldn't link and she was able to quickly pull me reservation and give me the correct confirmation number.

Last edited:
So it's official and definitive. Work is starting on May 1st. Or possibly April 27th. Or maybe a bit sooner. Or...

It has nothing to do with the discount they offer to wholesalers it is that Disney doesn't get the OP payment information(for nightly rate) making impossible to give the money back because it will cause a whole lot of problems in the accounting side. The process would entail giving Orbitz the money back and then Orbitz giving the customer the money back which would be a headache and frankly not sure it will get done considering the amount of bookings that Orbitz handles. But what they can do is offer a GC as we saw above or any add on that the system would allow. GC being the much better option. Moving at the same price however is very doable just like they would if the overbook the rooms on the Disney side or give an upgrade.

Wanted to add that if you booked through third party and you call Disney they usually would transfer to the wholesale department which for us in previous stays have been very helpful. Once my reservation wouldn't link and she was able to quickly pull me reservation and give me the correct confirmation number.

The first CM I talked to at Disney yesterday morning very helpfully gave me the tip to tell Orbitz to make contact with the wholesale department (she said there was nothing they could do for us directly, that everything would have to go through Orbitz). Of course, the first two Orbtiz representatives I spoke with insisted on calling the "front desk number" that's on their system (try explaining the WDW system to a front line CSR in India). I finally did get elevated to a Tier 2 CSR at Orbitz who did made contact with the wholesale department and talked to both them and the general reservation line and was told no discounts for April stays and no moves to other resorts because we wouldn't be affected. If our stay had been in May, I do think we would have been given a discount, even though we booked through Orbitz.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter